Active cell balancing with LTC3300-2

• Thread starter Reynald
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cell
In summary, the conversation was focused on choosing the right microcontroller for a project that involves active cell balancing in an electric car. The group is planning to use the LTC3300-2 IC and are seeking advice on how to connect it to the chosen microcontroller and how to stack another LTC3300-2 for increased capacity. They also discussed their experiences with different microcontrollers and gave advice on picking a reliable one.
Reynald
Hi everyone good day to all who will read this!

We have a project about active cell balancing that will be put inside an electric-car. We are planning to use LTC3300-2 IC that can perform charge transfer. However, our question is that, How to choose the right microcontroller for our project considering we are about to create 6cells in a stack, and it must be stackable. Also we want to ask for guidance in implementing the connection between the chosen microcontroller and LTC3300-2. And if we want to stack another LTC3300-2 two extend the capacity of the cell balancer, how can we do that? Any advice even a little bit will be much appreciated, Thanks and god bless everyone have a nice day!

Likes Reynald
jim hardy said:
I never used one of those

but the datasheet and appnote look pretty self explanatory

http://cds.linear.com/docs/en/datasheet/33002fa.pdf
http://cds.linear.com/docs/en/lt-journal/LTJournal-V23N1-01-df-LTC3300-1-Drew.pdf
and if i read them right the -1 might be better adapted to stacking . Will you have more than 36 volts ?You'll learn fastest by doing

patch together an experimental one to learn its tricks.
thank you for answering, our plan for 1 stack is about 6cells = 24volts and we need 2 stacks so it will be about 48volts in total when we stack another 6cells. overall it will be 12cells. Thank you, much appreciated.

Reynald said:
How to choose the right microcontroller for our project

i'd be talking through my hat if i claimed any expertise.
Last one i used was a Domino-II by Micromint about fifteen tears ago. I chose it because we had 5 days to get a project going, including ordering the parts. The Domino you program in Basic so there was no learning curve to stumble up. The company was small enough then i got personal help from its founder.
I used both its serial(RS232) and I2C communication ports, and a few bits of parallel I/O .

I recently bought an Arduino just to see what they're about. Its language i found harder to learn than Basic
but it's compiled so runs many times faster.

I'd advise pick one that'll likely still be around twenty years from now. Your first one is hardest to learn.
I;d probably look at Texas Instruments just because of who they are. And at Micromint because they're still growing and have a heritage of practicality..
But I'm way back in the dust behind the young folks on this subject. Ask some hobbyists in your outfit.

Sorry can't do more

old jim

Related to Active cell balancing with LTC3300-2

What is active cell balancing?

Active cell balancing is a technique used in battery management systems to equalize the charge levels of individual cells in a battery pack. This is important for prolonging the overall lifespan and performance of the battery.

How does the LTC3300-2 facilitate active cell balancing?

The LTC3300-2 is a specialized integrated circuit that is designed to actively balance the charge levels of cells in a battery pack. It does this by monitoring the voltage levels of each cell and transferring charge between them using a process called "cell balancing".

What are the benefits of using active cell balancing with the LTC3300-2?

There are several benefits to using active cell balancing with the LTC3300-2. These include prolonging the overall lifespan of the battery pack, improving the overall performance and efficiency of the battery, and reducing the risk of cell failure or damage.

Are there any limitations to using the LTC3300-2 for active cell balancing?

While the LTC3300-2 is a highly effective tool for active cell balancing, there are some limitations to consider. These include the maximum number of cells that can be balanced (up to 6 cells), the maximum current that can be transferred between cells (up to 500mA), and the need for external components such as resistors and capacitors.

Can the LTC3300-2 be used with any type of battery?

The LTC3300-2 is designed to work with a wide range of battery chemistries, including lithium-ion, lithium-polymer, and lithium-iron-phosphate. However, it is important to carefully read the datasheet and ensure proper compatibility with your specific battery pack before using this IC for active cell balancing.