How are outer products quantum states?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of quantum states and tensor products in quantum mechanics. The use of expressions such as ##|u\rangle \langle v|## as operators and the notion of density matrices are also mentioned. It is clarified that these expressions do not necessarily indicate entanglement and are instead used to incorporate both quantum mechanics and classical uncertainty. The significance of using this description is also explained, as it allows for the mixing of quantum states and represents classical uncertainty and entanglement.
Rodia
In my textbook, quantum states are infinite dimensional vectors. But I was watching a lecture on QM and the professor referred to ##|v> <u|## as itself being a quantum state. Also I saw online people saying the same thing.

Are tensor products just things that tell you whether or not the two particles that created it are entangled? So ##<p|q>## is not technically a state, but rather it is just a matrix which tells you that particle 1 is in state p and particle 2 is in state q? But then, if you have a situation where the two particles are entangled, then how do you ever measure them?

By the way if this is the wrong forum to post in, sorry, it's hard to tell. 'Irreducible tensor products' don't appear in my text until a lot later and I don't know some of the notation. I noticed that ##|v><u| w> = |v>a## for a scalar ##'a'##. Whereas ##<w| v><u|= b<u|##. So that's how you can tell if there's entanglement, but then what?

If I just don't have enough knowledge for this question let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
An expression such as ##|u\rangle \langle v|## does not mean entanglement. It's an operator (or, you can think of it as an infinite square matrix).

There is a notion of "state" that uses such objects, and that is density matrices. A density matrix is an operator of the form: ##\sum_{\alpha \beta} \rho_{\alpha \beta} |\psi_\alpha\rangle \langle \psi_\beta|##, where ##|\psi_\alpha## is a complete set of orthonormal states. Sometimes people use "state" to mean the density matrix. You can think of it as a notion of "state" that incorporates both quantum mechanics and classical uncertainty.

But it doesn't have anything to do with entanglement. At least not directly.

Likes aaroman, Rodia and bhobba
## \langle p|q \rangle ## is a number. Also ## |v\rangle \langle u| ## cannot be a state (density matrix) unless ##u = v##. (A density matrix must be positive and therefore Hermitian.)

So let's say that you have ## |u\rangle \langle u| ## where ##|u\rangle## is normalized. What's the point of using this description? One point is that a vector ##e^{i\varphi}|u\rangle## for an arbitrary phase ##\varphi## physically describes the same state; the overall phase cannot be observed. Writing the outer product eliminates this unphysical phase: ## e^{i\varphi}|u\rangle \langle u|e^{-i\varphi} = |u\rangle \langle u| ## while retaining all other information that ##|u\rangle## has.

The other point is what @stevendaryl brought up: now you can "mix" quantum states, adding them in a way that cannot be done in the vector representation. ## |u\rangle \langle u| + |v\rangle \langle v| ## is very different from ## |u+v \rangle \langle u+v| ##! This new way of adding states represent two phenomena which turns out to be intimately related: classical uncertainty and entanglement. (Note that the formula for a density matrix in @stevendaryl's comment has off-diagonal terms, but it can always be diagonalized in some basis by the spectral theorem.)

Likes Rodia and DrClaude
Late correction: I meant to write ## (|u\rangle + |v\rangle) (\langle u| + \langle v|) ##, not ## |u+v\rangle \langle u+v| ## in the last reply.

Related to How are outer products quantum states?

1. What is an outer product in quantum mechanics?

An outer product in quantum mechanics is a mathematical operation that combines two quantum states to create a new state. It is represented by the tensor product symbol, and is used to describe the composite state of a quantum system made up of multiple subsystems.

2. How are outer products used to represent quantum states?

Outer products are used to represent quantum states by combining the individual states of each subsystem into a single state for the composite system. This allows for the description of entangled states, where the state of one subsystem is dependent on the state of the other subsystem.

3. What is the difference between an outer product and an inner product in quantum mechanics?

An outer product combines two states to create a new state, while an inner product takes two states and calculates a scalar value representing their overlap. Outer products are used to create composite states, while inner products are used to calculate probabilities and measure the similarity between states.

4. How do outer products relate to the concept of superposition in quantum mechanics?

Outer products are used to describe superposition in quantum mechanics by combining the individual states of a quantum system into a single state that represents the superposition of all possible states. This allows for the description of a quantum system in a state that is a combination of multiple states simultaneously.

5. Can outer products be used to describe any type of quantum state?

Yes, outer products can be used to describe any type of quantum state, including pure states, mixed states, and entangled states. They are a fundamental mathematical tool in quantum mechanics and are used to represent the states of all types of quantum systems.