Hi I'm An Astronomer....or....at least I thought I was

• Thread starter StarrzDust
  • Start date
In summary, an astronomer shares their experience of thinking they were an expert in their field, only to realize that there is still so much more to learn and explore. They discuss the vastness of the universe and the humbling effect it has on their understanding of the world. Despite their initial disappointment, they remain passionate about their work and continue to discover new wonders in the endless expanse of space.
StarrzDust
I studied at Western Sydney later to James Cook University and completed all course work required for a Masters Degree in Astrophysics. Up on completion I took most of the course work towards a PhD in Astrophysics at James Cook University. I did all the course work via the Internet and was assigned an advisor for my dissertation.

Then due to an audit at the school I was teaching at (a federal job) it was determined that the overseas credit card tuition transaction included a fee that boosted the total over the limit of the credit card. Subsequently, I was told by my supervisor that the principal will no longer authorize helping with my tuition. I had to pay for the $53 over on the credit card and since I did not have the several thousand dollars to pay the balance of my tuition I was forced to drop out and my dream of becoming a PhD graduate and getting the job of my dream was dead in so far as my ability to complete my degree.

I discovered that the PhD program at JCU had disappeared with no explanation. I wondered if this was a fraud. Then when I posed the question into my Google search engine I came across this forum where one posted his take on the JCU astronomy degrees as a possible fraud.

Today, I thought I would check to see if there were any other online astronomy degree programs. The only one that came up was the Swinburne University. There are several on campus programs such as with Australia National University. I nearly fainted when I saw the tuition and fees cost per year. I suppose it is in line with what a top notch American university program might cost but really? You'd need to be rich or be able to qualify for a hefty scholarship. One such offered a $69,000 per annum but reserved for someone with over the top merit. I wonder if the rich in Australia also buy their kids into these programs just like the recent scandals here in the US.

I hope to read about others experiences with overseas institutions of higher learning, if there are any here...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Check out our Academic Guidance forum for more information on various universities and student experiences.