Hermite Polynomial Reccurence Relation

In summary, the homework statement is that Hermite polynomials can be solved using the Rodrigues form, and that the attempt at a solution is that Hn+1 = (-1)n+1ex2\frac{d^(n+1)}{dx^(n+1)}(e-x2).
Scootertaj

Homework Statement

Prove, using Rodrigues form, that Hn+1=2xHn -2nHn-1

Homework Equations

The Rodrigues form for Hermite polynomials is the following:

Hn = (-1)nex2[itex]\frac{d^n}{dx^n}[/itex](e-x2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Hn+1 = (-1)n+1ex2[itex]\frac{d^(n+1)}{dx^(n+1)}[/itex](e-x2)
where [itex]\frac{d^(n+1)}{dx^(n+1)}[/itex](e-x2) means the (n+1)th derivative of e-x2
2xHn = 2x*(-1)nex2[itex]\frac{d^n}{dx^n}[/itex](e-x2)
2nHn-1 = 2n*(-1)n-1ex2[itex]\frac{d^(n-1)}{dx^(n-1)}[/itex](e-x2)
So, Hn+1 - 2xHn + 2nHn-1 should be = 0.
Well,

Hn+1 - 2xHn + 2nHn-1 = (-1)n-1ex2 * [ [itex]\frac{d^(n+1)}{dx^(n+1)}[/itex](e-x2) + 2x * [itex]\frac{d^n}{dx^n}[/itex](e-x2) + 2n * [itex]\frac{d^(n-1)}{dx^(n-1)}[/itex](e-x2) ]

but, I don't really know where to go from there.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If I were you, I would try induction...

susskind_leon said:
If I were you, I would try induction...
I've tried, but it doesn't seem to get me anywhere.

Base case n=1: H1+1 = 2xH1 - 2(1)H0 ?
Yep since H2 = 4x2-2 = 2x(2x) - 2

Assume Hk+1 = 2xHk - 2kHk-1
Try to prove Hk+2 = 2xHk+1 - 2(k+1)HkWell, we know Hk+2 = (-1)k+2ex2(dk+2/dxk+2)[e-x2]

So, does Hk+2 = 2xHk+1 - 2(k+1)Hk = (-1)k+2ex2(dk+2/dxk+2)[e-x2] ?
Well, 2xHk+1 - 2(k+1)Hk = 2x(2xHk - 2kHk-1) - 2(k+1)Hk = 4x2Hk - 4xkHk-1 - 2kHk - 2Hk

I don't see how I finish it.

Try to express [itex]H_{k+2}[/itex] in terms of [itex]H_{k+1}[/itex], without using any of the assumption. What do you need to do to get from [itex]H_{k+1}[/itex] to [itex]H_{k+2}[/itex]?

That's what I've been trying to figure out, what the relationship is between Hk+2 and Hk+1 using only Rodrigues form.
The main thing I can see is that Hk+2 * (n+1)th derivative of e-x2 = -Hk+1 * (n+2)nd derivative of e-x2

I'm sadly lost :(

How about [itex]H_{n+1}=- e^{x^2} \frac{d}{dx}[e^{-x^2}H_n][/itex]
Can you use this relation to make the induction step?

Ahh I got it I think, thanks!

Related to Hermite Polynomial Reccurence Relation

What is a Hermite polynomial recurrence relation?

A Hermite polynomial recurrence relation is a mathematical formula used to generate a sequence of Hermite polynomials. It is based on the formula: H(n+1)(x) = 2xH(n)(x) - 2nH(n-1)(x) where H(n)(x) represents the nth Hermite polynomial.

What are Hermite polynomials used for?

Hermite polynomials are used in mathematical analysis, specifically in the study of harmonic oscillators and quantum mechanics. They are also used in probability theory and statistics to describe the distribution of values in a normal distribution.

How do Hermite polynomials differ from other types of polynomials?

Hermite polynomials are different from other types of polynomials because they are orthogonal, meaning they have a special relationship with the inner product of two functions. They also have a distinctive recurrence relation, as mentioned above, which is used to generate the sequence of polynomials.

What are the key properties of Hermite polynomials?

Some key properties of Hermite polynomials include their orthogonality, their recurrence relation, and their connection to the Hermite differential equation. They also have a unique set of zeros and can be expressed in terms of the gamma function.

How can Hermite polynomials be applied in real-world situations?

Hermite polynomials have many practical applications, including in physics, engineering, and statistics. They are used to model physical systems such as quantum harmonic oscillators and heat conduction. They are also used in signal processing and data analysis to describe and analyze data in a normal distribution.