Hookes law for stress and strain

In summary, the most general linear relationship between stress and strain is of the form:σij = λuij + λδij∑kukk
aaaa202
I need help understanding a passage in my textbook, where the form of hookes law in continuous elastic media is explained. It says:
"The absence of internal directions in isotopic matter tells us that there are only two tensors available to construct a linear relation between the the stress tensor and the strain tensor. One is the strain tensor itself and the other is the kronecker delta multiplied by the trace of the strain tensor. Consequently the most general strictly linear tensor relation between stress and strain is of the form:
Here follows a linear relation between the stress- and strain tensor involving the strain tensor and its trace in separate terms.
"
I don't really understand all this. Why is only the strain tensor and its trace avaible for constructing a linear relation between the two tensors? Does it have to do with the fact that we would like Hookes law to be invariant under change of directions, since the symmetry dictates that there are no internal directions?

Physics news on Phys.org
aaaa202 said:
I need help understanding a passage in my textbook, where the form of hookes law in continuous elastic media is explained. It says:
"The absence of internal directions in isotopic matter tells us that there are only two tensors available to construct a linear relation between the the stress tensor and the strain tensor. One is the strain tensor itself and the other is the kronecker delta multiplied by the trace of the strain tensor. Consequently the most general strictly linear tensor relation between stress and strain is of the form:
Here follows a linear relation between the stress- and strain tensor involving the strain tensor and its trace in separate terms.
"
I don't really understand all this. Why is only the strain tensor and its trace avaible for constructing a linear relation between the two tensors? Does it have to do with the fact that we would like Hookes law to be invariant under change of directions, since the symmetry dictates that there are no internal directions?
No. It has nothing to do with this. It's mathematical. Try to construct another tensorial form that is linear in the strain tensor.

Chet

I don't understand. So according to what you say we have that the most general relation is:

σij = λuij + λδijkukk

But what goes wrong if you try to put in terms proportional to other entries in the matrix u? Actually I'm not even sure if the above expression is correct.

aaaa202 said:
I don't understand. So according to what you say we have that the most general relation is:

σij = λuij + λδijkukk

But what goes wrong if you try to put in terms proportional to other entries in the matrix u? Actually I'm not even sure if the above expression is correct.
The above equation is the most general linear relationship (I'm assuming you are calling u the strain tensor, which I call E). If F(E) is a tensorial function of the strain tensor E, then we can use the Cayley Hamilton theorem to represent F by ##F = α I + βE+γE^2##, where α, β, and γ are functions of the invariants of E. This is linear in E only if α is a function of the trace of E (which is the only invariant that is linear in the components of E), β is a constant, and γ =0.

Chet

Related to Hookes law for stress and strain

What is Hooke's Law for stress and strain?

Hooke's Law is a principle in physics that describes the relationship between stress and strain in a solid material. It states that the stress applied to a material is directly proportional to the strain it produces.

What is the mathematical equation for Hooke's Law?

The mathematical equation for Hooke's Law is stress = modulus of elasticity x strain. This equation can also be written as F = kx, where F is the force applied, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement.

What is the significance of Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law is significant because it allows us to predict the amount of deformation a material will experience when a certain amount of stress is applied. It is also used in the design and engineering of structures and machines.

What is the difference between stress and strain?

Stress is defined as the force per unit area applied to a material, while strain is the measure of how much a material is deformed or stretched from its original shape due to stress. Stress is a measure of force, while strain is a measure of deformation.

What are some real-world examples of Hooke's Law?

Some real-world examples of Hooke's Law include the stretching or compression of a spring, the bending of a diving board, and the deformation of rubber bands. It is also applicable in the design of buildings, bridges, and other structures that need to withstand external forces.