Hilbert Transform Homework: Show Envelope is |m(t)|

In summary: This means that the imaginary part of the analytic signal is the Hilbert transform of ##h(t)##, which is ##\hat{h}(t) = m(t)\sin(2\pi\nu_c t)##. The envelope of ##h(t)## is then given by ##|m(t)|##. In summary, for a real, band-limited function ##m(t)## and ##\nu_v > \nu_m,## the Hilbert transform of ##h(t) = m(t)\cos(2\pi\nu_c t)## is ##\hat{h}(t) = m(t)\sin(2\pi\nu_c t)##, and the envelope of ##h(t
roam

Homework Statement

For a real, band-limited function ##m(t)## and ##\nu_v > \nu_m,## show that the Hilbert transform of

$$h(t) = m(t) cos(2\pi \nu_c t)$$

is

$$\hat{h}(t) = m(t) sin(2 \pi \nu_c t),$$

and therefore the envelope of ##h(t)## is ##|m(t)|.##

Homework Equations

Analytic signal for a a real function ##f(t)## with Fourier transform ##F(\nu)## is given by

##f_a (t) = 2 \int^\infty_0 F(\nu) \exp(j 2 \pi \nu t).##

Modulation property of the Fourier transform

##f(t) \cos(2\pi \nu_0 t) \iff \frac{1}{2} \left( F(\nu + \nu_0) + F(\nu - \nu_0) \right)##

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem asks to compute the analytic signal from the Fourier transform of ##h(t)##, so I think I need to use the equation above for finding the analytic signal:

$$h_a (t) = 2 \int^\infty_0 \Big[ H(\nu) \Big] e^{-j 2 \pi \nu t} \ d\nu = 2 \int^\infty_0 \Big[ \int^\infty_{-\infty} m(t) \cos(2 \pi \nu_c t) e^{-j2 \pi \nu t} dt \Big] e^{-j 2 \pi \nu t} \ d\nu \ (i)$$

Furthermore, we are told that ##m(t)## is band-limited, which means ##M(\nu) = 0## for ##|\nu| > \nu_m.## So perhaps we can use the above property to write (i) as

$$h_a (t) = 2 \int^\infty_0 \Big[\frac{1}{2} \left( M(\nu + \nu_c) + M(\nu - \nu_c) \right) \Big] e^{-j 2 \pi \nu t} \ d\nu$$

Is this correct so far?

If this is correct, how do I simplify this further to find the imaginary part \hat{h}(t) (Hilbert transform)? Do I simply need to write the exponential as sine and cosine? :confused:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you!Yes, you are on the right track. To simplify further, you can use the fact that the Fourier transform is symmetric, i.e. ##M(-\nu) = M(\nu)##. This means that the second term in the brackets will cancel out with the first term, leaving you with just ##M(\nu + \nu_c)## in the integral. Then, you can use the modulation property of the Fourier transform to write this as ##\frac{1}{2}M(\nu)##, giving you the final result of ##h_a(t) = m(t)\sin(2\pi\nu_c t)##.

Related to Hilbert Transform Homework: Show Envelope is |m(t)|

1. What is the Hilbert Transform?

The Hilbert Transform is a mathematical operation that takes a complex-valued function as input and produces another complex-valued function as output. It is used to analyze the frequency content of a signal and is commonly used in signal processing and communication systems.

2. What is the purpose of the Hilbert Transform?

The purpose of the Hilbert Transform is to provide a representation of a signal that separates its amplitude and phase components. This can be useful in analyzing the frequency content of a signal and in applications such as signal filtering and demodulation.

3. What is the envelope of a signal?

The envelope of a signal is a curve that represents the upper or lower bounds of the amplitude variations of the signal. It is often used to visualize the slowly varying amplitude of a high-frequency signal.

4. How is the envelope calculated using the Hilbert Transform?

The envelope of a signal can be calculated from its Hilbert Transform by taking the absolute value of the transformed signal. This results in a real-valued signal that represents the envelope of the original signal.

5. Can you show an example of using the Hilbert Transform to calculate the envelope of a signal?

Yes, for example, if we have a signal m(t) = cos(2πft), we can calculate its Hilbert Transform as H(m(t)) = sin(2πft). Taking the absolute value of this transformed signal, we get the envelope of m(t) as |m(t)| = |cos(2πft)| = 1. This means that the envelope of m(t) remains constant at 1, while the amplitude of the original signal varies sinusoidally with frequency f.