How Can a Clinometer Help Determine the Max Height of a Rocket?

The initial vertical velocity is zero because the rocket is launched vertically. Therefore, the equation for the height at time t is h(t) = -1/2 * g * t^2 + Vy * t + h0, where g is the acceleration due to gravity, Vy is the initial vertical velocity (in this case, the velocity at max height), and h0 is the initial height (in this case, the height of the launch point). In summary, the problem involves finding the max height of a rocket launched from a height of 1.78m at an angle of 59 degrees, measured by an observer 50m from the launch site using a clinometer. The equation for the height at time t is
physicnoob101
Ok, so i need to find the max height that my rocket travelled, however, the only thin gi got is that a reader holding a clinometer is 50m form the launch site and is 1.78m heigh. According to him, my rocket traveled with a 59 degree in 3.83 sec (taken when the rocket's parachute came out at the top altitude).

Homework Equations

No idea, but i think that Vy = tsinTHETA might work, but i still am clue less.

The Attempt at a Solution

Like i said, i have no idea where to start

Physics news on Phys.org
A clinometer can be used to measure a slope angle or a height. In the latter case the clinometer angle is the angle between the launch point and max height point from the observer's location.

You need to know whether the observer was measuring the angle of the launch or the height of the rocket at max altitude (I suspect the latter from the wording of the problem). Some trig will be required to disentangle the observer's height from the measurement.

Related to How Can a Clinometer Help Determine the Max Height of a Rocket?

1. What factors determine the maximum height a rocket can reach?

The maximum height a rocket can reach is determined by various factors such as the thrust of the rocket, the mass of the rocket, and the drag force acting on the rocket. The design of the rocket, the weather conditions, and the launch angle also play a significant role in determining the maximum height.

2. Is there a limit to how high a rocket can go?

Technically, there is no limit to how high a rocket can go. However, in practical terms, the maximum height a rocket can reach is limited by the amount of fuel it carries, the strength of its materials, and the Earth's gravitational pull.

3. How is the maximum height of a rocket calculated?

The maximum height of a rocket can be calculated using mathematical equations that take into account factors such as the initial velocity, acceleration, and the force of gravity. These calculations are based on the laws of motion and can vary depending on the specific design and launch parameters of the rocket.

4. Can a rocket reach the same height on different planets?

No, a rocket cannot reach the same height on different planets. The maximum height a rocket can reach is affected by the gravitational force of the planet it is launched from. Planets with a higher gravitational pull will require more thrust and fuel to reach the same height as a planet with a lower gravitational pull.

5. How does the maximum height of a rocket impact its payload capacity?

The maximum height of a rocket does not directly impact its payload capacity. However, the amount of fuel needed to reach a higher height may decrease the payload capacity as there is less space and weight allowance for the payload. A rocket's design and thrust capabilities also play a role in determining its payload capacity.