How and what does it take to be a theoretical physicists?

In summary, the conversation discusses the amount of education needed for a physicist active in research, when "real" research typically begins, the job market for theoretical physicists, and concerns about job prospects and financial stability in the field. The general consensus is that a Ph.D. is necessary for research and a career in theoretical physics, and while there may not be a lot of money in the field, there are still job opportunities available. It is advised to follow your passion and find ways to make a living doing what you love.
tim_lou
how many years of colleges should be good enough for a physicists active in researches and stuffs?

mostly ph.D right? but usually, when does the "real" research begin?

i love physics... but I am not all that smart. Do theoretical physicists scratch their brains all the time to figure out theories in their office?

and could i sustain a decent life entering this field?

and what happens if a physicist do not have some significant researches done?

I'm worried about "what if" i couldn't come up with some theories in physics in the future when i put my whole life on it... would i be screwed pretty badly?

i mean i really really REALLY like physics...
so, do theoretical physicists find jobs easily? are there many demands for 'em?

Physics news on Phys.org
Facing similar dilemma here. I also really really, really like physics, especially the mathematical/theoretical side, but worry about career prospects. My solution is rather than dedicating my entire life to just maths, to get myself interested in more economically viable areas, notably plasma and materials physics, with the eventual hopes of both making money and being an `armchair' string theorist :)

This is mostly conjecture on my part mixed with a little input from advisors/mentors, but here goes:

Theoretical Physics and Money:

There is little money in theoretical physics. Some physicist or another (I think John Gribbin quoted the unknown in his book, In Search of Schrodinger's Cat) said about the 1920's "Back then, it was easy for a second rate physicist to do first rate work; nowadays it's hard for even a first rate physicist to get second rate work" Gribbin quoted that in the 80's, I think, and I'm pretty sure the situation is only mildly better for now.

Theoretical Physics Process:

Perhaps for some, it is easy to imagine everything discussed in their physics class, and actually see the math in some sort of sync'd animation in their mind, but that's rare. That's Albert Einstein, working as a patent clerk, fiddling in his spare time.

More realistic (especially for undergrads working towards a physics degree) is to get involved, in any aspect of physics you can around your university, and as you expose yourself to other physicists doing their job, assisting them and helping them, you won't be able to help but come up with your own ideas eventually.

I haven't done any research yet, I'm actually working at the research library for our Geophysics Institute for the summer. Physics is a big subject there, and we serve researchers, so it's a bit of a foot-in-the-door oppurtunity. I just recently saw a past physics professor of mine and asked him if he had any small research projects I could chew at on the weekends, and that I didn't expect pay, just because I've boggled over it so long, "What in the hell would I theorize about?"

I'm assuming that I have to 'get my hands dirty' before I can really start asking questions worth researching.

I also think it would be nice if there was a weekly newsletter published on current questions in physics for each university so that experienced researchers who come across interesting, but irrelevant questions in their research, can offer the idea up to a young, fresh grad student looking for his own research project.

You guys wouldn't go far wrong in reading PRL every month.

http://prl.aps.org/

It will it give you an insight into the latest research.

Plus, each article is limited to 4 pages - and the refereeing is extremely strict. Therefore, quality is usually guarenteed.

so do physicists have many jobs available? how hard is it to become a professor at a university?

i don't need to be like a millionaire... i just want to be a professor and be able to have a somewhat decant living. and i want to be happy doing physics.

Do not worry about money. Find something that you are good at doing, like to do, and find a way to get paid doing it. If your biggest concern is money, obtain a PhD in physics and move to a large city like Chicago or New York and make mathematical models of stock markets. Other than that, I think most schools pay their professors enough money so they can afford a descent living, it is not as if theoretical physicists are living in underpasses: http://philip.greenspun.com/careers/

Related to How and what does it take to be a theoretical physicists?

1. What is a theoretical physicist?

A theoretical physicist is a scientist who uses mathematical models and theories to explain and predict the behavior of physical systems. They work to understand the fundamental laws of nature and how they govern the behavior of matter and energy.

2. What education is required to become a theoretical physicist?

To become a theoretical physicist, one typically needs a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field, such as mathematics. Many theoretical physicists also hold a master's or doctoral degree in physics or a specific subfield, such as quantum mechanics or cosmology.

3. What skills are necessary to be a successful theoretical physicist?

A successful theoretical physicist must have a strong foundation in mathematics, problem-solving, critical thinking, and analytical skills. They must also be able to think creatively and have a deep curiosity about the workings of the universe.

4. What kind of work does a theoretical physicist do?

A theoretical physicist spends most of their time conducting research, developing and testing theories, and analyzing data. They may also collaborate with other scientists, write papers and articles, and present their findings at conferences and seminars.

5. What are some common areas of study for theoretical physicists?

Some common areas of study for theoretical physicists include quantum mechanics, relativity, particle physics, cosmology, and condensed matter physics. They may also focus on specific topics within these areas, such as string theory or the origins of the universe.