Hi, how to find the magnitude of a rotating vector?

In summary, the magnitude of a rotating vector is determined by its x and y components, and it changes its angle over time.
rashida564
i get stuck in how to find the magnitude of rotating vector . why say that |dA/dt|=A(dθ/dt) but who we can derive it or interpret this fact

Science news on Phys.org
Start from the definitions.

the rotating vector have a constant magnitude but it change it's angle by the time

OK. So write that out mathematically.

write the definition mathematically

Do you not know how to write down the equation for a rotating vector?
A vector in rectangular coordinates is written: ##\vec v = v_x\hat\imath + v_y\hat\jmath##
The magnitude of that vector is ##|\vec v| = v = \sqrt{v_x^2+v_y^2}##

If the vector makes angle ##\theta## to the x-axis, then:
##v_x=v\cos\theta,\; v_y=v\sin\theta##
If the vector rotates, then ##\theta## is a function of time.

From there, and the definition of the derivative, you can derive and interpret the relation yourself.
So here is your task: prove ##\big|\frac{d}{dt} \vec v(t) \big| = v\frac{d}{dt}\theta(t)##

Last edited:
let v=r
dr/dt = lim Δt→0 Δr/Δt
Δr=2rsin(θ/2)
Δr≈rθ
dr/dt=lim Δt→0 Δrθ/Δt
|dt/dt| = r(dθ/dt)
is it correct

No. dt/dt = 1, your delta-r is a non sequitur... basically, what you wrote is nonsense.
It looks like you need to revise your notes about writing vectors.

i saw the explanation from Kleppner and Kolenkow book

What explanation?
Reread post #6. If you will not take advise I cannot help you.
Do you know how to write a vector?

Last edited:
a vector in rectangular coordinates system is written by it's x and y component
then we should write the vector as vcos(θ)i+vsin(θ) j

Well done... so write that out, A= or whatever letter you wsnt to use for a vector.
Then differentiate both sides with respect to time ... you will need the chain rule because ##\theta## is a function of time.

dA/dt=-sin(θ)dθ/dt i +vcos(θ)dθ/dt j

rashida564 said:
dA/dt=-sin(θ)dθ/dt i +vcos(θ)dθ/dt j
You forgot the v in front of sin(θ). Now figure out what angle there is between A and dA/dt .

Likes rashida564
Don't worry about the angle... it's a shortcut but you don't need to figure that out.
Your next step is to find the magnatude. Don't forget that |A| = v
Find the expression for |dA/dt| and simplify.

Likes rashida564
now i get it
|V|= √((-vsin(θ)dθ/dt)^2+(vcos(θ)dθ/dt)^2)
|V|=vdθ/dt*√(sin^2(θ)+cos^2(θ))
|V|=vdθ/dt

Likes Simon Bridge
Well done.
Sometimes you have to just go through the steps without knowing for sure where you will end up.
Of course I could just have told you ... but then you'd have missed out on that "ahah" moment.

Likes rashida564 and vanhees71
thank you

Related to Hi, how to find the magnitude of a rotating vector?

1. What is a rotating vector?

A rotating vector is a vector that changes direction as it moves around a fixed point or axis. It can also change in magnitude, depending on its speed and direction of rotation.

2. How do you calculate the magnitude of a rotating vector?

The magnitude of a rotating vector can be calculated by finding the length of the vector at any given point in its rotation. This can be done using trigonometric functions to calculate the horizontal and vertical components of the vector, and then using the Pythagorean theorem to find the length.

3. What is the difference between magnitude and speed of a rotating vector?

The magnitude of a rotating vector refers to its length or size, while the speed refers to how fast it is rotating. A vector can have a constant magnitude but varying speed, or a constant speed but varying magnitude.

4. Can the magnitude of a rotating vector be negative?

Yes, the magnitude of a rotating vector can be negative. This typically occurs when the vector is rotating in the opposite direction of the axis or fixed point, resulting in a negative length.

5. How is a rotating vector represented mathematically?

A rotating vector can be represented using a combination of its magnitude, direction, and speed. It is often written as a complex number or in polar coordinates, with the magnitude as the modulus and the direction as the argument.