How Can Algebra Help Solve Tricky Questions with Ease?

• Thread starter Kaustubh sri
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, the conversation is about a question posted in a forum asking for help in factoring a mathematical equation. The conversation includes a hint to look at the left hand side of the equation and recall a factor that could simplify it. However, the person receiving the hint does not think it will be helpful and the conversation ends with a reminder to follow forum guidelines.
Kaustubh sri
Question is in this way

Attachments

• 1410528995664.jpg
    1410528995664.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 379
  • 1410529216930.jpg
    1410529216930.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 208
Physics news on Phys.org
Look at the lefthand side 1 +sqrt(2) + sqrt(3) + sqrt(6)

and recall that sqrt(6) = sqrt(2) * sqrt(3)

Does that help?

I'm not sure if my hint will help but it is a curious connection to simplify the lefthand side into factors.

jedishrfu said:
Look at the lefthand side 1 +sqrt(2) + sqrt(3) + sqrt(6)

and recall that sqrt(6) = sqrt(2) * sqrt(3)

Does that help?

I'm not sure if my hint will help but it is a curious connection to simplify the lefthand side into factors.

No i think it does'nt

Kaustubh sri said:
No i think it does'nt

so it didn't help you factor the LHS or it didn't help you with the problem as a whole?

Kaustubh sri said:
Question is in this way

Do not post thumbnails. Type out the problem and the solution. Read the 'pinned' thread "Guidlines for students and helpers" by Vela, which explains the reason for this policy.

He has been warned

Related to How Can Algebra Help Solve Tricky Questions with Ease?

1. What is algebra and why is it important?

Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the manipulation and study of mathematical symbols to represent quantities and their relations. It is important because it helps us solve real-world problems, understand patterns and relationships, and develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

2. How do I solve a tricky algebra question?

To solve a tricky algebra question, it is important to first understand the problem and identify the given information. Then, use algebraic principles and equations to manipulate the given information and solve for the unknown variable. It may also be helpful to check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation.

3. What are some common algebraic equations and rules to remember?

Some common algebraic equations and rules to remember include the distributive property, which states that a(b + c) = ab + ac, and the order of operations, which is PEMDAS (Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division, Addition and Subtraction). It is also important to remember the properties of equality and how to solve equations with variables on both sides.

4. How can I improve my algebra skills?

To improve your algebra skills, it is important to practice regularly and work on a variety of problems. You can also seek help from a tutor, join a study group, or use online resources such as practice worksheets and video tutorials. It is also helpful to review basic concepts and constantly challenge yourself with more difficult problems.

5. What are some real-world applications of algebra?

Algebra has many real-world applications, such as in finance, engineering, science, and everyday life. For example, it can be used to calculate interest on loans, design structures, analyze data, and solve problems related to time, distance, and speed. It is a fundamental tool for understanding and solving many practical problems in various fields.