Hi, how to make 2 IF from one IF amplifier circuit, to get higher gain

In summary: Thank you very much sir, is working greetings.In summary, the conversation discusses the process of creating a second IF amplifier and how to couple it with the first amplifier to achieve more gain. The participants also mention the importance of stability and shielding to avoid oscillations and interference. They also share pictures of RF shield fences and their use in circuit boards.
michael1978
Hi, i take one If amplifier, from internet and i want to make the second the same, but i don't know how to couple, of what i need to do, to get more gaing
can somebody help me?
here is one IF amplifier in ltspice, rename in asc, or remove only txt extesion.
and what is the best to do, is for fm receiver?

Attachments

• if_amp.asc.txt
    2.1 KB · Views: 348
  • if amp.pdf
    44.1 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Can you post a PDF screenshot of the circuit? That way I don't have to load your file into my SPICE simulator to be able to reply. (use the UPLOAD button in the lower right of the Edit window)

Also, are you meaning to convert to two different IFs to get the higher gain? It's probably not a good idea to series-connect two amplifiers working at the same frequency (stability can be a practical problem)...

berkeman said:
Can you post a PDF screenshot of the circuit? That way I don't have to load your file into my SPICE simulator to be able to reply. (use the UPLOAD button in the lower right of the Edit window)

Also, are you meaning to convert to two different IFs to get the higher gain? It's probably not a good idea to series-connect two amplifiers working at the same frequency (stability can be a practical problem)...
Hello berkeman, i make pdf file

Thank you for sending a pdf. The circuit shows an output load of 2k and this is about right for feeding a second stage. Just arrange the bias circuit so it is not short circuited by the winding. You also need an input arrangement to connect it to a mixer, and this could be the same thing again. Obviously you need to screen the coils from one another and be careful about layout to preserve stability.

michael1978 said:
Hello berkeman, i make pdf file
Okay, so it's a pretty standard tuned CE BJT amplifier stage for 10.7MHz. You have some higher frequency signal that is mixed down to 10.7MHz, and you want more gain somewhere? Like I mentioned, just series connecting a couple high-gain stages can be problematic for stability. It's best if each IF amplification stage uses a different frequency. What is the original received frequency, and is this the only IF amp stage so far? Is the signal eventually converted down to baseband? Is the signal audio, video or digital? Can you say what the application is?

tech99 said:
Obviously you need to screen the coils from one another and be careful about layout to preserve stability.
Yeah, and consider a covered shield fence around each of the stages -- I've had real problems getting ganged amps at the same frequency to not oscillate...

https://e-fab.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Shield_3D_1.jpg

Shield_3D_1.jpg

Attachments

• Shield_3D_1.jpg
    Shield_3D_1.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 1,013
Last edited:
Likes atyy and dlgoff
tech99 said:
Thank you for sending a pdf. The circuit shows an output load of 2k and this is about right for feeding a second stage. Just arrange the bias circuit so it is not short circuited by the winding. You also need an input arrangement to connect it to a mixer, and this could be the same thing again. Obviously you need to screen the coils from one another and be careful about layout to preserve stability.
GoodMorning, i just have a problem, when i connect second stage, that have to be from first IF output 2K and after, do i need a capacitor only of also a resistor, and if i a need only capacitor, how much must be the value of capacitor and resistor, and output of second stage coupling? Thanks tech99...

berkeman said:
Okay, so it's a pretty standard tuned CE BJT amplifier stage for 10.7MHz. You have some higher frequency signal that is mixed down to 10.7MHz, and you want more gain somewhere? Like I mentioned, just series connecting a couple high-gain stages can be problematic for stability. It's best if each IF amplification stage uses a different frequency. What is the original received frequency, and is this the only IF amp stage so far? Is the signal eventually converted down to baseband? Is the signal audio, video or digital? Can you say what the application is?
Yes this the only first stage, and i want second stage, and Berkeman this for RF frequency is for fm receiver signals...

michael1978 said:
GoodMorning, i just have a problem, when i connect second stage, that have to be from first IF output 2K and after, do i need a capacitor only of also a resistor, and if i a need only capacitor, how much must be the value of capacitor and resistor, and output of second stage coupling? Thanks tech99...
I think you can get rid of R5 (2k) and connect L3 direct to C3 of the next stage.Please look at Berkeman discussion about stability; leave space to experiment.

Likes berkeman
berkeman said:
Yeah, and consider a covered shield fence around each of the stages -- I've had real problems getting ganged amps at the same frequency to not oscillate...

https://e-fab.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Shield_3D_1.jpg

View attachment 232050
What is this, picture?

tech99 said:
I think you can get rid of R5 (2k) and connect L3 direct to C3 of the next stage.Please look at Berkeman discussion about stability; leave space to experiment.
Thank you very much sir, is working greetings.

michael1978 said:
What is this, picture?
It is a drawing of an RF shield fence and top. They are commonly used on RF circuit boards to shield the components underneath from RF interference from other sources, and to contain RF energy being generated by the circuitry under the shield. I've used them in 2.4GHz Zigbee radio designs, for example. Here is a picture of a typical circuit board with several sections of RF circuitry that are using shields to lower cross-talk between them, and to protect against outside interference:

https://sc02.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1jeUO...tal-etching-EMI-RFI-shielding.jpg_350x350.jpg

Precision-metal-etching-EMI-RFI-shielding.jpg_350x350.jpg

And a picture of my PCBA with the radio section under the metal shield can:

RF Card Assembly with RTV New Front Cropped.jpg

Attachments

• RF Card Assembly with RTV New Front Cropped.jpg
    RF Card Assembly with RTV New Front Cropped.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 740
  • Precision-metal-etching-EMI-RFI-shielding.jpg_350x350.jpg
    Precision-metal-etching-EMI-RFI-shielding.jpg_350x350.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 667
Likes atyy
berkeman said:
It is a drawing of an RF shield fence and top. They are commonly used on RF circuit boards to shield the components underneath from RF interference from other sources, and to contain RF energy being generated by the circuitry under the shield. I've used them in 2.4GHz Zigbee radio designs, for example. Here is a picture of a typical circuit board with several sections of RF circuitry that are using shields to lower cross-talk between them, and to protect against outside interference:

https://sc02.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1jeUO...tal-etching-EMI-RFI-shielding.jpg_350x350.jpg

View attachment 232121

And a picture of my PCBA with the radio section under the metal shield can:

View attachment 232120
Thanks man for explainig me, have a nice wekend

Likes berkeman

Related to Hi, how to make 2 IF from one IF amplifier circuit, to get higher gain

Question 1: What is an IF amplifier circuit?

An IF (intermediate frequency) amplifier circuit is a type of electronic circuit used in radio receivers to amplify a specific frequency range, typically between 10 kHz and 30 MHz. It is used to improve the signal-to-noise ratio and selectivity of the received signal.

Question 2: Why would I want to make 2 IF from one IF amplifier circuit?

Making 2 IF (intermediate frequency) from one IF amplifier circuit can improve the overall gain of the circuit. By increasing the number of IF stages, the signal can be amplified multiple times, resulting in a higher overall gain.

Question 3: How can I make 2 IF from one IF amplifier circuit?

To make 2 IF from one IF amplifier circuit, you can use a technique called cascading. This involves connecting multiple IF stages together, with the output of one stage feeding into the input of the next stage. This will result in a higher gain as the signal passes through each stage.

Question 4: What are the potential benefits of having a higher gain in my IF amplifier circuit?

A higher gain in an IF amplifier circuit can improve the overall performance of a radio receiver. It can increase the sensitivity, allowing weaker signals to be detected and amplified. It can also improve the selectivity, reducing interference from other signals.

Question 5: Are there any drawbacks to using cascading to make 2 IF from one IF amplifier circuit?

While cascading can increase the gain of an IF amplifier circuit, it can also introduce additional noise and distortion. Careful design and optimization of the circuit is necessary to balance the benefits of increased gain with the potential drawbacks.