High Voltage Rectifier Metering

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to upgrade voltage panel meters that are displaying DC voltage from the output of a high volt rectifier. The current meters are obsolete and use an input directly from the power supply. The speaker suggests installing a signal conditioner to display voltage from 0 to 800 DCV output using a modern DPM. The conversation also touches on testing the existing meter, using a voltage divider to lower the voltage, and the need for a low voltage power supply for the DVM. The speaker also mentions the need for research to determine the appropriate resistor size and the use of excitation voltage in a digital panel meter. They also mention budget constraints not being an issue for the project.
bullit
I need to upgrade voltage panel meters displaying DC voltage from the output of a high volt rectifier. The present meters are obsolete and use an input coming straight from the power supply. I think I need to install some kind of signal conditioner to display voltage from 0 to 800 DCV output using a modern DPM. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
bullit,

Welcome to PF!

A lot depends on what type of accuracy you need, the physical parameters involved, the project budget and any safety codes that may be requisite.

First thing I would do is test if the existing Volt Meter is "scaled" internally, externally, or some combination of both. This should be easy enough to do, just measure the voltage on the leads run to the meter. If the voltage coming to the analog meter is in the mV range, then you will simply need a Digital Volt Meter (DVM) scaled to 0 to 2000V. If the voltage coming to the analog meter is full PS value (0-800Vdc) then you will need to devise a voltage divider to lower the voltage to a reasonable level. If the voltage coming to the analog meter is some scaled percentage of the PS value (perhaps 0-80Vdc) then you will likely be able to use a standard DVM with the appropriate scaling.

You will likely need a low voltage power supply for the DVM.

Fish

Thanks for your input. The voltage to the meter is full scale and I figured to have to use a voltage divider to get the signal down to a usable level. I am going to have to do some research to figure out what size resistors to use that will give me the correct scaling without building a fire on a board. Budget constraints are not much of an issue. These systems are broken and outdated and have to be fixed. I also need to get usable data scaled to feed I/O cards for a data collection system. By the way, what is excitation voltage referring to on a digital panel meter?

Related to High Voltage Rectifier Metering

1. What is a high voltage rectifier meter?

A high voltage rectifier meter is a type of instrument used to measure the output voltage of a rectifier. It is designed to accurately measure high voltages, typically in the range of 1000 volts or more. The meter consists of a display screen, input and output terminals, and various electronic components to measure and display the voltage reading.

2. How does a high voltage rectifier meter work?

A high voltage rectifier meter works by using a series of electronic components, such as resistors and diodes, to convert the high voltage AC signal from the rectifier into a DC signal. This DC signal is then measured and displayed on the meter's screen. The meter also typically includes a voltage divider to reduce the input voltage to a safe and measurable level.

3. What are the benefits of using a high voltage rectifier meter?

High voltage rectifier meters are essential tools for ensuring the safe and efficient operation of high voltage equipment. They provide accurate readings of the output voltage, which is crucial for maintenance and troubleshooting. These meters also typically have safety features, such as overload protection and insulation testing, to protect the user from potential hazards.

4. Can a high voltage rectifier meter be used for other types of electrical measurements?

While high voltage rectifier meters are primarily designed for measuring rectifier output voltages, they can also be used for other types of electrical measurements. Some meters have additional features, such as resistance and continuity testing, making them versatile tools for various applications. However, it's essential to check the specifications of the meter before using it for non-rectifier measurements to ensure accuracy.

5. How do I choose the right high voltage rectifier meter for my needs?

Choosing the right high voltage rectifier meter depends on several factors, such as the maximum voltage and current ratings of the equipment you need to measure. It's crucial to select a meter with a voltage range that is suitable for your application, and that has the necessary safety features. It's also essential to consider the accuracy and resolution of the meter, as well as its durability and reliability for long-term use.