Hi all. Need Advice. Thank you

In summary, a person is seeking advice on how to become a theoretical physicist and how much money it would require. They are currently studying math and economics, but realize they need to major in physics to pursue this career. They are struggling to find universities in their country that offer a physics major, but with some quick online research, they are able to find two universities that do offer it. They thank the person for their response and apologize for not doing enough research beforehand.
zesi
Hi all. Need Advice. Thank you :)

Hi all.

Sorry if this kind of question has been posted but I try googling my question, so here is where I end up. Most of the threads that I read didn't actually specifically answer my question.

Anyway, my question is, "How do I study and become a theoretical Physicists"

I know this question is vague. Currently I am doing my BSc Mathematics and Economics, still first year. I know I am still pretty far from being able to study theoretical physics, so I don't intend to pursue theoretical physics study anytime soon yet. I just want to have an idea. And of course, how much money I need to pursue this dream. If this is any help, this is a link of the subjects I am studying for my BSc

http://www.simge.edu.sg/idc/groups/ge_partner_uni_uol/documents/downloadable_file/idcpub002986.pdf

I live in Singapore and my country doesn't seems to offer this field of study.

Hope someone could help by showing me like a path, where should I begin, how do I go from there and which institution can I look for. :)

Second question: I already have a basic understanding of physics. But during my free time, I want to do some reading on physics subjects, Like thermodynamics, cosmology, string theory. I don't intend to learn all at once lol. Just recommendation for a textbook related to the study of theoretical physics.

thank you all!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Theoretical physics is a way of approaching physics, not a field of physics. You'd need a PhD in physics to do physics research. You really need to major in physics. Math is useful, but economics isn't doing anything for you. Why aren't you majoring in physics? Reading books for the lay-person isn't teaching you physics, and is probably giving you a pretty warped idea of the field. You need to start at the beginning before moving up to what you might consider the more interesting stuff.

eri said:
Theoretical physics is a way of approaching physics, not a field of physics. You'd need a PhD in physics to do physics research. You really need to major in physics. Math is useful, but economics isn't doing anything for you. Why aren't you majoring in physics? Reading books for the lay-person isn't teaching you physics, and is probably giving you a pretty warped idea of the field. You need to start at the beginning before moving up to what you might consider the more interesting stuff.

thank you for your response! But where can I find a degree that offers Physics Major? The reason is because, there is no Physics Major in my country. Of course I don't mind starting from the beginning, I actually expected to put myself to start from the beginning. But the problem is, I kept googling and still can't get an idea of how/where should start, and where do I go from there.
thank you :)

Angry Citizen said:
http://www.physics.nus.edu.sg/corporate/student/pros_undergrad.html

http://www.spms.ntu.edu.sg/pap/Undergraduates/UndergradOverview.html

And that's just after five minutes of searching.

Thank you. I really apologise for my mistake. I didn't do a search on that two uni. I do know that two uni, I just assumed they did not offer it. Thank you. I already know what to do.

Last edited by a moderator:

zesi said:
Thank you. I really apologise for my mistake. I didn't do a search on that two uni. I do know that two uni, I just assumed they did not offer it. Thank you. I already know what to do.

No need to apologize. Just try not to make too many assumptions from now on :)

Related to Hi all. Need Advice. Thank you

1. What kind of advice do you need?

I am looking for advice on a specific topic or situation.

2. Can you provide more details about your situation?

Yes, I can provide more information about my situation in order to receive more specific advice.

3. How urgent is your need for advice?

My need for advice may be urgent or not, but I am seeking help as soon as possible.

4. Are you open to different perspectives and opinions?

Yes, I am open to hearing different perspectives and opinions in order to make the best decision.

5. How can I help you?

Any advice or insights you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help.