High School video project: What is Gravitational Lensing?

In summary, the speaker wants to pursue science but lacks financial resources. They joined the BreakthroughJuniorChallenge in hopes of winning. They are seeking feedback and comments from knowledgeable individuals on their video submission, which can be found at the provided link. They also welcome constructive criticism on their use of noise effects in the video. Overall, the speaker did well on the science aspect of the video.
Xander Jake
I want to pursue the sciences but I got no green. So I joined the BreakthroughJuniorChallenge in the hopes of winning! I would appreciate it if someone as knowledgeable as the people on this forum could comment and share my video submission.

This is the link:

It's also fine if you guys just burn me in the comments :alien:

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I think you did fine on the science part. However, I would suggest you to dial down the noise effects - both in terms of audio and in terms of video. I found them quite distracting and they obscure the message. Other than that, nicely done.

Related to High School video project: What is Gravitational Lensing?

1. What is gravitational lensing?

Gravitational lensing is a phenomenon in which the gravitational force of a massive object (such as a galaxy or black hole) bends the path of light from a distant object, causing it to appear distorted or magnified.

2. How does gravitational lensing work?

Gravitational lensing occurs when light from a distant object travels through the gravitational field of a massive object. The gravity of the massive object bends the path of the light, causing it to appear distorted or magnified to an observer.

3. What are the different types of gravitational lensing?

The two main types of gravitational lensing are strong lensing and weak lensing. Strong lensing occurs when the distorted image of the distant object is clearly visible, while weak lensing causes a slight distortion in the image that can only be detected through statistical analysis.

4. What can gravitational lensing tell us about the universe?

Gravitational lensing can help us to study the distribution of dark matter, which cannot be directly observed, as it can bend light in the same way as visible matter. It can also provide insight into the mass and structure of massive objects, such as galaxies and clusters of galaxies.

5. How is gravitational lensing used in astronomy?

Gravitational lensing is used by astronomers to study distant objects that would otherwise be too faint or small to observe. It can also be used to study the effects of dark matter and to measure the expansion rate of the universe.