Mathematical Quantum Field Theory - Phase Space - Comments

In summary, the conversation discusses the mix up in the order of introductory paragraphs in a PF Insights post about mathematical quantum field theory and phase space. It also mentions the use of the Peierls bracket in the "global approach to QFT" and the best source for this concept. The importance of providing clear and inviting introductions for each section is emphasized. There are also some minor issues pointed out and resolved.
Urs Schreiber
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Greg Bernhardt submitted a new PF Insights post

Mathematical Quantum Field Theory - Phase Space
qtf_phasespace.png

Continue reading the Original PF Insights Post.

Attachments

• qtf_phasespace.png
    qtf_phasespace.png
    9.1 KB · Views: 1,019
Likes dextercioby and Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
There was a mix up in the order of the introductory paragraphs. Should be fixed now.

I should maybe point that the Peierls bracket derived in chapter 8. Phase space (theorem 8.7), which is the covariant Poisson bracket on the covariant phase space, is the basis of what is called the "global approach to QFT" in the traditional-style textbook:

Likes dextercioby
[URL='https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/author/urs-schreiber/']Urs Schreiber[/URL] said:
I should maybe point that the Peierls bracket derived in chapter 8. Phase space (theorem 8.7), which is the covariant Poisson bracket on the covariant phase space, is the basis of what is called the "global approach to QFT" in the traditional-style textbook:
Yes, maybe in an introductory section. It would be good if each of the articles in the sequence would begin with an initial section summarizing what is to follow, what it means in terms of buzzwords (to be explained later), and giving basic sources for further reading.

A. Neumaier said:
It would be good if each of the articles in the sequence would begin with an initial section summarizing what is to follow,

That seems to be just what I have been doing. Is it not working?

Regarding sources: I have citations in the text. I wish there would be a general source I could cite, but maybe it doesn't exist. In the case at hand, while DeWitt's books advertizes the Peierls bracket, I hesitate to recommend using it. The source which I do cite extensively, which is Khavkine 14, seems the best source for the result, and I tried to provide all the required context and lead-in to highlight its conceptual role.

Likes dextercioby
[URL='https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/author/urs-schreiber/']Urs Schreiber[/URL] said:
That seems to be just what I have been doing. Is it not working?
Indeed, for the whole articles, you have it - but in too overwhelming detail. I'd prefer if the chapter introductions are more elementary and less detailed, and if the overview over the details are delegated to the top of each section. (I wrote the comment since the section ''Covariant phase space'' started without introduction, and I had mistakenly taken it for the start of the whole chapter.) And if possible the same again on a subsection level.

In the present chapter ''Phase space'', the chapter summary might start with

In this section we discuss these topics:
  • Covariant phase space
  • BV-Resolution of the covariant phase space
  • Hamiltonian local observables
and then relate in the most elementary way why these items are relevant and what purpose they have in the grand scheme of things. Then each section should have its own, a (only slightly) more technical introduction, perhaps at the level of the present global introduction, ideally even more softened. All introductions should be written in the most inviting way, drawing attention to possible prior knowledge on the side of the reader but not demanding more than absolutely necessary to get the picture. In this way even those who cannot digest the details (or at least not in one go) will benefit from browsing the articles in a more lightly way, and multiple readings allow one to go deeper in each iteration.

In the case at hand, while DeWitt's books advertizes the Peierls bracket, I hesitate to recommend using it. The source which I do cite extensively, which is Khavkine 14, seems the best source for the result, and I tried to provide all the required context and lead-in to highlight its conceptual role.
Putting this somewhere at the top of the section ''Covariant phase space'' would be a way of satisfying both you and me.

- ''discuss of Gauge fixing'' should be discussion
- "In def. 7.30 we regard" has a spurious line break
-"\gt maybe better consider formal power series" - unresolved html symbol

Likes Urs Schreiber
A. Neumaier said:
- ''discuss of Gauge fixing'' should be discussion
- "In def. 7.30 we regard" has a spurious line break
-"\gt maybe better consider formal power series" - unresolved html symbol

Thanks! Fixed now.

Related to Mathematical Quantum Field Theory - Phase Space - Comments

1. What is mathematical quantum field theory?

Mathematical quantum field theory is a branch of theoretical physics that uses mathematical models to describe the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions. It combines elements of quantum mechanics and classical field theory to provide a framework for understanding the fundamental forces of nature.

2. What is phase space in quantum field theory?

In quantum field theory, phase space refers to the space of all possible states of a system at a given time. It is a mathematical construct that allows us to describe the positions and momenta of particles in a quantum system. It is an important concept in understanding the dynamics of particles and their interactions.

3. What are the main applications of phase space in quantum field theory?

Phase space is widely used in quantum field theory to calculate scattering amplitudes, study particle interactions, and understand the behavior of quantum systems. It also plays a crucial role in the development of quantum computing and quantum information theory.

4. What are some challenges in studying phase space in quantum field theory?

One of the main challenges in studying phase space in quantum field theory is dealing with the infinite number of degrees of freedom that arise in the calculations. This requires advanced mathematical techniques such as renormalization and regularization to handle divergent integrals and ensure meaningful results.

5. What are some ongoing developments in phase space in quantum field theory?

Recent developments in phase space methods in quantum field theory include the use of geometric and topological methods to study the structure of phase space, and the application of machine learning techniques to improve calculations and simulations. There is also ongoing research in using phase space to better understand the behavior of black holes and the nature of spacetime.