Highest state of SU(2) algebra

In summary, the generators of the SU(2) algebra are ##\tau_{1}##, ##\tau_{2}##, and ##\tau_{3}##. The ladder operators ##\tau_{\pm}=\tau_{1}\pm i\tau_{2}## can raise/lower the eigenvalue of ##|m\rangle## by 1. ##\tau_{-}## can annihilate the state ##|1\rangle##. ##\tau_{+}## also annihilates some state.
spaghetti3451
Let the generators of the SU(2) algebra be ##\tau_{1}##, ##\tau_{2}## and ##\tau_{3}##.

Consider an ##N## dimensional representation, which means that the ##\tau_{i}## are ##N \times N## matrices which act on some ##N##-dimensional vector space.

Consider the ladder operators ##\tau_{\pm}=\tau_{1}\pm i\tau_{2}##. Let's work in a basis where ##\tau_{3}## is diagonal, and let ##|m\rangle## denote a unit normalized eigenstate of ##\tau_{3}## with eigenvalue ##m##.

Now, I can show that ##\tau_{\pm}## can raise/lower the eigenvalue of ##|m\rangle## by 1, since ##\tau_{3}(\tau_{\pm}|m\rangle)=(m\pm 1)(\tau_{\pm}|m\rangle)##.

I can also show that ##\tau_{-}## can annihilate the state ##|1\rangle##, since ##\tau_{3}(\tau_{-}|1\rangle)=(1-1)(\tau_{-}|1\rangle)=0##

How do I show that ##\tau_{+}## also annihilates some state?

Physics news on Phys.org
This sounds a bit handwavy, but you have a finite-dimensional vector space - so the number of eigenstates of ##\tau_{3}## is finite. So it is not possible to keep applying ##\tau_{+}## to raise the state indefinitely; it must terminate at some maximum ##|m\rangle##.

How about the following:

Consider the highest state ##|j\rangle## labelled by its eigenvalue ##j##. Then, ##\tau_{3}(\tau_{+}|j\rangle)=(j+1)(\tau_{+}|j\rangle)##.

But ##|j\rangle## is the highest state, and ##(j+1) \neq 0##. Therefore, ##\tau_{+}|j\rangle = 0##.

Is this sound?

Likes fresh_42
Sounds good to me (that's how I would do it too if I had to write it down mathematically)

How do I argue that there must be exactly one state annihilated by ##\tau_{+}## and that this is a ##\tau_{3}## eigenstate?

I have already shown that ##\tau_{+}## annihilates some highest state ##|j\rangle##. All I can do now is to argue that ##\tau_{+}## does not annihilate the lowest state - ##\tau_{+}## cannot annihilate the lowest state, because it can only raise a state, not lower it.

What are your thoughts?

Well, if the set of ##\tau_3## eigenstates forms a complete basis of your vector space (as it should), then any state can be represented in terms of these ##\tau_3## eigenstates, and we know that ##\tau_+## only annihilates ##|j\rangle## (among the set of ##\{|m\rangle\}##), so if ##\tau_{+} |\psi\rangle = \sum c_{n} \tau_{+} |n\rangle## vanishes, it must be that all the ##c_n##s vanish for ##n \neq j##.

failexam said:
How do I show that ##\tau_{+}## also annihilates some state?

I think that a way to get both an upper and lower bound on [itex]\tau_3[/itex] is by realizing that [itex]\tau_1, \tau_3, \tau_3[/itex] commute with [itex]S^2 \equiv (\tau_1)^2 + (\tau_2)^2 + (\tau_3)^2[/itex]. So we can find states that are simultaneously eigenstates of [itex]S^2[/itex] and [itex]\tau_3[/itex]. So let's restrict attention to eigenstates of [itex]S^2[/itex] with eigenvalue [itex]\lambda[/itex]. Then we can write:

[itex]\tau_+ \tau_- = (\tau_1 + i \tau_2)(\tau_1 - i \tau_2) = [/itex] (using commutation relations and definitions) [itex]S^2 - \tau_3(\tau_3 - 1)[/itex]

If we let [itex]|m\rangle[/itex] be a state where [itex]\tau_3 |m\rangle = m |m \rangle[/itex], then we know that [itex]\tau_- |m\rangle[/itex] returns a state that is proportional to [itex]|m-1\rangle[/itex]. Let [itex]\alpha_m[/itex] be the constant of proportionality:

[itex]\tau_- |m\rangle = \alpha_m |m-1\rangle[/itex]

We can show that [itex]\tau_+ |m-1\rangle = \alpha_m |m\rangle[/itex]. So putting the two together, we have:

[itex]\tau_+ \tau_- |m \rangle = (\alpha_m)^2 |m\rangle[/itex]

But we also know that [itex]\tau_+ \tau_- = S^2 - \tau_3(\tau_3 - 1)[/itex]. So we have:

[itex](S^2 - \tau_3(\tau_3 -1)) |m\rangle = (\alpha_m)^2 |m\rangle[/itex]

Since we assumed we're dealing with eigenstates of [itex]S^2[/itex] with eigenvalue [itex]\lambda[/itex], and by definition, [itex]\tau_3 |m\rangle = m |m \rangle[/itex], we have:

[itex](\lambda - m(m-1)) |m\rangle = (\alpha_m)^2 |m\rangle[/itex]

So [itex]\alpha_m = \sqrt{\lambda - m(m-1)}[/itex]

So we have:
[itex]\tau_- |m\rangle = \sqrt{\lambda - m(m-1)} |m-1\rangle[/itex]

[itex]\tau_+ |m-1\rangle = \sqrt{\lambda - m(m-1)}|m\rangle \Rightarrow \tau_+ |m\rangle = \sqrt{\lambda - m(m+1)}|m+1\rangle[/itex]

If we require that [itex]\alpha_m[/itex] is real (and why is that?), then it must be that [itex]\lambda \geq m(m-1)[/itex]. If [itex]m[/itex] keeps getting larger, than eventually that constraint will be violated. If [itex]m[/itex] keeps getting smaller, than eventually that constraint will be violated. So if you keep acting with [itex]\tau_-[/itex], eventually you get to zero: For the smallest possible value of [itex]m[/itex], it must be that:

[itex]\tau_- |m_{min}\rangle = 0 = \sqrt{\lambda - m_{min} (m_{min}-1)} |m_{min}-1\rangle[/itex]

So [itex]\lambda = m_{min}(m_{min}-1)[/itex]

Similarly, if you keep acting with [itex]\tau_+[/itex], you will eventually violate the constraint. So there must also be an [itex]m_{max}[/itex] such that

[itex]\tau_+ |m_{max}\rangle = 0 = \sqrt{\lambda - m_{max}(m_{max} + 1)} |m_{max} + 1\rangle[/itex]

So [itex]\lambda = m_{max}(m_{max} + 1)[/itex]

So if we define [itex]m_{max} = j[/itex], and [itex]m_{min} = -j[/itex], then we have:

[itex]\lambda = j(j+1)[/itex]
[itex]\tau_+ |j\rangle = 0[/itex]
[itex]\tau_- |-j\rangle = 0[/itex]

Likes spaghetti3451

Related to Highest state of SU(2) algebra

1. What is the highest state of SU(2) algebra?

The highest state of SU(2) algebra refers to the state with the highest value of spin in a system described by SU(2) algebra. It is often denoted as |j, j⟩, where j is the maximum spin value.

2. How is the highest state of SU(2) algebra determined?

The highest state of SU(2) algebra is determined by the representation theory of SU(2) algebra. This theory helps to classify states with different spin values and determine the highest state with the maximum spin value.

3. What are the properties of the highest state of SU(2) algebra?

The highest state of SU(2) algebra is a special state with the maximum spin value and is invariant under rotations. It also has the highest energy and is often referred to as the ground state of the system.

4. How does the highest state of SU(2) algebra relate to angular momentum?

The highest state of SU(2) algebra is closely related to angular momentum as it represents the state with the maximum amount of angular momentum in the system. It is used to describe the rotational motion of particles in quantum mechanics.

5. Can the highest state of SU(2) algebra be entangled?

Yes, the highest state of SU(2) algebra can be entangled with other states in a system. This means that the state is not a product of individual states, but rather a combination of multiple states that are connected through quantum entanglement.