How are the number of ball bearings in a roller bearing determined?

In summary, six circles can fit tightly around one which is 6 times its diameter and 12 spheres can fit tightly around one sphere which is 6 times its diameter. The ratios of inner circle diameter to outer circle diameters that result in tight fits are 1:1 and the numbers 112, 225, 338, 451, 564, 677, 790, 903 come close to achieving a tight fit. The determination of the number of ball bearings to put into a roller bearing is still unknown.
sketchtrack
Six circles fit tightly around one all of equal length, 12 spheres fit tightly around one sphere all of equal diameter.
How many circles can fit around one which is 6 times the other circles diameter?
How many spheres can fit around one sphere which is 6 times the diameter of the others?

Physics news on Phys.org
My solution:
well I'd make a quick guess that as the circumference of a circle increases as [tex]2\pi r[/tex] and the surface area of a sphere as [tex]4\pi r^2[/tex] then I'd say you'd get 6*12 = 72 circles around the new circle, and 36*12 = 432 spheres around the new sphere

Let r be the radius of the smaller circles, so 6r is the radius of the larger central circle. Consider the triangle formed by the center of the larger circle and two adjacent smaller circles. The distance between the centers of the two smaller circles is 2r and the distance from the center of either smaller circle and the center of the larger circle is 7r.
The formula for the sides of a triangle is [tex]c^2 = a^2 + b^2 - 2ab \cdot cos(\theta)[/tex] where [tex]\theta[/tex] is the central angle. So the central angle is roughly 16.42 degrees and 21 smaller circles will fit around the circumference of the larger circle with almost enough room for a 22nd one. I.e. they do not fit tightly. In the OP it mentions that the 6 circles fit tightly around the same size central circle, but does not say tightly for the larger central circle.
I was busy dipping the tips of Amy Krumplemeyer's pigtails in the inkwell in my desk on the day we did solid geometry, so I have not figured out the second part yet.

Last edited:
What ratios of inner circle diameter to outer circle diameters result in tight fits?

sketchtrack said:
What ratios of inner circle diameter to outer circle diameters result in tight fits?
I don't know of any but 1:1. However the following come close.

112 225 338 451 564 677 790 903

I wonder how they determine the number of ball bearings to put into a roller bearing.

Last edited:

Related to How are the number of ball bearings in a roller bearing determined?

1. What is the difference between a circle and a sphere?

A circle is a 2-dimensional shape with all points equidistant from the center, while a sphere is a 3-dimensional shape with all points equidistant from the center and lying on the surface of a curved space.

2. How are the circumference and diameter of a circle related?

The circumference of a circle is the distance around its outer edge, while the diameter is the distance across the circle at its widest point. The diameter is always twice the length of the radius, which is the distance from the center to the edge of the circle.

3. What is the formula for finding the area of a circle?

The formula for finding the area of a circle is A = πr², where r is the radius of the circle and π is a constant value of approximately 3.14.

4. Can a circle also be a sphere?

No, a circle and a sphere are two different shapes. A circle is a 2-dimensional shape while a sphere is a 3-dimensional shape.

5. How are the volume and surface area of a sphere related?

The volume of a sphere is equal to 4/3 times π times the radius cubed, while the surface area is equal to 4 times π times the radius squared. So, the surface area is directly proportional to the square of the radius, while the volume is directly proportional to the cube of the radius.