Historical: Mechanized cutting of stone vs. concrete

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of cut stone in ancient and modern structures. The question is raised about whether there was ever a culture that used machine-cut stone extensively, with examples provided of the Romans and Germans using machine-cut marble and granite. It is noted that structural concrete and steel are now the main materials used for large structures, with fired brick for smaller ones. The conversation also includes links to resources for further information on the topic.
Breeze
Hello.

I've just found this forum as I am looking for an answer to a question. For what it's worth, by way of introduction, I am a software and telephony engineer, with interests in aviation, boat design, and energy-efficient houses. I also write when I can.

Here's my question.

Plenty of ancient and old structures use cut stone structurally. The Romans (and, I have found with a quick Google) the Egyptians used mortar as a bonding agent, to extend the capabilities of stone and fired brick (fired brick being an Indian invention of about 3000 BC).

Structural concrete seems to be a 19th-century French invention, and (along with steel) is the usual material for large structures today.

My question is: Was there ever a culture that used machine-cut stone much? Or did everyone go from natural (or hand-cut) structural stone, to structural concrete and steel, with fired brick for smaller structures? I can't even think of an example of a structure that used machine-sawn stone.

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
i sell coordinate measurement machines made in Germany..they are made with granite that is mecahnically cut then ground and hand lapped to microns flatness..many components of structures use granite,,all are cut with a diamond rope saw to rough dimensions and machined to tight tolerances..

Aberdeen the granite city
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00ml5wx/Jonathan_Meades_Off_Kilter_Episode_1/
About 20 minutes in he goes on about cutting the granite.

Last edited by a moderator:
Breeze said:
My question is: Was there ever a culture that used machine-cut stone much?
The romans had machine cut marble. It's fairly simple to just mount a few saw blades in a frame and move it back-forth with a treadmill.
It was probably to get uniform thin sheets of marble for decorative use.

Related to Historical: Mechanized cutting of stone vs. concrete

1. How did the mechanized cutting of stone differ from cutting concrete historically?

Historically, the mechanized cutting of stone involved the use of hand tools such as chisels and hammers to shape and cut stone. On the other hand, cutting concrete involved the use of more advanced tools such as saws, drills, and grinders.

2. When did the mechanized cutting of stone and concrete begin to replace manual methods?

The mechanized cutting of stone and concrete began to replace manual methods in the late 19th and early 20th centuries with the invention and advancement of steam-powered and then electric-powered tools.

3. What were some advantages of using mechanized cutting for stone and concrete?

Mechanized cutting offered increased efficiency and precision compared to manual methods. It also allowed for larger and more complex structures to be built, as well as a faster construction process.

4. Were there any disadvantages to using mechanized cutting for stone and concrete?

One potential disadvantage of mechanized cutting was the higher cost associated with purchasing and maintaining the necessary tools and machinery. It also required a skilled workforce to operate the machinery effectively.

5. How has mechanized cutting of stone and concrete evolved over time?

Since its inception, mechanized cutting technology has continued to advance and improve. Today, there are a variety of tools and techniques available for cutting stone and concrete, including laser cutting and diamond-tipped blades, allowing for even greater precision and efficiency.