Calculating Power Loss in Transmission Line with Transformers

In summary, the question asks to calculate the power lost in a transmission line of 0.6 ohm resistance, delivering 150kW of power to a small town located 15km away from the power station. The power factor is given as 1 and the voltage is 240V. The student is unsure of how to proceed with solving the problem, as they do not have all the necessary values. They are aware of the rule that states power lost is equal to [R(line)*(P2)^2]/[(Veff)^2 * cos^2(phi2) or R(line) * (I2eff)^2 but do not have the values for P2, cos(phi2), and I2eff.
aizen92
This is a question written in my book, i tried to solve it but didnt work with me.

Homework Statement

A power station delivers a power of 150kW to small town at 15km from the station. Energy is transmitted by means of a transmission line of total resistance of 0.6 _()_ (ohm). The power factor is 1. Calculate the power lost as a result of this transmission at a voltage of 240V.
It is in the lesson of transformers.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the rule that the power lost is equal to : [R(line)*(P2)^2]/[(Veff)^2 * cos^2(phi2)
or R(line) * (I2eff)^2 , but i don't have the I2eff and neither do i have P2 nor cos(phi)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to show us your attempt at solving it so we can see what the problem is.

ohh ok ill edit the first post

Related to Calculating Power Loss in Transmission Line with Transformers

What are transformers?

Transformers are electrical devices that are used to transfer electrical energy between two or more circuits by electromagnetic induction.

How do transformers work?

Transformers work by utilizing the principle of electromagnetic induction. An alternating current flowing through the primary coil creates a changing magnetic field, which in turn induces an alternating current in the secondary coil.

What are the main types of transformers?

The main types of transformers are step-up transformers, step-down transformers, and isolation transformers. Step-up transformers increase the voltage while decreasing the current, while step-down transformers do the opposite. Isolation transformers are used to isolate one circuit from another.

What are transformers used for?

Transformers are used in various applications such as power transmission, distribution, and in electronic devices. They are also used in voltage regulators, power supplies, and audio equipment.

How can I determine the efficiency of a transformer?

The efficiency of a transformer can be determined by dividing the output power by the input power, and multiplying the result by 100 to get a percentage. A higher efficiency means that less energy is lost during the transformation process.