Homework Help based on the equations of motion

In summary: So, you need to find the two times when the projectile has a speed of 15 m/s. One of these will be on the way up, and one will be on the way down.In summary, a particle is projected vertically upwards at 30 m/s and reaches its maximum height in 3 seconds. The two times at which the particle is 40 m above the point of projection can be found using the equations for vertical motion and solving for the two roots. Similarly, the two times at which the particle is moving at 15 m/s can also be found by plugging in the given speed into the equations and solving for the two roots.
risingabove

Homework Statement

A particle is projected vertically upwards at 30 m/s. Calculate (a) how long it takes to reach its maximum height, (b) the two times at which it is 40 m above the point of projection, (c) the two times at which it is moving at 15 m/s.2. Homework Equations [/b
final velocity (v)
initial velocity (u)
acceleration due to gravity (a) = 10m/s^2
time (t)
Distance or displacement (s)
v^2=u^2 + 2as
v=u+at
s=ut+1/2 at^2
s=1/2(u+v)t

The Attempt at a Solution

I first find the maximum height, this is where i used the equation v^2=u^2 +2as
0^2=30^2 + 2(10)s
s=45 m maximum height

then i used that value and plugged into the equation to find time
45= 1/2 (30+0)t
t= 3seconds

therefore total time is 3 seconds for the particle to reach its maximum height.

part (b) is where i am stuck

however i move on to part (c)
and i plugged in the values in the equation
15=30-10t
t=1.5 seconds

however the question asked for two (2) times. so i am also stuck with finding the second time...

Physics news on Phys.org
risingabove said:

Homework Statement

A particle is projected vertically upwards at 30 m/s. Calculate (a) how long it takes to reach its maximum height, (b) the two times at which it is 40 m above the point of projection, (c) the two times at which it is moving at 15 m/s.

2. Homework Equations [/b
final velocity (v)
initial velocity (u)
acceleration due to gravity (a) = 10m/s^2
time (t)
Distance or displacement (s)
v^2=u^2 + 2as
v=u+at
s=ut+1/2 at^2
s=1/2(u+v)t

The Attempt at a Solution

I first find the maximum height, this is where i used the equation v^2=u^2 +2as
0^2=30^2 + 2(10)s
s=45 m maximum height

then i used that value and plugged into the equation to find time
45= 1/2 (30+0)t
t= 3seconds

therefore total time is 3 seconds for the particle to reach its maximum height.

part (b) is where i am stuck

however i move on to part (c)
and i plugged in the values in the equation
15=30-10t
t=1.5 seconds

however the question asked for two (2) times. so i am also stuck with finding the second time...

Welcome to the PF.

When they are asking for 2 times, one will be on the way up, and the other on the way down. There is a squared term in the equation for the vertical motion, and you should be able to use both roots in solving for the two times. Does that help?

no sorry I am lost...

risingabove said:
no sorry I am lost...

When the problem says, "...it is moving at 15 m/s", this is giving you a value for the speed of the projectile.

A speed of 15 m/s can mean the projectile is going up (+15 m/s) or down (-15 m/s). Speeds don't have directions associated with them, velocities do :wink:

Your approach to finding the maximum height and time is correct. For part (b), you can use the equation s=ut+1/2at^2 to find the two times at which the particle is 40m above the point of projection. Since the initial velocity is 30 m/s and acceleration is -10 m/s^2 (due to gravity), the equation becomes:

40=30t+1/2(-10)t^2

Solving for t gives two values, t=1 second and t=4 seconds. Therefore, the particle is 40m above the point of projection at 1 second and 4 seconds.

Similarly, for part (c), you can use the equation v=u+at to find the two times at which the particle is moving at 15 m/s. Plugging in the values, the equation becomes:

15=30-10t

Solving for t gives two values, t=1.5 seconds and t=3 seconds. Therefore, the particle is moving at 15 m/s at 1.5 seconds and 3 seconds.

Remember to always check your units and make sure they are consistent throughout the calculations. Also, it is helpful to draw a diagram or visualize the motion to better understand the problem. Great job on your attempt and keep up the good work!

1. What are the three equations of motion?

The three equations of motion are velocity (v) = initial velocity (u) + acceleration (a) x time (t), displacement (s) = initial velocity (u) x time (t) + 1/2 x acceleration (a) x time (t)^2, and final velocity (v) = square root of initial velocity (u)^2 + 2 x acceleration (a) x displacement (s).

2. How do I know which equation to use for a given problem?

The equation you use depends on what information is given and what you are trying to find. If you are given the initial velocity (u), acceleration (a), and time (t), you can use the first equation. If you are given the initial velocity (u), time (t), and displacement (s), you can use the second equation. If you are given the initial velocity (u), acceleration (a), and displacement (s), you can use the third equation.

3. Can I use these equations for any type of motion?

Yes, these equations can be used for any type of motion as long as the acceleration is constant. If the acceleration is not constant, more advanced equations or techniques may be needed.

4. What units should I use when plugging in values for the equations?

The units for velocity (v) should be in meters per second (m/s), acceleration (a) should be in meters per second squared (m/s^2), time (t) should be in seconds (s), and displacement (s) should be in meters (m).

5. Can these equations be used for objects moving in three dimensions?

These equations are typically used for objects moving in one dimension, but they can be applied to objects moving in three dimensions if the motion is only in one direction. In this case, the equations would be used separately for each dimension.