Hodge Dual as Sequence of Grade Reducing Steps

In summary, this operation can be used to express a binary function between vector spaces of the same dimension.
MisterX
If we seek a bijection $$\wedge^p V \to \wedge^{n-p} V$$ for some inner product space ##V##, we might think of starting with the unit ##n##-vector and removing dimensions associated with the original vector in ##\wedge^p V ##. Might this be expressed as a sequence of steps by some binary function ##G##,
$$\star \left( \mathbf{x} \wedge \mathbf{y} \right) = G\Big(\mathbf{x}, G\big( \mathbf{y}, \mathbf{e}_1 \wedge \dots \wedge \mathbf{e}_n\big)\Big) $$
in which case how might we express ##G##?

Physics news on Phys.org
MisterX said:
If we seek a bijection $$\wedge^p V \to \wedge^{n-p} V$$ for some inner product space ##V##, we might think of starting with the unit ##n##-vector and removing dimensions associated with the original vector in ##\wedge^p V ##. Might this be expressed as a sequence of steps by some binary function ##G##,
$$\star \left( \mathbf{x} \wedge \mathbf{y} \right) = G\Big(\mathbf{x}, G\big( \mathbf{y}, \mathbf{e}_1 \wedge \dots \wedge \mathbf{e}_n\big)\Big) $$
in which case how might we express ##G##?

May I ask why seek a bijection this way? As you probably know, the dimension of ##\wedge^p V## and ##\wedge^{n-p} V## is ##\binom {n} {p}##. Since they already have the same dimension, there is a vector space isomorphism, which you can find in proofs like http://math.stackexchange.com/quest...ctor-spaces-of-equal-dimension-are-isomorphic. A more interesting question, is whether there is a map which shows that ##\wedge^p V## and ##\wedge^{n-p} V## have the same graded structure. I don't know what grade preserving maps are called. Maybe that is what you are trying to find?

Lucas SV said:
May I ask why seek a bijection this way? As you probably know, the dimension of ##\wedge^p V## and ##\wedge^{n-p} V## is ##\binom {n} {p}##. Since they already have the same dimension, there is a vector space isomorphism, which you can find in proofs like http://math.stackexchange.com/quest...ctor-spaces-of-equal-dimension-are-isomorphic. A more interesting question, is whether there is a map which shows that ##\wedge^p V## and ##\wedge^{n-p} V## have the same graded structure. I don't know what grade preserving maps are called. Maybe that is what you are trying to find?
Well I was trying to actually express the map (in a coordinate free way), not just prove it exists. But I was also curious if I could find other uses for this operation.

Related to Hodge Dual as Sequence of Grade Reducing Steps

What is the Hodge Dual?

The Hodge Dual is a mathematical operation that takes a multivector in a vector space and returns another multivector, which is the orthogonal complement of the original multivector. It is often used in differential geometry and physics.

How is the Hodge Dual calculated?

The Hodge Dual can be calculated by first reducing the grade of the original multivector by applying the exterior product with the pseudoscalar. Then, the resulting multivector is multiplied by the pseudoscalar again and the sign is changed based on the number of dimensions in the vector space.

What is the significance of the Hodge Dual?

The Hodge Dual is significant because it allows for the calculation of important quantities in differential geometry, such as the volume of a manifold and the curl of a vector field, by using simpler operations like the exterior product and the dot product.

Can the Hodge Dual be applied to any vector space?

Yes, the Hodge Dual can be applied to any vector space with an inner product defined. However, the resulting multivector may not always have a physical interpretation.

Are there any real-world applications of the Hodge Dual?

Yes, the Hodge Dual has many real-world applications, especially in physics and engineering. It is used in fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and general relativity to calculate quantities like flow rate, magnetic field strength, and gravitational force.