Analysis of a RLC circuit and a Voltage Controlled Switch

In summary: So, Vout = I* 5e-6/100e-12 = 50 * I volts. You can see this in the simulation too.In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit that involves a voltage controlled switch and a square wave generator with a frequency of 100kHz. The switch is off when the source is on the positive phase and vice versa. The problem also assumes an ideal diode and applies Node-Voltage analysis to determine the node voltages. The analysis shows that when the switch is on, Va is grounded and there is no build up of current. When the switch is off, the current charges both capacitors quickly and the voltage across C1 and Cout reaches a maximum value of VA.
yttuncel
Hello everybody,
I am stuck with a circuit that involves voltage controlled switch.

Homework Statement

3FYukOs.jpg

The switch is controlled with a square wave generator, Vs1, whose frequency is 100kHz. As far as I know, switch is off when source is on positive phase and vice versa. Therefore, I only need to compute Va when Vs1 is on negative phase, i.e. when the switch is on.
(When it is off, Va is grounded and Vout will decay to zero, however switch goes off before Vout decays. Therefore, me and my friend think that we can assume it to be constant.)

We assume diode is ideal. Then apply Node-Voltage analysis to node VA.

The node between inductor and Rin is called VB and iR is the current on Rin.

Homework Equations

ic(t)=C[itex]\frac{dVc(t)}{dt}[/itex] ... (1)
VL(t)=L[itex]\frac{diL(t)}{dt}[/itex] ...(2)

The Attempt at a Solution

When switch is on (when Va is not grounded),

iR=[itex]\frac{3-VB}{10}[/itex]...(3)

With equations (1) and (3), the following is our Node-Voltage equation,

[itex]\frac{3-VB}{10}[/itex]=0.05μ[itex]\frac{dVA}{dt}[/itex]+0.05μ[itex]\frac{dVA}{dt}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{VA}{100K}[/itex]

and from (2) we have,

VB-VA=20μ[itex]\frac{diR}{dt}[/itex]→VB=VA+20μ[itex]\frac{d\frac{3-VB}{10}}{dt}[/itex]

Is this approach correct?
I mean, if I solve this system of DE, will I obtain the correct functions for node voltages when the switch is on?

Any help is appreciated :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Badly defined problem. When the switch is on, Va is clearly zero from the diagram, contradicting your verbiage. There are other parts of your narrative that confuse.

I would approach the problem with determining the 'big picture' first:

Start with everything discharged and the switch ON, grounding Va. Is there a build up of current? Then, when the switch is OFF, where does the current go and what is the effect on voltage across C1 and Cout? Then, as the number of cycles repeat, how does the voltage Vout build up? To what level? What is the effect of the 100K load? Note that the RL-Cout discharge time cosntant is large compared to the cycle time. Note also that the L1/Rin t.c. is very small.

The time constants tend to be greatly removed from each other, facilitating the analysis of this circuit.

Hello,

By saying "on" I meant switch is open.

Is there a build up of current?

No, all the current go directly to ground when switch is closed.

Then, when the switch is OFF, where does the current go and what is the effect on voltage across C1 and Cout?

The current charges up both capacitors very fast due to small time constant(Rin and 0.05μF) to a maximum voltage value of VA.

Then, as the number of cycles repeat, how does the voltage Vout build up?

Vout is the voltage on Cout. The time constant of Cout when discharging is huge compared to the cycle time as you pointed out Therefore, it decays very little when switch is closed and charges up when it is open.

To what level?

I suppose it is limited to the value of VA?

Update: I simulated this circuit using SPICE. What I said is mostly true, the only part I am wrong is the max value of Vout. How does it get higher than our input which is 3V ? The final voltage at Vout seems to be something between 5 and 6 volts.

Last edited:
yttuncel said:
Hello,

Update: I simulated this circuit using SPICE. What I said is mostly true, the only part I am wrong is the max value of Vout. How does it get higher than our input which is 3V ? The final voltage at Vout seems to be something between 5 and 6 volts.

You can look at your SPICE results to answer that question.

What happens is that eventually the diode stops conducting and Cout is cut off from further charging, leaving only C1 to accept the large inductive currents. Since C1 is half of C1 + Cout, the voltage across C1 eventually doubles compared to the initial voltage across C1 and Cout in parallel, since dv/dt = i/C and C changed from the initial 0.1 uF to the eventual 0.05 uF. The diode stops charging Cout only when Vout has reached Vout = i T/C where T = 5e-6 s and C = Cout = C1.

Dear student,

Your approach seems to be correct. By using node voltage analysis and considering the switch to be on and off at different times, you can obtain the correct functions for node voltages when the switch is on. However, it is always important to double check your calculations and equations to ensure accuracy. Additionally, it may also be helpful to simulate the circuit using a software or breadboard to verify your results.

Best of luck with your analysis!

Related to Analysis of a RLC circuit and a Voltage Controlled Switch

1. What is an RLC circuit?

An RLC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R), inductor (L), and capacitor (C). These components are connected in series or parallel and can be used to filter and control the flow of electrical currents.

2. How does an RLC circuit work?

An RLC circuit works by utilizing the properties of the resistor, inductor, and capacitor to regulate the flow of electrical current. The resistor limits the current, the inductor stores energy, and the capacitor releases energy. By adjusting the values of these components, the behavior of the circuit can be controlled.

3. What is a voltage controlled switch?

A voltage controlled switch is an electronic component that can be used to control the flow of electrical current based on the voltage level at a specific point in the circuit. When the voltage reaches a certain threshold, the switch will either open or close, allowing or preventing current flow.

4. How is a voltage controlled switch used in an RLC circuit?

A voltage controlled switch can be used in an RLC circuit to control the behavior of the circuit based on the voltage level. For example, the switch can be used to trigger an alarm when the voltage reaches a certain level, or to turn on a fan when the temperature rises above a specific threshold.

5. What is the purpose of analyzing an RLC circuit with a voltage controlled switch?

The purpose of analyzing an RLC circuit with a voltage controlled switch is to understand and predict the behavior of the circuit under different conditions. This analysis can help in designing and optimizing the circuit for specific applications, as well as troubleshooting and identifying potential issues.