High power transmission lines: underground?

In Summary, high-power transmission lines across the Midwest are controversial because of the cost and the aesthetic impact. It has been suggested that the reason they are not more common is because of cost, but there may be other reasons, such as the difficulty of dissipating heat.
condo-rider
In the Midwest (Iowa, etc.), we get plenty of storms, mostly Winter, and power lines go down frequently.

Someone is about to build a new high-power transmission line across my County (and too near my property!), and I can't figure out why it is not mandatory in the 21st Century that all electrical lines, regular and high-power, be buried underground.

It's been suggested that the factor is cost, but how can a large buried conduit be more expensive than towers and lines and guywires and thousands of insulators, etc. etc.? Once buried, and using modern materials, no ice nor wind nor tornado will interfere; no "stray voltage" or other real or imagined health risk will escape; and, best of all, no ugliness will scar my fine prairie view.

Any good reasons, engineering-wise? Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
In the ground, it is not sufficient to have a few insulators every kilometer - you have to insulate the whole cable. Losses should be higher, and you still have stray voltage. Digging up the ground is expensive, too, in particular if you have to cross existing infrastructure.
Towers are easy to construct, and you don't need many of them. And cables are cheap, if you don't have to isolate them.

Insulation for that voltage is REALLY expensive;
both installation and repairs require excavation.

Believe it or not, utilities spent a fortune developing aesthetic power line towers.
When you see a monopole with cantilevered, curved crossarms and single suspended insulators, please appreciate these replaced awkward looking triangular supports that are much easier to design.

But we're not here yet:

http://webecoist.momtastic.com/2011/05/13/land-of-giants-towering-icelandic-super-sculptures
/

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always been told that it was because high voltage cables had too much capacitance.
This capacitance caused excessive current.

I don't know why it isn't mandatory in the 21st century that we have all of these surface roads taking up space. Why don't we dig tunnels everywhere?

jim hardy said:
Insulation for that voltage is REALLY expensive;
both installation and repairs require excavation.

Believe it or not, utilities spent a fortune developing aesthetic power line towers.
When you see a monopole with cantilevered, curved crossarms and single suspended insulators, please appreciate these replaced awkward looking triangular supports that are much easier to design.

But we're not here yet:

http://webecoist.momtastic.com/2011/05/13/land-of-giants-towering-icelandic-super-sculptures
/

This is definitely one of the coolest things I have ever seen. The other pics on the link are equally impressive.

A man and a woman holding a 500,000 volts worth of cable. Ya, sounds about right:)

Last edited by a moderator:
psparky said:
This is definitely one of the coolest things I have ever seen. The other pics on the link are equally impressive.

A man and a woman holding a 500,000 volts worth of cable. Ya, sounds about right:)

However, seeing mile after mile of that would look a bit creepy to me.

In addition to the other factors mentioned, I understand there is a heat problem. It's much harder to dissipate the heat underground. You may notice that power lines hang lower in the summer than they do in the winter. Granted summer and winter have much less effect underground but how do you deal with the change in length of the cables underground between heavy and light loading?

Who hasn't seen this one at Disneyworld?

Mickey-Power-Pole.jpg

Related to High power transmission lines: underground?

What are high power transmission lines?

High power transmission lines are large electrical cables used to transport electricity from power plants to homes and businesses. These lines are typically made of aluminum or copper and can transmit large amounts of electricity over long distances.

Why are some high power transmission lines placed underground?

Some high power transmission lines are placed underground to reduce the visual and environmental impact of the power lines. This can also help to protect the lines from extreme weather conditions and potential damage from human or animal interference.

What are the benefits of underground high power transmission lines?

Underground high power transmission lines have several benefits, including decreased visual and environmental impact, reduced risk of power outages due to weather or interference, and increased reliability and safety.

What are the challenges of burying high power transmission lines underground?

The main challenge of burying high power transmission lines underground is the cost. It can be significantly more expensive to install underground lines compared to overhead lines. Additionally, underground lines may also require more maintenance and have longer repair times if there is an issue.

Are there any potential health concerns associated with underground high power transmission lines?

There is currently no conclusive evidence that underground high power transmission lines have adverse health effects on humans. However, some studies suggest that long-term exposure to electromagnetic fields, which are present in both overhead and underground power lines, may have health risks. Further research is needed to fully understand any potential health concerns.