How Can a Frog's Jumping Pattern Lead to Normal Distribution Behavior?

In summary, the conversation discusses the probability density function of a random variable with a Laplace distribution and its moment generating function. The moment generating function is shown to have a mean of 0 and a variance of 2. The conversation then considers a frog jumping up and down and landing on a fixed straight line, with each jump having a Laplace distribution. The displacement from the starting point after n jumps is found to have a moment generating function of (1 - theta^2 / 2n)^-n. After considering the logarithm, it is shown that this moment generating function tends to e^(1/2x^2) as n approaches infinity. Using this information, the conversation estimates the least number of jumps for a
FeDeX_LaTeX
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Let X be a random variable with a Laplace distribution, so that its probability density function
is given by

[tex]f(x) = \frac{1}{2}e^{-|x|}[/tex]

Sketch f(x). Show that its moment generating function MX (θ) is given by

[tex]M_{X}(\theta) = \frac{1}{1 - \theta^2}[/tex]

and hence find the variance of X.

A frog is jumping up and down, attempting to land on the same spot each time. In fact, in
each of n successive jumps he always lands on a fixed straight line but when he lands from the ith jump (i = 1 , 2 , . . . , n) his displacement from the point from which he jumped is Xi cm, where Xi has the Laplace distribution described above. His displacement from his starting point after n jumps is
Y cm, so that [itex]Y = \sum_{i=1}^{n} X_{i}[/itex].

Each jump is independent of the others.

Obtain the moment generating function for [itex]\frac{Y}{\sqrt{2n}}[/itex] and, by considering its logarithm, show that this moment generating function tends to [itex]e^{\frac{1}{2}x^{2}}[/itex] as n → ∞.

Given that [itex]e^{\frac{1}{2}x^{2}}[/itex] is the moment generating function of the standard Normal random variable, estimate the least number of jumps such that there is a 5% chance that the frog lands 25 cm or more from his starting point.

Homework Equations

[itex]M_{X}(t) = E(e^{tX}) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{tx}f(x)dx[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've sketched f(x), which looks like the graph of [itex]\frac{1}{2}e^x[/itex] for x < 0 and [itex]\frac{1}{2}e^{-x}[/itex] for x > 0.

I've found the moment generating function, and deduced that it has mean 0 and variance 2.

However, I'm unable to obtain the moment generating function for [itex]\frac{Y}{\sqrt{2n}}[/itex]. The mark scheme says this:

If [itex]T = \frac{Y}{\sqrt{2n}}[/itex], then [itex]M_{T}(\theta) = E(e^{T\theta}) = E(e^{\theta \sum \frac{X_{i}}{\sqrt{2n}}}) = \prod_{i=1}^{n}E(e^{\frac{\theta}{\sqrt{2n}}X_{i}}) = \left( 1 - \frac{\theta^{2}}{2n} \right)^n[/itex]

I understand everything up until where the last part; how are they turning that product into that neat (1 - theta^2 / 2n)^n term? My approach was to say that all the Xi have the same distribution, so every term in the product is the same, and you get this:

[itex]\left( \frac{1}{\sqrt{2n}}M_{X}(\theta) \right)^n = \left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2n}(1 - \theta^{2})} \right)^n[/itex]

but this is clearly not equivalent to their answer. What have I done wrong here and what have they done to collapse their product into something so simple?

Physics news on Phys.org
FeDeX_LaTeX said:

Homework Statement

Let X be a random variable with a Laplace distribution, so that its probability density function
is given by

[tex]f(x) = \frac{1}{2}e^{-|x|}[/tex]

Sketch f(x). Show that its moment generating function MX (θ) is given by

[tex]M_{X}(\theta) = \frac{1}{1 - \theta^2}[/tex]

and hence find the variance of X.

A frog is jumping up and down, attempting to land on the same spot each time. In fact, in
each of n successive jumps he always lands on a fixed straight line but when he lands from the ith jump (i = 1 , 2 , . . . , n) his displacement from the point from which he jumped is Xi cm, where Xi has the Laplace distribution described above. His displacement from his starting point after n jumps is
Y cm, so that [itex]Y = \sum_{i=1}^{n} X_{i}[/itex].

Each jump is independent of the others.

Obtain the moment generating function for [itex]\frac{Y}{\sqrt{2n}}[/itex] and, by considering its logarithm, show that this moment generating function tends to [itex]e^{\frac{1}{2}x^{2}}[/itex] as n → ∞.

Given that [itex]e^{\frac{1}{2}x^{2}}[/itex] is the moment generating function of the standard Normal random variable, estimate the least number of jumps such that there is a 5% chance that the frog lands 25 cm or more from his starting point.

Homework Equations

[itex]M_{X}(t) = E(e^{tX}) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{tx}f(x)dx[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've sketched f(x), which looks like the graph of [itex]\frac{1}{2}e^x[/itex] for x < 0 and [itex]\frac{1}{2}e^{-x}[/itex] for x > 0.

I've found the moment generating function, and deduced that it has mean 0 and variance 2.

However, I'm unable to obtain the moment generating function for [itex]\frac{Y}{\sqrt{2n}}[/itex]. The mark scheme says this:

If [itex]T = \frac{Y}{\sqrt{2n}}[/itex], then [itex]M_{T}(\theta) = E(e^{T\theta}) = E(e^{\theta \sum \frac{X_{i}}{\sqrt{2n}}}) = \prod_{i=1}^{n}E(e^{\frac{\theta}{\sqrt{2n}}X_{i}}) = \left( 1 - \frac{\theta^{2}}{2n} \right)^n[/itex]

I understand everything up until where the last part; how are they turning that product into that neat (1 - theta^2 / 2n)^n term? My approach was to say that all the Xi have the same distribution, so every term in the product is the same, and you get this:

[itex]\left( \frac{1}{\sqrt{2n}}M_{X}(\theta) \right)^n = \left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2n}(1 - \theta^{2})} \right)^n[/itex]

but this is clearly not equivalent to their answer. What have I done wrong here and what have they done to collapse their product into something so simple?

Careful: ##M_{X/\sqrt{2n}}(\theta) = E \exp(\theta X /\sqrt{2n})= M_X(u), \: u = \theta /\sqrt{2n}.## This is NOT equal to ##(1/\sqrt{2n}) M_X(\theta).## However, you are partly right: they should not have written ##(1- \theta^2/2n)^n##; it should be ##(1- \theta^2 / 2n)^{-n}.##

Ray Vickson said:
Careful: ##M_{X/\sqrt{2n}}(\theta) = E \exp(\theta X /\sqrt{2n})= M_X(u), \: u = \theta /\sqrt{2n}.## This is NOT equal to ##(1/\sqrt{2n}) M_X(\theta).## However, you are partly right: they should not have written ##(1- \theta^2/2n)^n##; it should be ##(1- \theta^2 / 2n)^{-n}.##

Sorry, that was my typo -- they did write that term to the negative power of n.

Okay thanks, I think that makes sense -- so [itex]M_{X}(a \theta) \neq aM_{X}(\theta)[/itex]?

Thanks, it makes so much sense now, they've just replaced the theta with theta / sqrt(2n) :)

Related to How Can a Frog's Jumping Pattern Lead to Normal Distribution Behavior?

What is a moment generating function?

A moment generating function is a mathematical function that is used to uniquely identify a probability distribution. It is a tool that allows us to calculate moments of a distribution, such as the mean and variance, by taking derivatives of the function.

What is the purpose of a moment generating function?

The purpose of a moment generating function is to simplify the calculations involved in finding the moments of a distribution. It allows us to use techniques from calculus and algebra to find the moments, rather than using more complicated methods.

How is a moment generating function different from other types of generating functions?

A moment generating function is specifically used to identify probability distributions, while other types of generating functions may be used for different purposes, such as generating sequences or solving differential equations.

What are the properties of a moment generating function?

A moment generating function has several important properties, including: it is defined for all real values of the variable, it is unique to a given probability distribution, and it allows us to calculate the moments of a distribution by taking derivatives.

How is a moment generating function used in statistical analysis?

In statistical analysis, moment generating functions are used to find the moments of a distribution, which can then be used to calculate important measures such as the mean, variance, and skewness. They also play a key role in hypothesis testing and constructing confidence intervals.