Higher Level Derivative Notation

In summary, the conversation discusses the Leibniz notation for higher derivatives and the confusion it can cause. It is a customary notation that was invented by Leibniz in the 17th century, and it is structured so that the d's increment in the numerator while the x's increment in the denominator. It is suggested that a clearer notation could be D_x(\cdot) for the first approach.
SpaceRocks
Hi,

With respect to derivative notation...

d/dx(y) //1st derivative of y w.r.t x
d/dx (dy/dx) = d^2y/dx^2 //2nd derivative
d/x (d^2y/dx^2) = d^3y/dx^3 //3rd derivative

If you continue finding derivatives in this way, why do the d's increment in the numerator and not in the denominator while the x's increment in the denominator?

I understand the pattern and even intuitively it makes sense to read: d^2y/dx^2 as the second derivative of y w.r.t x, but I don't understand why the notation behaves this way.

*The formatting changed when I posted. The "//" means comment.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Likes SpaceRocks
Hi SpaceRocks, your question is interesting because this choice of notation always create confusion in my mind. There was a period where I belived that ##\frac{d^2}{dx^2}y(x)## was ##\frac{d^2}{(dx)^2}y(x)## but the notation is not clear ... I think that one of the best way to denote the derivative, at list for the first approach, is ##D_{x}(\cdot)##, so the second derivative is ##D_{x}(D_{x}(\cdot))=D_{x}^2(\cdot)## and so on ...

Ssnow

Likes SpaceRocks
It looks like it's just a customary notation and it behaves the way it does because that's how it's structured. From the Wiki article, the Use of Various Forms section makes sense of it for me.

Thanks a lot!

Likes Buzz Bloom

1. What is higher level derivative notation?

Higher level derivative notation is a mathematical notation that represents the derivatives of a function at different orders. It is used to describe the rate of change of a function with respect to its independent variable.

2. How is higher level derivative notation different from regular derivative notation?

Higher level derivative notation differs from regular derivative notation in that it represents derivatives at different orders, while regular derivative notation only represents the first derivative. Higher level derivative notation also uses a different notation, such as f'(x) for the first derivative, f''(x) for the second derivative, and so on.

3. Why is higher level derivative notation useful?

Higher level derivative notation is useful because it allows us to describe the rate of change of a function at different levels of precision. It can also help us understand the behavior of a function and make predictions about its future behavior.

4. How do you find higher level derivatives using notation?

To find higher level derivatives using notation, you can use the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, or chain rule, depending on the complexity of the function. You can also use the notation to write out the derivatives at different orders and simplify the expressions.

5. Can higher level derivative notation be applied to all types of functions?

Yes, higher level derivative notation can be applied to all types of functions, including polynomial, exponential, logarithmic, and trigonometric functions. It can also be applied to composite functions, where the function is composed of multiple simpler functions.