How can a writer break into science journalism and navigate the challenges?

In summary, Warren recommends starting by writing for magazines or journals that publish science writing that is accessible to the layman. He also recommends developing a portfolio of sample pieces that demonstrate your clarity in writing about science. Finally, he suggests contacting a science journalist from your local newspaper for advice.
chroot
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm considering trying to become a science journalist. I love to write, and believe I'm fairly good at making science accessible to the layman. I think it'd be a pretty neat job, and would be rather rewarding.

Does anyone have any tips on how to... get started? There seems to be a rather serious catch-22 in the way science journalism operates: you need to conduct interviews to get material with which to practice and build a portfolio, but no one will agree to an interview with an unknown writer.

Also, I'm not exactly looking forward to years of silent rejection by publishing companies, but I will submit if I must.

Does anyone have any advice?

- Warren

Physics news on Phys.org
Warren,

I agree that you could do this kind of writing well.

What you need to do is convince a journal or magazine or whatever that publishes the sort of thing you want to write to give you a try. Put together a portfolio of sample pieces whose purpose is to demonstrate the clarity of your science writing. Interview your old college physics professor, if you need someone to interview, it doesn't really matter for the samples.

Then you approach the journals. Once you are in the employ of one of these, even if it is a trial kind of thing, you can approach anyone saying you're a writer for the such and such Journal of Physics, or whatever, and have the necessary juice behind you to get them to seriously consider an interview.

Remember too, it's not what you know but who you know. Meet writers, who get paid for it. Every one of them knows a guy who knows a guy.

-Zooby

you mean you want to do something like, say, write for Scientific American?

zooby,

Yep, it all comes down to finding those people with whom I can do an interview. Perhaps I can try cold-writing first, without any actual interviews. Columns and short articles often need no interviews, for example. The most interesting science writing I read, however, is usually a recant of an interview.

And brum, yes, that's what I'm talking about. :smile:

- Warren

Originally posted by chroot
zooby,
Yep, it all comes down to finding those people with whom I can do an interview. Perhaps I can try cold-writing first, without any actual interviews. Columns and short articles often need no interviews, for example. The most interesting science writing I read, however, is usually a recant of an interview.
And brum, yes, that's what I'm talking about. :smile:
- Warren
Hey! I know "someone who knows someone", Greg ask if you can do, some of the interviews he does, for the forums newsletter...or not

I know no one chroot, but it sounds like a good job. It struck me I might do this someday myself! I could always contact you when I have finished my astronomy studies. :smile:

I'm considering trying to become a science journalist.

Me too! (hmm...competition)

I contacted a science journalist from my local newspaper and asked his advice. He turned out to be very helpful. The bottom line for a beginner is in developing a portfolio (like zoobyshoe said).

So far, the problem I've had is in finding the time to do it!

Perhaps, hopefully, Physics Post can be some kind of launching pad for us. (thanks Greg!)

I'm considering trying to become a science journalist. I love to write, and believe I'm fairly good at making science accessible to the layman.
- Warren
If you can post a thread that will help 'dummies' like me to understand ST and LQG and their differences (especially background dependency! - jeez, that one is just bogging me down. i need to 'see' it, and i can't) you could submit your post!
Physical science is mind-boggling to many of us life-sciencers! We just can't 'see' THAT small! (did i say that right? )

edit: Oh yeah! And supersymmetry! WHAT is THAT? :frown:

Last edited:

Related to How can a writer break into science journalism and navigate the challenges?

What is a science writer?

A science writer is a professional who communicates complex scientific information to a general audience. They use their scientific knowledge and writing skills to translate technical jargon into understandable language.

What qualifications do I need to become a science writer?

Typically, a science writer has a background in a scientific field, such as biology, physics, or chemistry. They also have strong writing skills and the ability to explain complex concepts in a clear and engaging way. Many science writers also have a degree in journalism or communications.

What types of writing do science writers do?

Science writers can work in a variety of mediums, including print, online, and broadcast. They may write articles for scientific journals, magazines, or newspapers, as well as create content for websites, blogs, and social media. Some science writers also write books, scripts for documentaries, or educational materials.

What are the benefits of being a science writer?

Being a science writer allows you to combine your passion for science with your love for writing. It also gives you the opportunity to learn about a wide range of scientific topics and share that knowledge with others. Additionally, science writing can be a fulfilling and intellectually stimulating career.

What steps can I take to become a science writer?

To become a science writer, you can start by developing your writing skills and gaining experience in scientific research. You can also take courses in science communication, journalism, or writing. Networking with other science writers and participating in internships or freelance projects can also help you gain experience and build your portfolio.