Higher Prequantum Geometry IV: The Covariant Phase Space - Transgressively - Comments

In summary, Urs Schreiber submitted a new PF Insights post titled "Higher Prequantum Geometry IV: The Covariant Phase Space - Transgressively." In the conversation, the participants discuss the level of difficulty and the branches of mathematics needed to understand the post. They also mention some typos and possible generalizations of the concepts discussed. They reference other resources for further reading and discuss the potential impact of this work on the research community.
Urs Schreiber
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Urs Schreiber submitted a new PF Insights post

Higher Prequantum Geometry IV: The Covariant Phase Space - Transgressively

prequantumgeometry4-80x80.png

Continue reading the Original PF Insights Post.

Likes dextercioby, atyy and Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know whether this is a proper question to ask here or not, but I can't resist any more.
This whole series is way above my head but I somehow understand its importance and beauty, so I'm eager to learn it, actually adding it to my list of to-learn things!
So what branches of Mathematics do I need to learn?
I think they are algebraic topology and algebraic geometry (and category theory?), are they?
Thanks

Likes atyy and Greg Bernhardt
There are some (three?) occasions where the Latex didn't compile.

And some typos: bunle; invariace; codimenion; depening

This post will need some re-reading on my part. I wonder how much these constructions are arising through abstract general considerations. E.g. where one to want such a thing, would they go through in the complex analytic realm? And how much (presumably less) in the realm of arithmetic jet spaces?

Shyan said:
I don't know whether this is a proper question to ask here or not, but I can't resist any more.
This whole series is way above my head but I somehow understand its importance and beauty, so I'm eager to learn it, actually adding it to my list of to-learn things!
So what branches of Mathematics do I need to learn?
I think they are algebraic topology and algebraic geometry (and category theory?), are they?
Thanks
This is the highest level tutorial ever posted on PF. High level differential geometry, diff. and algebraic topology. To reach this level of maths knowledge, you need to start early. Did you read Arnold's mechanics text ?

Likes ShayanJ
dextercioby said:
This is the highest level tutorial ever posted on PF. High level differential geometry, diff. and algebraic topology. To reach this level of maths knowledge, you need to start early. Did you read Arnold's mechanics text ?
I know Arnold's text, but the book I plan to read about more theoretical aspects of classical mechanics is "Mechanics: From Newton's Laws to Deterministic Chaos" by Florian Scheck. Is it more or less equivalent to Arnold's?

David Corfield said:
There are some (three?) occasions where the Latex didn't compile. And some typos: ...

Thanks! Fixed now.

David Corfield said:
I wonder how much these constructions are arising through abstract general considerations.

Everything! For the present series I am downplaying the general abstract perspective, clearly, but everything I am saying here flows naturally out of differentially cohesive homotopy theory. The key point is that the variational bicomplex is locally equivalent to the de Rham complex. This means that as we start with ordinary differential cohomology in the base differentially cohesive infinity-topos and then send that to the topos of PDEs, there a "finer Poincare lemma" appears which allows to resolve the constant real coefficients by a chain complex adapted to the horizontal stratification. This way the variational Euler-differential appears all by itself as the curvature of those "Euler-Lagrange p-gerbes". Anyway, I should talk about this in more detail later.

David Corfield said:
And how much (presumably less) in the realm of arithmetic jet spaces?

One has to beware that the arithmetic jet spaces of Buium do not capture the general concept of jets. I think the right way to put it is that for ##X## an arithmetic scheme, then Buium's arithmetic jet space is to be thought of as the jets of the bundle ## X \times \mathrm{Spec}(\mathbb{Z}) \to \mathrm{Spec}(\mathbb{Z}) ##. More generally one need jet bundles of more general arithmetic bundles.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Shyan said:
So what branches of Mathematics do I need to learn? I think they are algebraic topology and algebraic geometry (and category theory?), are they?
Thanks

I am rather freely speaking category theory here, that's true. But for the moment all the series is really referring to is the concept of presheaf and the Yoneda lemma. Under the hood the Beck monadicity theorem is playing a key role, but just to follow the story you don't need that.

And then of algebraic topology the series presently needs mainly the concept of sheaf hypercohomology in its presentation by Cech cohomology. I have been writing lecture notes that gradually introduce precisely the material that I am using here at
These notes consist of a list of sub-pages that have detailed exposition and introduction to the various subjects needed, complete with further pointers to the literature.

Essentially this same lecture series is also available in pdf format, as section 1.2 of
  • https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12630719/dcct.pdf
(just focus on section 1).

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Jimster41, Ravi Mohan and ShayanJ
Thanks. I see Anderson has a G-equivariant version for some group of symmetries of E, which delivers a G-invariant Euler-Lagrange complex.

He paints a picture of an ambitious research program. Would it be fair to say this work hasn't been exploited by the community as much as it might have been?

David Corfield said:
Would it be fair to say this work hasn't been exploited by the community as much as it might have been?

A point that Igor Khavkine has been making for a while (for instance in this talk) is that the full power of available mathematical machinery for handling local field theories has rarely been fully applied, notably so in the case of effective gravity.

A striking example is the construction of local and gauge-invariant observables in gravity. Folk-lore held that these simply do not exist, a claim that leads to a wealth of apparent problems that are often claimed to necessitate speculative modifications of established physical principles. But a careful mathematical analysis shows that these observables do indeed exist, not as global functions, but as a sheaf of functions on phase space:

• Igor Khavkine, Local and gauge invariant observables in gravity, Class. Quantum Grav. 32 185019, 2015 (arXiv:1503.03754, CQG+, http://www.science.unitn.it/~moretti/convegno/khavkine.pdf for talk at http://www.science.unitn.it/~moretti/convegno/convegno.html Levico Terme, Italy, September 2014)

Shyan said:
I know Arnold's text, but the book I plan to read about more theoretical aspects of classical mechanics is "Mechanics: From Newton's Laws to Deterministic Chaos" by Florian Scheck. Is it more or less equivalent to Arnold's?

His ambition is there, to be at the same level, but his presentation is not something I like. He starts at the average level of Marion/Thornton for about 330 pages, then turns the mathematics on what he already wrote about.

[URL='https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/author/urs-schreiber/']Urs Schreiber[/URL] said:
David Corfield said:
There are some (three?) occasions where the Latex didn't compile. And some typos: ...

Thanks! Fixed now.

David Corfield said:
I wonder how much these constructions are arising through abstract general considerations.

Everything! For the present series I am downplaying the general abstract perspective, clearly, but everything I am saying here flows naturally out of differentially cohesive homotopy theory. The key point is that the variational bicomplex is locally equivalent to the de Rham complex. This means that as we start with ordinary differential cohomology in the base differentially cohesive infinity-topos and then send that to the topos of PDEs, there a "finer Poincare lemma" appears which allows to resolve the constant real coefficients by a chain complex adapted to the horizontal stratification. This way the variational Euler-differential appears all by itself as the curvature of those "Euler-Lagrange p-gerbes". Anyway, I should talk about this in more detail later.

David Corfield said:
And how much (presumably less) in the realm of arithmetic jet spaces?

One has to beware that the arithmetic jet spaces of Buium do not capture the general concept of jets. I think the right way to put it is that for ##X## an arithmetic scheme, then Buium's arithmetic jet space is to be thought of as the jets of the bundle ## X times mathrm{Spec}(mathbb{Z}) to mathrm{Spec}(mathbb{Z}) ##. More generally one need jet bundles of more general arithmetic bundles.
"More generally one need jet bundles of more general arithmetic bundles."

Is he as limited as this? In 'Differential calculus with integers' (http://arxiv.org/abs/1308.5194) he's talking about taking jet spaces of spec(W(R)) (p-typical Witt vectors of R) in section 1.2.12.

And problem 3.1 states:
"Study the arithmetic jet spaces Jn(X) of curves X (and more general varieties) with bad reduction."

Many of the constructions appearing in these posts appear there, e.g., variational complex, Euler-Lagrange total differential form and Noether's theorem appear in 1.2.9. But maybe just as exposition.

It seems it's his 'Arithmetic Differential Equations' where one sees his "arithmetic" Euler-Lagrange operators and Noether's theorem (p. 98 of https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=aqwYKFjW5nwC). It's not so easy to find out the breadth of jet spaces treated there.

[URL='https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/author/urs-schreiber/']Urs Schreiber[/URL] said:
A point that Igor Khavkine has been making for a while (for instance in this talk) is that the full power of available mathematical machinery for handling local field theories has rarely been fully applied, notably so in the case of effective gravity.

A striking example is the construction of local and gauge-invariant observables in gravity. Folk-lore held that these simply do not exist, a claim that leads to a wealth of apparent problems that are often claimed to necessitate speculative modifications of established physical principles. But a careful mathematical analysis shows that these observables do indeed exist, not as global functions, but as a sheaf of functions on phase space:

• Igor Khavkine, Local and gauge invariant observables in gravity, Class. Quantum Grav. 32 185019, 2015 (arXiv:1503.03754, CQG+, http://www.science.unitn.it/~moretti/convegno/khavkine.pdf for talk at http://www.science.unitn.it/~moretti/convegno/convegno.html Levico Terme, Italy, September 2014)

By "as a sheaf of functions on phase space" does that mean an observable would be spread out in space-time?
If so does that mean distributed discretely, where some parts of the phase space don't support those functions?I found another paper that seems to be saying something like what Khavkine is saying.

http://arxiv.org/pdf/hep-th/0512200v4.pdf
Observables in effective gravity
Steven B. Giddings, Donald Marolf, James B. Hartle
(Submitted on 16 Dec 2005 (v1), last revised 8 Sep 2006 (this version, v4))
We address the construction and interpretation of diffeomorphism-invariant observables in a low-energy effective theory of quantum gravity. The observables we consider are constructed as integrals over the space of coordinates, in analogy to the construction of gauge-invariant observables in Yang-Mills theory via traces. As such, they are explicitly non-local. Nevertheless we describe how, in suitable quantum states and in a suitable limit, the familiar physics of local quantum field theory can be recovered from appropriate such observables, which we term `pseudo-local.' We consider measurement of pseudo-local observables, and describe how such measurements are limited by both quantum effects and gravitational interactions. These limitations support suggestions that theories of quantum gravity associated with finite regions of spacetime contain far fewer degrees of freedom than do local field theories.

Jimster41 said:
By "as a sheaf of functions on phase space" does that mean an observable would be spread out in space-time?

No, that means that on sufficiently small neighbourhoods of field configurations there is a good supply of spacetime local and gauge invariant observables that are functions just of those field configurations in that small neighbourhood. For larger neighbourhoods no such observables will exist anymore, but the small neighbourhoods for which they do exist cover all of the (phase) space of fields.

Likes Jimster41

Related to Higher Prequantum Geometry IV: The Covariant Phase Space - Transgressively - Comments

1. What is Higher Prequantum Geometry IV?

Higher Prequantum Geometry IV is a mathematical framework used to describe the behavior of particles in quantum mechanics. It is a higher-dimensional extension of prequantum geometry, which is a mathematical theory that attempts to unify classical and quantum mechanics.

2. What is the role of the Covariant Phase Space in Higher Prequantum Geometry IV?

The Covariant Phase Space is an important concept in Higher Prequantum Geometry IV. It is a mathematical space that describes the possible states of a physical system and how they evolve over time. In Higher Prequantum Geometry IV, it is used to describe the behavior of particles in a higher-dimensional space.

3. How does Higher Prequantum Geometry IV differ from previous theories?

Higher Prequantum Geometry IV is a more advanced version of prequantum geometry. It differs from previous theories by incorporating higher-dimensional spaces and more complex mathematical structures to better describe the behavior of particles in quantum mechanics.

4. What is meant by "Transgressively" in Higher Prequantum Geometry IV?

In Higher Prequantum Geometry IV, "transgressively" refers to the idea of transgressing or going beyond traditional mathematical boundaries. It involves using unconventional mathematical techniques to describe the behavior of particles in higher-dimensional spaces.

5. What are some potential applications of Higher Prequantum Geometry IV?

Higher Prequantum Geometry IV has the potential to be applied in various fields such as quantum computing, particle physics, and cosmology. It could also lead to a better understanding of the fundamental laws of nature and help to bridge the gap between classical and quantum mechanics.