Higher Dimensional Dirac Matricies

In summary, the conversation discusses the construction of a suitable set of \gamma-matrices using the outer product of matrices. The properties of the sigma matrices are mentioned, but no set of \gamma-matrices that satisfies {\gamma\mu, \gamma\nu} = 2g\mu\nu is found. The conversation also mentions the possibility of finding a matrix N that satisfies N^2 = -I if a matrix M that satisfies M^2 = I is given.
y35dp

Homework Statement

If D =7 and the metric g[tex]\mu[/tex][tex]\nu[/tex]=diag(+------), Using the outer product of matrices, A [tex]\otimes[/tex] B construct a suitable set of [tex]\gamma[/tex] matrices from the 2 x 2 [tex]\sigma[/tex]-matrices

Homework Equations

[tex]\sigma[/tex]1=(0, 1 ) [tex]\sigma[/tex]2=(0, -i)
(1, 0) (i, 0)
[tex]\o[/tex]3=(1, 0)
(0, -1)
we need only refer to the basic properties of the sigma matrices

[tex]\sigma[/tex]i[tex]\sigma[/tex]j = i [tex]\epsilon[/tex]ijk[tex]\sigma[/tex]k + [tex]\delta[/tex]ijI2

and

[tex]\sigma[/tex]1T=[tex]\sigma[/tex]1, [tex]\sigma[/tex]2T=[tex]\sigma[/tex]2, [tex]\sigma[/tex]3T=-[tex]\sigma[/tex]3, [tex]\sigma[/tex]1*=[tex]\sigma[/tex]1, [tex]\sigma[/tex]2*=[tex]\sigma[/tex]3*=-[tex]\sigma3[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

As of yet I have found no [tex]\gamma[/tex]-matrices that satisfy {[tex]\gamma[/tex][tex]\mu[/tex], [tex]\gamma[/tex][tex]\nu[/tex]} = 2g[tex]\mu[/tex][tex]\nu[/tex]. The closest I have come is a set which satisfy {[tex]\gamma[/tex][tex]\mu[/tex], [tex]\gamma[/tex][tex]\nu[/tex]} = 2[tex]\delta[/tex][tex]\mu[/tex][tex]\nu[/tex]I7

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry those [tex]\sigma[/tex]1,[tex]\sigma[/tex]2,[tex]\sigma[/tex]3 are supposed to be the Pauli matrices, pretty poor attempt at making matrices on my part

If you have a matrix that satisfies [tex]M^2 = I[/tex], there's always a matrix [tex]N[/tex] that's a scalar multiple of [tex]M[/tex] such that [tex]N^2 = -I[/tex].

Related to Higher Dimensional Dirac Matricies

1. What are Higher Dimensional Dirac Matrices?

Higher Dimensional Dirac Matrices are mathematical objects used in quantum field theory and particle physics to describe the behavior of particles in higher dimensions. They are extensions of the well-known 4-dimensional Dirac matrices, and are typically represented by matrices with dimensions of 2^n x 2^n, where n is the number of extra dimensions.

2. How are Higher Dimensional Dirac Matrices used in physics?

Higher Dimensional Dirac Matrices are used to represent fermions, which are particles with half-integer spin, in higher dimensions. They are also used in theories such as string theory and supersymmetry, which propose extra dimensions beyond the traditional 3 spatial dimensions and 1 time dimension.

3. What is the significance of the gamma matrices in Higher Dimensional Dirac Matrices?

The gamma matrices in Higher Dimensional Dirac Matrices are important because they represent the fundamental symmetries of spacetime, such as Lorentz invariance and time reversal symmetry. They also play a crucial role in the formulation of the Dirac equation, which describes the behavior of fermions in a quantum field theory.

4. Can Higher Dimensional Dirac Matrices be experimentally verified?

While the existence of higher dimensions beyond our 4-dimensional spacetime has not yet been experimentally proven, the use of Higher Dimensional Dirac Matrices is supported by various theoretical frameworks, such as string theory, that propose the existence of these extra dimensions. However, more research and experimentation will be needed to confirm their existence.

5. Are there any practical applications of Higher Dimensional Dirac Matrices?

Higher Dimensional Dirac Matrices have practical applications in theoretical physics, specifically in the development of quantum field theories and understanding the behavior of particles in higher dimensions. They also have potential applications in fields such as condensed matter physics and cosmology, where the effects of extra dimensions may be observed.