Hindmarsh rose model with delay (dde)

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with using the MATLAB dde23 solver to evaluate the delayed HR model. The model involves three differential equations and the question is how to set the history values for the delayed variable. The three suggested options are to use x(t) = x(0), x(t) = 0, or x(t-tau) = x(t) for t < 0. The conversation also mentions that the dde23 solver should work for this problem, and another potential solution is Simon Wood's solv95 program.
kaledh
hi all,

I have a problem using the MATLAB dde23 solver to evaluate the delayed HR model:

dx/dt = y(t) - a*x(t)^3 + b*x(t)^2 - z(t) + e (x(t-tau) - x(t))

dy/dt = c - d*x(t)^2 - y(t)

dz/dt = r [ s*(x(t) - xo) - z(t)]

how could I set the history values (-tau<t<0)?

it is possible use the dde23 solver or I must use some approximation? if so what's the best approximation method?

please help me.
tnx

Physics news on Phys.org
kaledh said:
hi all,

I have a problem using the MATLAB dde23 solver to evaluate the delayed HR model:

dx/dt = y(t) - a*x(t)^3 + b*x(t)^2 - z(t) + e (x(t-tau) - x(t))
dy/dt = c - d*x(t)^2 - y(t)
dz/dt = r [ s*(x(t) - xo) - z(t)]

how could I set the history values (-tau<t<0)?

it is possible use the dde23 solver or I must use some approximation? if so what's the best approximation method?

please help me.
tnx

Hi,

I should have thought that the simplest thing to do would be just to put x(t) = x(0) for all t<0. An alternative would be x(t)=0 for t<0: this would imply that the delayed variable simply 'doesn't exist' before t=tau. Finally, you could put x(t-tau)=x(t)for t<0: this is tantamount to solving the undelayed ODE up to t-tau, and putting the delay in for t>tau. You could always experiment.

That said, most of the DDEs I have worked with have come out integrating a PDE w.r.t. its 'non-time' variable (e.g. Gurney WSC, Nisbet RM, Lawton, JH. 1983. The systematic formulation of tractable single-species population models incorporating age structure. Journal of Animal Ecology 52: 479-495.) and so the history of the delayed variable comes out naturally. Maybe just putting t-tau for t in the right-hand side of an ODE is not a good way of getting a DDE without extra thought.

The dde23 solve in Matlab should also work with this problem. There is also Simon Wood's solv95 programme (http://www.maths.bath.ac.uk/~sw283/simon/dde.html ).

Ashley

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Hindmarsh rose model with delay (dde)

1. What is the Hindmarsh Rose model with delay?

The Hindmarsh Rose model with delay (DDE) is a mathematical model used to study the dynamics of neuronal activity. It is an extension of the Hindmarsh Rose model, which describes the behavior of a single neuron. The addition of delay in this model allows for the study of time-dependent interactions between neurons.

2. How does the Hindmarsh Rose model with delay work?

The Hindmarsh Rose model with delay is based on a set of differential equations that describe the behavior of a neuron. These equations take into account the dynamics of the neuron's membrane potential, ion channels, and synaptic connections. The delay term in the equations represents the time it takes for signals to travel between neurons, allowing for the study of synchronized activity.

3. What is the significance of the Hindmarsh Rose model with delay in neuroscience?

The Hindmarsh Rose model with delay has been used to study a wide range of phenomena in neuroscience, such as neuronal synchronization, bursting activity, and epileptic seizures. It has also been used to understand the effects of drugs and diseases on neural activity. Overall, this model provides valuable insights into the complex dynamics of neuronal networks.

4. How is the Hindmarsh Rose model with delay solved?

The Hindmarsh Rose model with delay is typically solved using numerical methods, such as the Euler method or Runge-Kutta method. These methods involve breaking down the equations into smaller steps and using iterative calculations to approximate the solution. The accuracy of the solution depends on the step size and the chosen numerical method.

5. What are the limitations of the Hindmarsh Rose model with delay?

Like any mathematical model, the Hindmarsh Rose model with delay has its limitations. It is a simplified representation of real neural networks and does not capture all the complexities of the brain. Additionally, the model relies on certain assumptions and parameters, which may not accurately reflect the behavior of actual neurons. Therefore, it is important to interpret the results of this model with caution and consider other factors in understanding neural dynamics.