Metric of a globally negatively curved space

In summary, a conversation about solving a 2D negatively curved surface problem involved finding the metric coefficients, transforming Cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates, and finding the expression for the metric under the transformation. The surface was described by the equation ##x^2 + y^2 - z^2 = a^2## and the transformation matrix was derived using the equations ##x = \rho \cos \phi## and ##y = \rho \sin \phi##. The transformation to polar coordinates allows for easier calculation and understanding of the surface.
BOAS

Homework Statement

I think I have managed to do the first three parts of this problem ok, but I am struggling with part 4.
[/B]
A 2D negatively curved surface can be described in 3D Euclidean Cartesian coordinates by the equation:

##x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = −a^2##.​

1) Find the 2D line element for points in the 2D space (x,y):

##dl^2 = h_{ij}dx^i dx^j##​

2) Find the metric coefficients for the line element.

3) Write down the transformation of the Cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates, and compute the transformation matrix:

##\frac{\partial x^{' a}}{\partial x^{b}}## , with ##x^{'a} = (x, y)## and ##x^a = (\rho, \phi)##.​

4) Find the expression for the metric under the transformation to polar coordinates.

5) Explain two advantages of this transformation

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
1) In Euclidean 3-space we have ##ds^2 = dx^2 + dy^2 + dz^2##. Using the surface as a constraint equation and differentiating the line element:

##2x dx + 2y dy + 2z dz = 0##

Solving for ##dz##, ##dz = \frac{- x dx - y dy}{z} = \frac{- x dx - y dy}{\sqrt{- a^2 - x^2 - y^2}}##

and so ##ds^2 = dx^2 + dy^2 - \frac{(x dx + y dy)^2}{a^2 + x^2 + y^2}##

2) Multiplying this out and reading off the coefficients

##h_{xx} = 1 - \frac{x^2}{a^2 + x^2 + y^2}##

##h_{yx} = h_{xy} = - \frac{xy}{a^2 + x^2 + y^2}##

##h_{yy} = 1 - \frac{y^2}{a^2 + x^2 + y^2}##

3) ##x = \rho \cos \phi##, ##y = \rho \sin \phi##

##X^{'a} = (x, y)##, ##X^a = (\rho, \phi)##

##\begin{pmatrix}
\frac{\partial X^{'1}}{\partial X^1} & \frac{\partial X^{'1}}{\partial X^2} \\ \frac{\partial X^{'2}}{\partial X^1} & \frac{\partial X^{'2}}{\partial X^2}
\end{pmatrix} =
\begin{pmatrix}
\frac{\partial x}{\partial \rho} & \frac{\partial x}{\partial \phi} \\ \frac{\partial y}{\partial \rho} & \frac{\partial y}{\partial \phi}
\end{pmatrix} =
\begin{pmatrix}
\cos \phi & - \rho \sin \phi \\ \sin \phi & \rho \cos \phi
\end{pmatrix}
##

4) This is where I am having troubles. I am confused about how this all fits together to actually perform this transformation.

Some guidance would be really appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
BOAS said:
A 2D negatively curved surface can be described in 3D Euclidean Cartesian coordinates by the equation:

x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = −a^2.
Is this correctly quoted? That looks like the empty set to me.

Orodruin said:
Is this correctly quoted? That looks like the empty set to me.

It is correctly quoted

Well, then it is wrong. The set ##x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = -a^2## is the empty set (assuming ##a## is real, if it is imaginary it is just a sphere).

Orodruin said:
Well, then it is wrong. The set ##x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = -a^2## is the empty set (assuming ##a## is real, if it is imaginary it is just a sphere).

Ah, you're right. When dealing with negatively curved spaces we do say ##a \rightarrow ia##

Then it is a sphere.

What you are probably looking for is the one-sheet hyperboloid ##x^2 + y^2 - z^2 = a^2##.

Related to Metric of a globally negatively curved space

What is the metric of a globally negatively curved space?

The metric of a globally negatively curved space is a mathematical representation of the distance between points in that space. It is defined by a set of equations that describe how the space is curved and how distances are measured.

How is the metric of a globally negatively curved space different from a positively curved space?

The metric of a globally negatively curved space is different from a positively curved space in that it has a negative curvature, meaning that the space is curved like the surface of a saddle. This is in contrast to a positively curved space, which is curved like the surface of a sphere.

What is the significance of a globally negatively curved space in physics?

Globally negatively curved spaces have significant implications in physics, particularly in the study of general relativity and cosmology. They are used to model the large-scale structure of the universe and play a crucial role in understanding the evolution of the universe.

Can the metric of a globally negatively curved space be visualized?

While it is difficult to visualize a globally negatively curved space in its entirety, it can be represented in two-dimensional models. One common visualization is the hyperbolic plane, which is a two-dimensional surface with a constant negative curvature.

What are some real-life examples of globally negatively curved spaces?

Some examples of globally negatively curved spaces include the surface of a saddle, the universe as a whole, and certain types of black holes. These spaces can also be found in the geometry of crystals and the behavior of fluids.