Homework question concerning simple harmonic motion

In summary, to find the position at which 50% of the energy of a system with a period of 3 seconds and a 4 kg mass oscillating with an amplitude of 0.7 meters is in the form of kinetic energy, you can use the equations (1/2)kA^2 = (1/2)kx^2 + (1/2)mv^2 and kx^2 = mv^2 simultaneously to solve for both x and v.
robf224

Homework Statement

A system has a period of 3 seconds. The 4 kg mass oscillates with an amplitude of 0.7 meters. At what position is 50% of its energy in the form of kinetic energy and what is its velocity then?

Homework Equations

work = Potential energy + Kinetic energy
(1/2)kA^2 = (1/2)kx^2 + (1/2)mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I found k = 17.55 Newton meters.
So, I was thinking of two possible approaches:
a.) (1/2)kA^2 - (1/2)kx^2 = (1/2)mv^2
b.) kx^2 = mv^2

I'm pretty sure I'd use my second idea. If that's right, what would I plug in for x? The amplitude?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you are correct to use kx^2 = mv^2. Your term 0.5kA^2 is the same thing as 0.5kx^2, the only difference is that "amplitude" can mean more than 1 direction.

So for example if your mass could go in either the X or Y direction, 0.5kA^2 = 0.5kx^2 + 0.5ky^2

So just use option B.

Hi robf224,

I don't think you should use either of your two equations separately. The first equation contains the total energy, and the second has the 50% condition. But you now have two equations with two unknowns and can solve the two equations simultaneously to find both x and v.

Related to Homework question concerning simple harmonic motion

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion refers to the repetitive back-and-forth motion of an object around an equilibrium point, caused by a restoring force that is proportional to the displacement of the object.

2. What are some examples of simple harmonic motion?

Some examples of simple harmonic motion include the swinging of a pendulum, the vibration of a guitar string, and the motion of a mass attached to a spring.

3. How is the period of simple harmonic motion calculated?

The period of simple harmonic motion is calculated by taking the reciprocal of the frequency, or by using the equation T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass of the object, and k is the spring constant.

4. What is the relationship between amplitude and maximum potential energy in simple harmonic motion?

The relationship between amplitude and maximum potential energy in simple harmonic motion is that the maximum potential energy is directly proportional to the square of the amplitude. This means that as the amplitude increases, the maximum potential energy also increases.

5. How does damping affect simple harmonic motion?

Damping refers to the gradual decrease in amplitude of simple harmonic motion due to external forces, such as friction. It can affect the period and amplitude of the motion, causing it to eventually come to a stop at the equilibrium point.