Higher Potential with reference point

In summary: Can you label the current through R2 and write KVL around loop home base >>vb>>I2R2>>Vs >>home base ?I don't like his lack of rigor. He should have labeled his currents I1 and I2. Speaking aloud the names he chose makes you think it's product of I and R which gives voltage. Sloppy, sloppy work that confuses beginners .
ace8888
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Template is shown
Reference point was chosen to be at Va. I'm trying to understand the logic behind it.

1. It is clear that Vc = - Vs because if Vc was the reference point at Va the voltage potential between Va and the reference point Vc is Vs. Therefore, Va = Vs, Va - Vc = Vs if Vc is reference. However, when Vc is the reference point, don't we have Vc -Va = -Vs? Va is reference so 0 volts which mean Vc = -Vs.
  2. At the Ohm law at IR1. If Va is the reference point which mean it is zero voltage. All the nodes are using it as a reference to ground and to my understand the voltage at the node is based on the higher potential - the lower potential. If that's the case, how can the higher potential be the reference point when it was given a value of zero with respect to all other nodes??

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 470
Physics news on Phys.org
ace8888 said:
Reference point was chosen to be at Va. I'm trying to understand the logic behind it.

1. It is clear that Vc = - Vs because if Vc was the reference point at Va the voltage potential between Va and the reference point Vc is Vs. Therefore, Va = Vs, Va - Vc = Vs if Vc is reference. However, when Vc is the reference point, don't we have Vc -Va = -Vs? Va is reference so 0 volts which mean Vc = -Vs.
  2. At the Ohm law at IR1. If Va is the reference point which mean it is zero voltage. All the nodes are using it as a reference to ground and to my understand the voltage at the node is based on the higher potential - the lower potential. If that's the case, how can the higher potential be the reference point when it was given a value of zero with respect to all other nodes??
Post in homework. Use the template. What's the problem statement ?

Va - Vc = Vs and Vc -Va = -Vs are exactly the same, identical and equivalent statement(s).

"the voltage at the node is based on" No: the voltage at the node is the potential.

BvU said:
Post in homework. Use the template. What's the problem statement ?

Va - Vc = Vs and Vc -Va = -Vs are exactly the same, identical and equivalent statement(s).

"the voltage at the node is based on" No: the voltage at the node is the potential.
Its not homework but I'm trying to refresh on my circuit analysis so I googled examples. As i was following the steps, I couldn't see the node reference is being the higher potential. I thought reference point is zero volts potential.

That example is an awful thing to do to a beginner.

Simplify your thinking. And use the simple rule for writing KVL equations. When you're just starting out and try to do them in your head you make mistakes.

It matters not a whit which point you choose for reference, Kirchoff will give you the same answer.

Put your pencil down on your reference point. Think of it as home plate.
Now imagine yourself very small and walking around the circuit inside the wires
Write down each voltage you traverse with the first polarity sign you encounter.
When you get back to home plate write " = 0" . That's KVL for the path you chose.

I think what's confusing you is the fact that voltage is a potential DIFFERENCE BETWEEN TWO POINTS .
That's why voltmeters have two wires, the meter reports the difference between them.

Here's how to approach that problem from the very basics.
nodechoice1.jpg

Here's the shortcut he threw at you before you were ready for it.
nodechoice2.jpg

And he's very sloppy about his labeling which i think further confused you. That's the trouble with internet sources.

Can you label the current through R2 and write KVL around loop home base >>vb>>I2R2>>Vs >>home base ?

I don't like his lack of rigor. He should have labeled his currents I1 and I2. Speaking aloud the names he chose makes you think it's product of I and R which gives voltage. Sloppy, sloppy work that confuses beginners .

Good luck in your studies.

old jim

Last edited:
Likes dlgoff
jim hardy said:
Can you label the current through R2 and write KVL around loop home base >>vb>>I2R2>>Vs >>home base ?

vb- vc = I2R2

Good luck in your studies.

thank you very much for your help

old jim

Related to Higher Potential with reference point

What is "higher potential"?

"Higher potential" refers to an individual's ability to reach their maximum capability in terms of skills, knowledge, and achievements.

What is a reference point?

A reference point is a benchmark or standard that is used to compare or measure something else. In the context of "higher potential," it is used as a point of reference to assess an individual's progress and growth.

How does having a reference point impact one's potential?

Having a reference point can help individuals identify their strengths and areas for improvement. It can also serve as a motivation to strive for continuous growth and development.

What factors influence one's higher potential with reference point?

There are various factors that can influence an individual's higher potential, such as their innate abilities, education, experiences, mindset, and environment. Having a clear reference point can also play a crucial role in setting and achieving goals.

How can one reach their higher potential with a reference point?

To reach one's higher potential with a reference point, individuals can set specific and measurable goals, continuously learn and improve, seek feedback, and surround themselves with a supportive and challenging environment.