Higher power constant coefficiants ODEs

In summary, the Rational Roots Theorem could not be used to solve for the roots, so a more accurate solution would need to be found using Mathematica or another software.
ognik
Hi, I have the ODE y'''' - 3y' + 2y = 0

The characteristic equation is then $r^4 - 3r + 2 = 0$

So my 1st question, is there some easier way of finding the roots than long division?

I looked at the first and last terms to guess the roots (if real) might come from (r-1) , (r+1), (r+2), (r-2)

(r-1) divides into the CE with remainder $ r^3+r^2+r-2 $ but none of my other guessed terms divide into this exactly, so I am thinking the other roots must be complex ... so how would I go about finding the rest of the roots please?

[I did try multiplying out (r-1)(r+a)(r+b)(r+c) and comparing coefficients, but the eqtns I got were not independent so couldn't solve for a,b,c]

Physics news on Phys.org
There's always synthetic division. Also, I'm not sure you're using the Rational Roots Theorem properly. [EDIT] You were. See below for correction. Your rational root candidates would be factors of $1$ divided by factors of $2$. So you should test $\pm 1, \pm \dfrac12$. If you look at the coefficients, they sum to zero, indicating that $r=1$ is a root, or $r-1$ is a factor. Using synthetic division yields the factored form
$$(r-1)\left(r^3+r^2+r-2\right)=0.$$
I'm not sure you'll find any more rational roots. There's one more positive root (by Descarte's Rule of Signs). Replacing $r$ with $-r$ in the cubic yields $-r^3+r^2-r-2=0$, with two sign changes. So you either have two negative real roots, or no negative real roots (the latter would imply you have two complex conjugate roots). At this point, I'd probably go with Mathematica to get an exact answer, or you can simply go numerical if the exact answer is not critical.

Ackbach said:
...Also, I'm not sure you're using the Rational Roots Theorem properly...

He did it correctly...you want the integer factors of the trailing term in the numerator and the integer factors of the leading term in the denominator. :)

Related to Higher power constant coefficiants ODEs

1. What is a higher power constant coefficient ODE?

A higher power constant coefficient ODE is a type of ordinary differential equation (ODE) that includes terms with powers greater than one and coefficients that do not vary with the independent variable. These equations can be solved using various methods, such as the method of undetermined coefficients or Laplace transforms.

2. How do you determine the order of a higher power constant coefficient ODE?

The order of a higher power constant coefficient ODE is determined by the highest power of the derivative present in the equation. For example, if the equation has a third derivative, it is a third-order ODE.

3. Can higher power constant coefficient ODEs have non-constant coefficients?

Yes, higher power constant coefficient ODEs can have non-constant coefficients. However, the coefficients must not vary with the independent variable, meaning they can be constants or functions of other variables.

4. What are the applications of higher power constant coefficient ODEs?

Higher power constant coefficient ODEs have numerous applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. They can be used to model various physical phenomena, such as electrical circuits, mechanical systems, and chemical reactions. They also have applications in signal processing, control systems, and population dynamics.

5. What are some techniques for solving higher power constant coefficient ODEs?

There are several techniques for solving higher power constant coefficient ODEs, including the method of undetermined coefficients, Laplace transforms, and power series solutions. Each method has its advantages and limitations, and the choice of technique depends on the specific equation and its initial/boundary conditions.