Hey guys, take a look at my work for a stationary integral?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the path between two points, O=(0,0) and P=(0,4) such that the integral int. O to P (x (1-y'^2))^(1/2) dx becomes stationary. The attempt at a solution involves using the example from Wikipedia with the function L= (x)^1/2 (1-y'^2)^1/2 and taking the derivative to find a nonlinear ODE. The conversation then discusses simplifying the equation and eventually getting it into the form f(x) = g(t)t', where t = y', and then integrating to get an equation relating x to y'.
Kidphysics

Homework Statement

Path between O=(0,0) and P=(0,4) for which the integral

int. O to P (x (1-y'^2))^(1/2) dx

becomes stationary.

Homework Equations

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calculus_of_variations#Example

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay guys,

so mimicking the example from wiki but with L= (x)^1/2 (1-y'^2)^1/2

dL/dy=0 and dL/dy'= -(x)^1/2 y' / (1-y'^2)^1/2 and then d/dx dL/df' = - y'/[(2x^1/2)(1-y'^2)^1/2]

and since d/dx dL/df' =0 this implies y'=0 and we integrate to get y=c, adhering to boundary conditions y must equal 0... was that the correct way sorry for not writing in latex if I must I will redo the post

Physics news on Phys.org
Kidphysics said:
dL/dy'= -(x)^1/2 y' / (1-y'^2)^1/2 and then d/dx dL/df' = - y'/[(2x^1/2)(1-y'^2)^1/2]
That last expression looks too simple. There should be a y" in there, and two different powers of x. Remember it's not a partial derivative this time.

haruspex said:
That last expression looks too simple. There should be a y" in there, and two different powers of x. Remember it's not a partial derivative this time.

ahhhh you are correct! y is a function of x..

well.. I used the product rule and the chain rule and now I am looking at an unbelievable

2 x^1/2 y'^2 y'' - 1/2 x^-1/2 y' - x^1/2 y'' + 1/2 x^-1/2 y'^3 =0 .

I believe I took the derivative correctly this time but now I am lost as what to do with this..

haruspex said:

well.. I used the product rule and the chain rule and now I am looking at an unbelievable

2 x^1/2 y'^2 y'' - 1/2 x^-1/2 y' - x^1/2 y'' + 1/2 x^-1/2 y'^3 =0 .

I believe I took the derivative correctly this time but now I am lost as what to do with this.

Allow me to put that in LaTex:

[tex]2 x^{1/2} y'^2 y'' - (1/2)x^{-1/2} y' - x^{1/2} y'' + (1/2) x^{-1/2} y'^3 =0
[/tex]
Simplifying:
[tex]4 x y'^2 y'' - y' - 2x y'' + y'^3 =0 [/tex]
But that's not quite what I get. Writing K = (1-y'2)1/2:
L = x1/2K
∂K/∂y' = -y'/K
∂L/∂y' = -x1/2y'/K
[tex]0 = -\frac{d(∂L/∂y')}{dx} = \frac{x^{-1/2}y'}{2K} + \frac{x^{1/2}y''}{K} - \frac{x^{1/2}y'\frac{∂K}{∂y'}y''}{K^2}[/tex]
[tex]0 = y'+ 2xy'' - 2\frac{xy'\frac{∂K}{∂y'}y''}{K}[/tex]
[tex]0 = y'+ 2xy'' + 2\frac{xy'^2y''}{K^2}[/tex]
[tex]0 = (y'+ 2xy'')(1-y'^2) + 2xy'^2y''[/tex]
[tex]0 = y'+ 2xy'' - y'^3[/tex]
Is that right or did I get sign wrong somewhere?

haruspex said:
Allow me to put that in LaTex:

[tex]2 x^{1/2} y'^2 y'' - (1/2)x^{-1/2} y' - x^{1/2} y'' + (1/2) x^{-1/2} y'^3 =0
[/tex]
Simplifying:
[tex]4 x y'^2 y'' - y' - 2x y'' + y'^3 =0 [/tex]
But that's not quite what I get. Writing K = (1-y'2)1/2:
L = x1/2K
∂K/∂y' = -y'/K
∂L/∂y' = -x1/2y'/K
[tex]0 = -\frac{d(∂L/∂y')}{dx} = \frac{x^{-1/2}y'}{2K} + \frac{x^{1/2}y''}{K} - \frac{x^{1/2}y'\frac{∂K}{∂y'}y''}{K^2}[/tex]
[tex]0 = y'+ 2xy'' - 2\frac{xy'\frac{∂K}{∂y'}y''}{K}[/tex]
[tex]0 = y'+ 2xy'' + 2\frac{xy'^2y''}{K^2}[/tex]
[tex]0 = (y'+ 2xy'')(1-y'^2) + 2xy'^2y''[/tex]
Is that right or did I get sign wrong somewhere?

hey thanks, jumped out of bed to respond.. I'm sure you have the math correct but I can't see how this helps us get a solution the the original problem. At this step we have a nonlinear ode so I'm a little frightened we are on the wrong track? Thank you for helping thus far

haruspex said:
It's not hard from there. There are no y terms, so it's first order, and you can get it into the form f(x) = g(t)t' where t = y', so then it's just an integration to get an equation relating x to y'.

Related to Hey guys, take a look at my work for a stationary integral?

1. What is a stationary integral?

A stationary integral is a type of integral in calculus that involves finding the critical points of a function and using them to calculate the area under the curve. It is often used in optimization problems to find the maximum or minimum value of a function.

2. How do you determine the critical points in a stationary integral?

The critical points in a stationary integral can be found by setting the derivative of the function equal to zero and solving for the variable. These points represent the locations where the function changes from increasing to decreasing or vice versa, and are necessary for calculating the area under the curve.

3. What is the purpose of using a stationary integral?

The purpose of a stationary integral is to find the maximum or minimum value of a function, which can be useful in optimizing a system or finding the most efficient solution to a problem.

4. What are some common applications of stationary integrals?

Stationary integrals are commonly used in physics, engineering, and economics to solve optimization problems. They can also be used to calculate the area under a curve in order to find important values such as work, profit, or cost.

5. How is a stationary integral different from a regular integral?

A stationary integral is different from a regular integral in that it involves finding the critical points of a function and using them to calculate the area under the curve, rather than simply finding the antiderivative of a function. This makes it more useful for solving optimization problems and finding maximum or minimum values.