Hey there -- taking more classes to upgrade my career (RN)

In summary: I just can't take it anymore. I feel like I'm not good enough and I can't do anything right. I'm sorry if I'm being too transparent, I just needed to get it off my chest.In summary, Angie's name is Angie, in high school she suffered from anxiety, her performance in class was non-existent, which lead her to believe she was "dumb". Now that she is in her twenties, she wants to be a registered nurse in order to help others and fulfill a promise she made to her little sister. Angie is trying to learn her school work so that she can be successful in her career goals.
angie19
my name is Angie, in high school I suffered anxiety, my performance in class was non-existence. which lead me to believe I was "dumb" ..
Now that I am in my twenties I realize after " finding myself" I want to be a registered nurse.
so here I am upgrading my grade 12 courses. I finished Biology with an 80% ( highest mark I ever achieved in my life) my old marks were either a failing 40% or right on the marker 50%.
I really want to understand Math and physics, instead of hoping for the best, I want to be able to break down the question step by step and understand the formulas at hand.

Likes Nidum, Dr. Courtney and Logical Dog
Physics news on Phys.org
Dear Angie,
Your wants are very doable indeed!

I am a 61 year old retired college professor that dropped out of high school in the 7th grade. My parents library was ever flowing due to the fact they both were very educated and quite practical. What I am trying to say Angie, is that nothing is unattainable with honest interest and perseverance. So go out there and get em! You shall succeed! With those two attributes you shall do well and be happy, I promise you that!

Best of luck!

Alex "Electron Spin" S

Likes Logical Dog and angie19
angie19 said:
Now that I am in my twenties I realize after " finding myself" I want to be a registered nurse.
That's a wonderful goal, Angie. Nursing can be a very rewarding career, in multiple ways. Have you had much in the way of patient contacts (perhaps through volunteer work or other ways)? Is that why you are wanting to get into health care? :smile:

berkeman said:
That's a wonderful goal, Angie. Nursing can be a very rewarding career, in multiple ways. Have you had much in the way of patient contacts (perhaps through volunteer work or other ways)? Is that why you are wanting to get into health care? :smile:
On a very personal level my little sister passed away couple years ago, I took care of her while she was sick; changed her bandages, cared for her while she had her many several painful surgeries, I really tried to make her feel as normal as possible. She always told me I was gentle and actually wanted me to do nursing which I made a promise to her shortly before she passed away.
I feel this is the closest thing I will get to closure, as well as there's really no other job occupation that drives my passion towards working hard for.
I am trying to learn my school work never in my life have I "given it my all", the physics section- mixed emotions sighs**
I

Likes berkeman
angie19 said:
On a very personal level my little sister passed away couple years ago, I took care of her while she was sick
I'm so sorry for your loss, Angie. That had to be very difficult for your whole family. But I can definitely understand how that would motivate you to go into the Health Care field.

I work part-time in EMS, so feel free to send me a PM if you have detailed questions that are hard to answer in the open forums. Best wishes. :smile:

Likes Electron Spin and angie19
Hello, marks don't reflect anything but your understanding at the TIME you took the exams. Just cause you scored badly once does not mean you will stay at the level for the rest of your life. I have failed plenty of exams (maths, financial accounting, biology, mechanics) and got the best in some too (mechanics, economics, biology) and am a regular joke and known as a failure in my family. Does not deter me one bit. Live your life. as the poster said almost everything is achievable if you work hard.
. good luck.

Likes Electron Spin and angie19
Electron Spin said:
Dear Angie,
Your wants are very doable indeed!

I am a 61 year old retired college professor that dropped out of high school in the 7th grade. My parents library was ever flowing due to the fact they both were very educated and quite practical. What I am trying to say Angie, is that nothing is unattainable with honest interest and perseverance. So go out there and get em! You shall succeed! With those two attributes you shall do well and be happy, I promise you that!

Best of luck!

Alex "Electron Spin" S
Thank you so much for your kind words! reading your personal story is relatable, I have been beating myself up lately with physics. My negative thoughts got a hold of me a couple days ago which literally put my into an emotional and mental breakdown, my little sister passed away and I promised before she passed away that I would get into nursing, I do not want to be a "failure". I never got to make her proud of me she is what fires my soul and pushes me past these limits I never knew were possible.
Since I have never paid attention in school, the task at hand is more then just learning the material. Essentially I am ( learning how to learn) thus I am studying everyday 8am- 9pm sometimes 10 or 11 pm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Electron Spin
berkeman said:
I'm so sorry for your loss, Angie. That had to be very difficult for your whole family. But I can definitely understand how that would motivate you to go into the Health Care field.

I work part-time in EMS, so feel free to send me a PM if you have detailed questions that are hard to answer in the open forums. Best wishes. :smile:
Thank you so much I will for sure!

Likes berkeman
I taught in a community college for 18 years. Some of the classes I taught were remedial math classes, often with one or two older students with stories similar to yours, Angie, about doing poorly in high school, especially in science or math classes. They were some of the best students, as they were always in class, and did the homework very consistently. They were always surprised by how well they did in the class, not realizing that putting in the effort went a long way toward success in the course.

Likes Electron Spin, angie19 and berkeman
Getting into nursing school is extremely competitive. You need very a very high GPA and TEAs scores. You don't need physics for nursing. You will need college algebra and eventually statistics. Focus on those. Don't do other, harder classes that can put a dentist into your GPA.

If you really want to be a registered nurse go to the boards on allnurses.com

Good luck!

LeftMyHeartInErebor said:
Getting into nursing school is extremely competitive. You need very a very high GPA and TEAs scores. You don't need physics for nursing. You will need college algebra and eventually statistics. Focus on those. Don't do other, harder classes that can put a dentist into your GPA.

If you really want to be a registered nurse go to the boards on allnurses.com

Good luck!
Nurse students are required to learn some from biological science and chemistry (there is, at least, "introductory chemistry" being part of the requirement, and I believe, "introductory microbiology").
What is wrong with putting a "dentist" into ones GPA? A dentist could be good for your health.

Just joking - you probably meant to write, "dent", and not "dentist".

Likes LeftMyHeartInErebor
symbolipoint said:
Nurse students are required to learn some from biological science and chemistry (there is, at least, "introductory chemistry" being part of the requirement, and I believe, "introductory microbiology").
What is wrong with putting a "dentist" into ones GPA? A dentist could be good for your health.

Just joking - you probably meant to write, "dent", and not "dentist".

bwahaha auto correct, yes you are right. *dent* And yes an intro chem and microbiology are pre-reqs.

Related to Hey there -- taking more classes to upgrade my career (RN)

What is the purpose of taking more classes to upgrade my career as an RN?

The purpose of taking more classes as an RN is to continue your professional development and advance your career. These classes can provide you with new skills and knowledge that can enhance your job performance and open up new opportunities for career growth.

How will taking more classes benefit my career as an RN?

Taking more classes can benefit your career as an RN in several ways. It can help you stay up-to-date with the latest advancements and best practices in your field, improving your job performance and making you a more valuable employee. It can also help you meet the continuing education requirements for maintaining your RN license and potentially lead to promotions or higher paying positions.

What types of classes should I take to upgrade my career as an RN?

The types of classes you should take to upgrade your career as an RN will depend on your specific goals and interests. You may choose to take classes that focus on a specific specialty or area of nursing, such as pediatrics or critical care. You may also consider taking classes in leadership, management, or advanced practice to prepare for higher level positions.

How often should I take classes to upgrade my career as an RN?

The frequency of taking classes to upgrade your career as an RN will depend on your personal schedule and goals. Some nurses may choose to take classes every year, while others may take classes every few years. It's important to find a balance between continuing your education and managing your workload.

Are there any online options for taking classes to upgrade my career as an RN?

Yes, there are many online options for taking classes to upgrade your career as an RN. Many universities and organizations offer online courses and programs specifically designed for working nurses. Online classes can provide flexibility and convenience, allowing you to continue working while pursuing further education.