Homework Help 3D vectors problem solving

In summary: You're doing simple algebra!In summary, the vector v=(1,√2,c) makes an angle of 60° with the positive z-axis. To determine the angles that v makes with the positive x-axis and the positive y-axis, the dot product method was used. Using the formula for the angle between two vectors, it was found that the angle between (1,√2,c) and (0,0,1) is 60°. With this information, the dot product equation was set up and simplified, leading to the equation c=√(3+c^2). However, after squaring both sides and solving for c, it was determined that there is no specific value for c and therefore
16leafs
Homework Help! 3D vectors problem solving!

Homework Statement

the vector v=(1,√2,c) makes an angle of 60° with the positive z-axis. Determine the angles that v makes with the positive x-axis and the positive y-axis. Explain how many answers there are.

Homework Equations

dot product, geometry, cosine,sine,tan

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by drawing the 3D vector with the x,y,z axis's and place a point on the z axis for c. I then tried using geometry with the 60 degrees and the drawn vector to find other angles and also used cosine, sine and tan with the values 1 and root 2. None of the methods seemed to work and am very confused as to what I should do next.

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi 16leafs! welcome to pf! :smile:
16leafs said:
the vector v=(1,√2,c) makes an angle of 60° with the positive z-axis.

the angle between (1,√2,c) and (0,0,1) is 60°

so use the formula for the angle between two vectors! :wink:

start with the dot product of z dot v = |z| |v| cos (60) and recall that z is a unit vector and that cos(60) = 1/2 then solve for c

Now can you see how many solutions for c there from the |z| |v| cos(60) equation?

thanks for the replies, I really appreciate the help. I'm still confused as to why you gave c a value of unit vector one though?

16leafs said:
thanks for the replies, I really appreciate the help. I'm still confused as to why you gave c a value of unit vector one though?

You can choose z to be any vector along the positive z axis. It doesn't really matter, but picking z=(0,0,1) would be the simplest choice, yes?

The value for c would actually be different if you chose the vector [0,0,2] as for the positive z-axis. However, I believe the angles would all be the same.

Karnage1993 said:
The value for c would actually be different if you chose the vector [0,0,2] as for the positive z-axis. However, I believe the angles would all be the same.

Nah, if you put z=[0,0,2] in then you get 2c in the dot product. But |z|=2. They'll just cancel out.

ok (0,0,1) would seem the simplest, but how would i use the dot product method to solve for c because when i tried using (0,0,1), and then (0,0,2) i got different answers?

Dick said:
Nah, if you put z=[0,0,2] in then you get 2c in the dot product. But |z|=2. They'll just cancel out.

Yup, you're right. I was doing sqrt(2) for the magnitude for some reason.

@16leafs, you solve for c by doing

##[1, \sqrt{2},c] \cdot [0,0,1] = ||[1, \sqrt{2}, c] || \cdot ||[0,0,1]|| \cos{60}##

When i simplify the equation, the c is canceled out and I am left with no variable?

16leafs said:
When i simplify the equation, the c is canceled out and I am left with no variable?

That's wrong. Show your work.

[1,2√,c]⋅[0,0,1]= (1)(0)+(2√)(0)+(c)(1)= c

lzl=√1^2= 1

lvl= √(1^2+√2^2+c^2)= (√3)c

c=(√3)c*1*cos60

Im using equations we have used in class but it doesn't seem to work with c variable on both sides

16leafs said:
[1,2√,c]⋅[0,0,1]= (1)(0)+(2√)(0)+(c)(1)= c

lzl=√1^2= 1

lvl= √(1^2+√2^2+c^2)= (√3)c

c=(√3)c*1*cos60

Im using equations we have used in class but it doesn't seem to work with c variable on both sides

sqrt(1+2+c^2)=sqrt(3+c^2). That isn't equal to sqrt(3)*c.

so its √3+c? giving me c=(√3+c)*1*cos60 which c's will still cancel?

sorry they don't cancel. so c=√3?

16leafs said:

No offense, but your algebra is atrocious. You get c=sqrt(3+c^2)*1*cos(60). Figure out what cos(60) is and try to solve for c.

16leafs said:

No, √(3 + c^2) ≠ √3 + c. Just leave it as √(3 + c^2) since you cannot simplify it any more. From here, trying squaring both sides.

c^2=3/2+0.5c^2

0.5c^2=3/2

c=√3?

No, that's not right. When I said square both sides, I didn't say to ignore the 1/2 that was from the cos(60). You still need to square that. Come on!

Related to Homework Help 3D vectors problem solving

1. What are 3D vectors and how are they used in problem solving?

3D vectors are mathematical objects that have both magnitude and direction, and can be represented in a three-dimensional space. They are commonly used in problem solving to represent physical quantities such as position, velocity, and force. They are also used in computer graphics and engineering to represent geometric transformations and operations.

2. How can I determine the magnitude and direction of a 3D vector?

The magnitude of a 3D vector can be determined using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the magnitude is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of its components. The direction can be determined by finding the angle between the vector and a reference axis, such as the x, y, or z-axis.

3. What is the cross product of two 3D vectors and how is it calculated?

The cross product of two 3D vectors is a new vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors. It is calculated by taking the determinant of a 3x3 matrix formed by the components of the two vectors and using the right-hand rule to determine its direction.

4. Can 3D vectors be added and subtracted?

Yes, 3D vectors can be added and subtracted using vector addition and subtraction rules. In vector addition, the components of the vectors are added together to form a new vector. In vector subtraction, the components of the second vector are subtracted from the components of the first vector to form a new vector.

5. How can 3D vectors be used to solve real-world problems?

3D vectors are used in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics, to solve real-world problems. For example, in physics, 3D vectors can be used to calculate the trajectory of a projectile or the force acting on an object. In engineering, they can be used to determine the magnitude and direction of a force on a structure or the displacement of a moving object. In computer graphics, 3D vectors are used to create and manipulate 3D objects and animations.