Horizontal and Vertical Velocity

In summary, a rookie quarterback throws a football with an initial upward velocity component of 16.5 and a horizontal velocity component of 18.3, and ignoring air resistance, it takes 1.68 seconds for the football to reach the highest point of the trajectory. To determine the maximum height, only the vertical components should be used, giving a value of 16.5 meters.
kgianqu2
A rookie quarterback throws a football with an initial upward velocity component of 16.5 and a horizontal velocity component of 18.3 . Ignore air resistance.

A)How much time is required for the football to reach the highest point of the trajectory?

I got 1.68s which is correct

B) How high is this point?

I can't get the right answer. I got 16.9m by doing: 0m+18.3(1.68)+1/2(-9.8)(1.68)2

Help please!

Physics news on Phys.org
kgianqu2 said:
A rookie quarterback throws a football with an initial upward velocity component of 16.5 and a horizontal velocity component of 18.3 . Ignore air resistance.

A)How much time is required for the football to reach the highest point of the trajectory?

I got 1.68s which is correct

B) How high is this point?

I can't get the right answer. I got 16.9m by doing: 0m+18.3(1.68)+1/2(-9.8)(1.68)2

Help please!

b) To determine the max height of the projectile, you only need to use the vertical components. You incorrectly used the horizontal component for the displacement formula. It should be...

s = 16.5(1.68) + ½(-9.8)(1.68)²

Thank you!

Related to Horizontal and Vertical Velocity

What is horizontal velocity?

Horizontal velocity is the rate of change of an object's position in the horizontal direction. It is the speed at which the object is moving horizontally.

What is vertical velocity?

Vertical velocity is the rate of change of an object's position in the vertical direction. It is the speed at which the object is moving vertically.

How is horizontal velocity calculated?

Horizontal velocity can be calculated by dividing the horizontal distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. It can also be calculated using the equation: horizontal velocity = initial horizontal velocity + acceleration x time.

How is vertical velocity calculated?

Vertical velocity can be calculated by dividing the vertical distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. It can also be calculated using the equation: vertical velocity = initial vertical velocity + acceleration x time.

What is the relationship between horizontal and vertical velocity?

The horizontal and vertical velocities of an object are independent of each other, meaning they do not affect each other. However, both velocities can be affected by the same force, such as gravity. This can result in changes to both the horizontal and vertical velocities of an object.