Horizontal force on frictionless ramp

In summary, the question is asking for the value of the horizontal force F and the normal force N on a 100 N box being pushed at 30 degrees on a frictionless ramp. Using the equations Fcos(theta) -mgsin(theta)=0 and N-Fsin(theta)-mgcos(theta)=0, the values for F and N are approximately 57.74 and 115, respectively. However, there is not enough information given to accurately determine these values. Additional information about the motion of the box is needed.
phunphysics2
A 100 N box is being pushed with a horizontal force F at 30 degrees on a frictionless ramp. Determine F and N (normal force). I got about 57.74 and about 115 for the second part (I don't know if it is right)

Fcos(theta) -mgsin(theta)=0 for part A

N-Fsin(theta)-mgcos(theta)=0 for part B

Please let me know what you get.

Thank you for your help! Any and all answers are much appreciated!

Attachments

• 100N.png
    100N.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 471
Physics news on Phys.org
yep, your answers look good to me :)

Thanks!

phunphysics2 said:
A 100 N box is being pushed with a horizontal force F at 30 degrees on a frictionless ramp. Determine F and N (normal force). I got about 57.74 and about 115 for the second part (I don't know if it is right)

Fcos(theta) -mgsin(theta)=0 for part A

N-Fsin(theta)-mgcos(theta)=0 for part B

Please let me know what you get.

Thank you for your help! Any and all answers are much appreciated!
There is not enough information to answer this question.

Is the box stationary?

Is it moving at a constant velocity?

Is it accelerating? If so, at what rate?

haha, yes, I was going to say that. I assumed that the box was moving at constant speed, and I got the same answer as him, so I guess he just forgot to write that in the first post.

Related to Horizontal force on frictionless ramp

1. What is a frictionless ramp?

A frictionless ramp is a ramp that has no friction between its surface and the object that is sliding or rolling on it. This means that there is no force resisting the motion of the object and it can move freely without any resistance.

2. How does the horizontal force affect an object on a frictionless ramp?

The horizontal force on a frictionless ramp does not have any effect on the object. This is because there is no friction to oppose the force and therefore, the object will continue to move with a constant velocity along the ramp.

3. What is the relationship between the angle of the ramp and the horizontal force?

The angle of the ramp does not have a direct relationship with the horizontal force on an object. The horizontal force will remain the same regardless of the angle of the ramp, as long as the ramp is frictionless.

4. Can the horizontal force change the direction of an object on a frictionless ramp?

No, the horizontal force cannot change the direction of an object on a frictionless ramp. The object will continue to move in the same direction with constant velocity due to the absence of friction.

5. How does the weight of the object affect the horizontal force on a frictionless ramp?

The weight of the object does not affect the horizontal force on a frictionless ramp. The horizontal force will remain constant regardless of the weight of the object, as long as the ramp is frictionless.