Hi Help with shell balance

In summary, the conversation discusses a request for help with shell balance and the main assumptions that need to be considered. The person also asks for recommendations for resources to better understand shell balance. They mention using the Frimont and Bischoff textbook and trying Google for help, but have not found success. The conversation ends with a clarification of where the shell balance is being applied and a suggestion to ask a more specific question to receive better assistance.
sweetzz_85
hi all!

is there anybody who can help me with shell balance?
one of my main questions is wat are the main assumptions wen we apply shell balance...
moreover.. can anybody suggest a gud book or site/tutorial wer i can get a hang of shell balance properly?

thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Is this for a Fluid Mechanics course? Have you been assigned a textbook? (Which one?)

Try Google...

General information is here:

http://www.clarkson.edu/subramanian/ch301/notes/shell.doc

Assumptions are list here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shell_Balance

Last edited by a moderator:
chemical recations engg

oh you forgot bout that... regarding chemical kinetics... I'm using frooment n bischoff... but not of much help... i tried google..didnt help..

sweetzz_85 said:
oh you forgot bout that... regarding chemical kinetics... I'm using frooment n bischoff... but not of much help... i tried google..didnt help..

Where exactly are you trying to apply a shell balance in reaction engineering and what are you applying it to? The chemical species which are consumed in a reactor with a specified geometry (ie, plug-flow, cstr, etc)?

I think your initial question is too broad to give any meaningful assistance. If you're stuck in something specific, like a derivation or question, post that here and it'll be easier to help.

Related to Hi Help with shell balance

1. What is a shell balance?

A shell balance is a scientific concept used to describe the equilibrium between the forces acting on a shell or membrane. It is commonly used in the study of fluid mechanics and structural engineering.

2. How is a shell balance calculated?

A shell balance is calculated by summing up all the forces acting on the shell and setting them equal to zero. This includes external forces (such as gravity or air resistance) and internal forces (such as tension or pressure).

3. What are some real-world applications of shell balance?

Shell balance is used in many fields, such as aerospace engineering, civil engineering, and biomechanics. Some examples of real-world applications include analyzing the stability of buildings and bridges, designing airplane wings, and studying the mechanics of cell membranes.

4. Can shell balance be used for non-circular shapes?

Yes, shell balance can be used for any shape as long as it can be approximated as a membrane or shell. This includes non-circular shapes, such as squares, rectangles, and triangles.

5. Are there any limitations to using shell balance?

While shell balance is a useful tool for analyzing forces on shells and membranes, it does have its limitations. It assumes that the shell is thin and rigid, and that all forces are acting perpendicular to the surface. In reality, this may not always be the case and other methods may need to be used.