History of the modeling of light

In summary, the photoelectric effect was first approached by Einstein in 1905, but it was not until 1926 that it was shown that a quantum detector responds to classical light according to Einstein's formulas. This was further explored in 1964 by Mandel, Sudarshan, and Wolf. Nonclassical effects only appear when highly nonclassical light is used in experiments. Further developments in the modeling of light were made, leading to the modern concept of light according to quantum electrodynamics. Schrödinger's research also contributed to this understanding, as seen in his IVth paper on "Quantization as eigenvalue problem". Interestingly, Stokes had described the qubit in 1852, showing the continuous developments
A. Neumaier
Science Advisor
Insights Author
vanhees71 said:
Einsteins 1905 approach to the photoelectric effect, which in fact does not prove the necessity to quantize the electromagnetic field
vanhees71 said:
I don't know, who first did the derivation
That a quantum detector responds to classical light precisely according to Einstein's formulas for the photoeffect was already shown briefly in 1926 (the year the Schroedinger equation was born) by Wentzel, and was described in full detail in 1964 (when the development of the laser strongly stimulated the investigation of light matter interactions) by Mandel, Sudarshan and Wolf. Nonclassical effects appear only in experiments where highly nonclassical light is used.

For a history of the modeling of light from Huygens' wave optics to the modern concept of light according to quantum electrodynamics see the slides of my lecture on Classical Models for Quantum Light given on April 7, 2016 at the University of Linz. See also the slides for Part II, given the next day, where I draw conclusions related to my thermal interpretation of quantum mechanics.

Last edited:
Likes kith, dextercioby, Simon Phoenix and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks a lot. Of course, it turns out that Schrödinger had this in his IVth paper of the famous series on "Quantization as eigenvalue problem". It's the complete theory of dispersion from the point of view of his wave mechanics. It's cited by Wentzel in the above cited paper.

Likes Simon Phoenix
A. Neumaier said:
That a quantum detector responds to classical light precisely according to Einstein's formulas for the photoeffect was already shown briefly in 1926 (the year the Schroedinger equation was born) by Wentzel,

That's cool - I didn't know that - thanks for this.

When I first started out in quantum optics (not even a decade after Mandel's anti-bunching experiment) it was still an active area trying to figure out genuinely quantum mechanical features of light. It still kind of surprises me that it took so long (not a criticism - more a comment on the subtlety and difficulty of pinning it down properly).

I'd mistakenly thought it was Lamb who first did this (or possibly Jaynes who was big into semi-classical treatments)

vanhees71 said:
it turns out that Schrödinger had this in his IVth paper of the famous series on "Quantization as eigenvalue problem"

Also very cool - and thanks for this. I need to read more of the original papers - these guys were amazing. It must have been an awesome time to be doing physics.

Simon Phoenix said:
I didn't know that - thanks for this.
Did you know that Stokes described the qubit already in 1852? It is also in my history slides...

Related to History of the modeling of light

What is the history of the modeling of light?

The history of the modeling of light dates back to ancient Greece, where philosophers such as Pythagoras and Euclid proposed theories about the nature of light. In the 17th century, scientists like Isaac Newton and Christiaan Huygens began to develop mathematical models to explain the behavior of light.

Who were some key figures in the history of the modeling of light?

Some important figures in the history of the modeling of light include Isaac Newton, Christiaan Huygens, and Thomas Young. Each of these scientists made significant contributions to our understanding of the nature of light through their experiments and theories.

What are some key developments in the history of the modeling of light?

One of the key developments in the history of the modeling of light was the wave-particle duality theory proposed by Thomas Young in the 19th century. This theory helped explain the behavior of light as both a wave and a particle, and laid the foundation for modern quantum mechanics.

How has the modeling of light evolved over time?

The modeling of light has evolved significantly over time, with advancements in technology and scientific understanding. From the early theories of ancient philosophers to the modern quantum mechanical models, our understanding of light continues to expand and improve.

What are some practical applications of the modeling of light?

The modeling of light has many practical applications in fields such as optics, astronomy, and telecommunications. It has also led to the development of technologies like lasers, fiber optics, and solar panels. Additionally, our understanding of light has allowed us to see and study objects in the universe that would otherwise be invisible, such as distant galaxies and black holes.