How are Earthquake Magnitudes Calculated on the Richter Scale?

In summary: So you need to reverse the order of the fraction in one of the log expressions. That is,log(100/1,000,000) = 4log(1,000,000/100) = 4log(100/1,000,000,000) = 6In summary, according to the Richter scale, an earthquake with an amplitude of 1,000,000 times the reference size would have a magnitude of 4, while an earthquake with an amplitude of 1,000,000,000 times the reference size would have a magnitude of 6.
arl2267
The magnitude of an earthquake, measured on the Richter scale, is given by

R(I)= log(I/I0)

Where I is the amplitude registered on a seismograph located 100km from the epicenter of the earthquake, and I0 is the amplitude of a certain small size earthquake. Find the Richter scale ratings of earthquakes with the following amplitudes:

a) 1,000,000I0

b) 1,000,000,000I0

Okay so would the solution be

log(100/1,000,000)= -4

log(100/1,000,000,000)= -6

?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
arl2267 said:
The magnitude of an earthquake, measured on the Richter scale, is given by

R(I)= log(I/I0)

Where I is the amplitude registered on a seismograph located 100km from the epicenter of the earthquake, and I0 is the amplitude of a certain small size earthquake. Find the Richter scale ratings of earthquakes with the following amplitudes:

a) 1,000,000I0

b) 1,000,000,000I0

Okay so would the solution be

log(100/1,000,000)= -4

log(100/1,000,000,000)= -6

?

The value of 100km is meaningless in this context - ignore it. The question is giving you values of $I$ in terms of $I_0$ which means the latter will cancel out giving a number.

Your values should be positive. If you consider it logically an earthquake 1 million times stronger than a reference will be larger on the Richter scale than said reference quake.

Related to How are Earthquake Magnitudes Calculated on the Richter Scale?

What are logarithmic functions?

Logarithmic functions are mathematical functions that model the relationship between two quantities, where one quantity is a power of the other. They are the inverse of exponential functions and are commonly used in science and engineering to describe phenomena that exhibit exponential growth or decay.

How do you write a logarithmic function?

A logarithmic function is written as y = logb(x), where b is the base of the logarithm. This means that the value of y is the power to which the base b must be raised to equal x. For example, if b = 10, then y = log10(x) represents the power to which 10 must be raised to equal x.

What is the domain and range of a logarithmic function?

The domain of a logarithmic function is all positive real numbers, as the logarithm of a negative number is undefined. The range of a logarithmic function depends on the base, but for a base greater than 1, the range is all real numbers.

What are the properties of logarithmic functions?

Some key properties of logarithmic functions include:

• The logarithm of a product is equal to the sum of the logarithms of each individual factor.
  • The logarithm of a quotient is equal to the difference of the logarithms of the numerator and denominator.
  • The logarithm of a power is equal to the power multiplied by the logarithm of the base.
  • The logarithm of one is always equal to zero.

How are logarithmic functions used in science?

Logarithmic functions are used in a variety of scientific fields, including biology, physics, and chemistry. They are particularly useful in modeling exponential growth and decay, such as population growth or radioactive decay. They are also used in data analysis and signal processing to transform data that is not normally distributed into a more linear relationship for easier analysis.