Hooke's Law Function: Exploring e^x

In summary: but you would expect them to have periods that are the same as the angular frequency of the oscillation.
whozum
I don't know anything about diff eq but:

[tex] F = ma = -kx(t) [/tex]

[tex] a = \frac{d^2(x)}{dt^2} [/tex]

[tex] -kx(t) = m\frac{d^2(x)}{dt^2} [/tex]

So we need a function whos second derivative is the same as the function itself.

I know hooke's law says the function is [tex] cos(\omega t) [/tex] but I don't see why [tex] e^x [/tex] doesn't satisfy the original condition.

Can anyone shed some light?

Physics news on Phys.org
It does,but with a complex exponent.

[tex] e^{i\omega t},e^{-i\omega t} [/tex]

are the 2 independent solutions which form a basis in the solution space.

Daniel.

It's because of the negative sign on the left side. This is why the complex exponent is required as dexter indicated (differentiate twice to get a factor of [itex](\pm i)^2 = -1[/itex] in front). The complex exponential solutions [itex]e^{i\omega t}[/itex] and [itex]e^{-i\omega t}[/itex] are equivalent to the usual [itex]\cos{\omega t}[/itex] and [itex]\sin{\omega t}[/itex], and in fact are more useful in some situations (e.g. barrier penetration in quantum mechanics).

Last edited:
So you technically could use [tex] e^{i\omega t} [/tex] ? I was thinking you could just associate the negative with the constant k/m, but you can't because mass isn't negative and a spring coefficient is the same, right?

A more physics question, where does the [tex] \omega t [/tex] come from, instead of just t?

Nope.U need to adjust the complex exponentials & constants of integration,as to cancel away all imaginary parts of the final solution.Remember that this is a physics problem whose solutions have physical meaning,namely length which must be real...

As for [itex] \omega t[/itex],it's simple:check the units in SI...That product is adimensional (the radian & the steradian are not standard units).That [itex] \omega [/itex] is the angular frequency of oscillation...

Daniel.

The signs of [itex]k[/itex] and [itex]m[/itex] are immaterial. If they are negative or positive in one place, then they are in any other as well. You can't "associate" the negative sign with them.

The solution to the ODE

[tex] \frac{d^2x}{dt^2} = -\alpha x(t)[/tex]

is always

[tex] x(t) = Ae^{-i\omega t} + Be^{i\omega t}[/tex]

where [itex] \omega = \sqrt{\alpha}[/itex]. If [itex] \alpha[/itex] happens to be negative then taking the square root will give you another [itex]i[/itex] and you'll get real exponents once simplified.

Alternatively you could group constants and just solve

[tex] \frac{d^2x}{dt^2} = \beta x(t)[/tex]

where [itex]\beta = -\alpha[/itex]. This would have the solution

[tex] x(t) = Ae^{\gamma t} + Be^{-\gamma t}[/tex]

where [itex]\gamma = \sqrt{\beta} = \sqrt{-\alpha} = i\sqrt{\alpha} = i \omega[/itex] so you get the same result as before.

In the case of your particular equation, you just have [itex] \alpha = \frac{k}{m}[/itex] so you get the familiar

[tex] \omega = \sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}[/tex]

As to your question, mathematically, the reason that you need the [itex] \omega t[/itex] instead of just [itex]t[/itex] is that otherwise your "solutions" simply won't satisfy the DE.

Take [itex]x(t) = \cos{t}[/itex]. Then

[tex] \frac{dx}{dt} = -\sin{t} \Longrightarrow \frac{d^2x}{dt^2} = -\cos{t} = -x(t) \neq -\frac{k}{m}x(t)[/itex]

on the other hand taking [itex]x(t) = \cos{\omega t}[/itex] gives

[tex] \frac{dx}{dt} = -\omega \sin{\omega t} \Longrightarrow \frac{d^2x}{dt^2} = -\omega^2 \cos{\omega t} = -\omega^2 x(t) = -\frac{k}{m}x(t)[/itex]

as you wanted.

This makes sense from a physics perspective, since I don't think you'd really expect periodic things in nature to have periods of [itex]2\pi[/itex] (this would make things way too easy! :smile:)

Last edited:

Related to Hooke's Law Function: Exploring e^x

What is Hooke's Law Function?

Hooke's Law Function is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the force applied to an elastic object and the resulting displacement of the object. It is expressed as F = kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement.

What is e^x in Hooke's Law Function?

e^x refers to the exponential function, where e is the base of the natural logarithm and x is the exponent. In Hooke's Law Function, e^x is used to model the displacement of the elastic object as a function of the applied force.

How is Hooke's Law Function used in science?

Hooke's Law Function is used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and biology, to study the behavior of elastic materials. It is also used to design and analyze structures that involve springs, such as suspension systems and shock absorbers.

What is the significance of the spring constant in Hooke's Law Function?

The spring constant, represented by k in Hooke's Law Function, is a measure of the stiffness of an elastic object. It determines how much force is needed to produce a certain amount of displacement in the object. The higher the spring constant, the stiffer the object.

What is the relationship between force and displacement in Hooke's Law Function?

According to Hooke's Law Function, the force applied to an elastic object is directly proportional to the displacement of the object. This means that as the force increases, the displacement also increases in a linear manner. The relationship between the two is described by the spring constant, k.