Another field lines of 3D vector functions question

In summary, it appears that you are trying to find the field lines of the 3D vector function F(x, y, z) = yi − xj +k. You began by finding dx/dt =y, dy/dt = -x, and dz/dt = 1. From here, you found dy/dx = -x/y and y^2 + x^2 = c. For dz/dt = 1, you found that z = t + C. I am unsure where to go from here, but you can find the answer to this question by substituting the parametric form of a circle into the equation.
brunette15
I am trying to find the field lines of the 3D vector function F(x, y, z) = yi − xj +k.

I began by finding dx/dt =y, dy/dt = -x, dz/dt = 1.

From here I computed dy/dx = -x/y, and hence y^2 + x^2 = c.

For dz/dt = 1, I found that z = t + C, where C is a constant.

I am unsure where to go from here however, and how to write y^2 + x^2 = c in terms of t. I am guessing as this is a formula for a circle we use sin^2 + cos^2 = 1, however I am unsure how to show this mathematically.

Can anyone please help me complete this question? :)

Physics news on Phys.org
brunette15 said:
I am trying to find the field lines of the 3D vector function F(x, y, z) = yi − xj +k.

I began by finding dx/dt =y, dy/dt = -x, dz/dt = 1.

From here I computed dy/dx = -x/y, and hence y^2 + x^2 = c.

For dz/dt = 1, I found that z = t + C, where C is a constant.

I am unsure where to go from here however, and how to write y^2 + x^2 = c in terms of t. I am guessing as this is a formula for a circle we use sin^2 + cos^2 = 1, however I am unsure how to show this mathematically.

Can anyone please help me complete this question? :)

Hi brunette15! (Smile)

The parametric form of a circle is $(x(t), y(t)) = (r\cos(\omega t-\phi_0), r\sin(\omega t-\phi_0))$.
If we substitute that in $\d x t =y$, $\d y t = -x$, and $y^2 + x^2 = c$, we can find $r, \omega$ and $\phi_0$, and verify that it is indeed a solution.

I like Serena said:
Hi brunette15! (Smile)

The parametric form of a circle is $(x(t), y(t)) = (r\cos(\omega t-\phi_0), r\sin(\omega t-\phi_0))$.
If we substitute that in $\d x t =y$, $\d y t = -x$, and $y^2 + x^2 = c$, we can find $r, \omega$ and $\phi_0$, and verify that it is indeed a solution.

I see! Thankyou! :D

Related to Another field lines of 3D vector functions question

1. What are field lines in 3D vector functions?

Field lines in 3D vector functions represent the direction and strength of the vector field at any point in space. They are visual representations of the field and are used to understand the behavior of the vector field.

2. How are field lines in 3D vector functions calculated?

Field lines in 3D vector functions are calculated by solving the differential equations that describe the vector field. This involves finding the direction and magnitude of the vector at each point in space and connecting them to create a continuous line.

3. What is the significance of field lines in 3D vector functions?

Field lines in 3D vector functions are significant because they provide a visual representation of the vector field, which can help to understand the behavior of the field and make predictions about its effects.

4. Can field lines in 3D vector functions intersect?

No, field lines in 3D vector functions cannot intersect. This is because at any given point in space, there is only one direction and magnitude of the vector, and the field lines follow this direction. If field lines were to intersect, it would indicate multiple directions and magnitudes at the same point, which is not possible.

5. How do changes in the vector field affect the field lines in 3D vector functions?

Changes in the vector field, such as changes in direction or magnitude, will result in changes to the field lines in 3D vector functions. These changes can be seen in the shape, density, and direction of the field lines, providing insight into the behavior of the field.