Help with writing prac report discussion D:

In summary, when writing a discussion for a laboratory report, it is important to focus on the purpose of the experiment, the results, and how they support or refute the hypothesis, while also providing additional insights and comparing with other studies.
man0005

Homework Statement

Hey guys

been losing a lot of marks for my discussion on my prac reports, as i tend to talk too much irrelevant stuff like errors (which should be in error analysis)
could someone please tell what i should include/talk about in a discussion? i know to talk about the results but i usually end up not finding enough stuff to talk about...
If any of you have some examples that you could upload, that would be great as well

Our next prac writeup is to to "use the conservation of energy laws to investigate the effect of the mass of the object moving down an incline and the vertical height of the incline on the velocity of the object at the bottom of the incline".
So maybe if you have some points i could talk about that prac specifically to use as an example, that might also help

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
When writing a discussion, it is important to focus on the purpose of the experiment, the results of the experiment, and how the results compare with other studies. The overall goal is to explain how the results of the experiment support or refute the hypothesis, while also providing additional insights into the experiment. For the prac writeup that you mentioned, you could start by restating the purpose of the experiment and discussing what was expected to happen based on the conservation of energy laws. Then, you could discuss the results of the experiment, providing numerical values and graphical representations of the data. You should then explain how the results support or refute the hypothesis, and analyze any discrepancies between the expected and actual results. Finally, you could explain any additional insights that you gained from the experiment, such as any limitations of the experiment or potential improvements for future experiments. For more specific examples, you could look at some example discussion sections from past lab reports to get an idea of how to structure your discussion.

Related to Help with writing prac report discussion D:

What is the purpose of the discussion section in a writing prac report?

The discussion section in a writing prac report serves to interpret and explain the results obtained in the experiment. It also allows for a critical analysis of the results and their implications, as well as for making connections to previous research and theories.

How should the discussion section be structured in a writing prac report?

The discussion section should typically start with a brief summary of the results, followed by an interpretation of those results. This can be followed by a comparison to previous research, an evaluation of any limitations of the study, and a discussion of the broader implications of the findings.

What should be included in the interpretation of results in the discussion section?

The interpretation of results in the discussion section should include an explanation of why the results were obtained, and how they align with the research question or hypothesis. Any unexpected or interesting findings should also be discussed and possible explanations offered.

How can I make my discussion section more effective?

To make your discussion section more effective, ensure that it is well-organized and clearly written. Use concise and specific language, and support your points with evidence from the results and relevant literature. Avoid introducing new information or repeating what has already been discussed.

What are some common mistakes to avoid in the discussion section of a writing prac report?

Common mistakes to avoid in the discussion section include simply restating the results without interpretation, making unsupported claims or generalizations, and ignoring any limitations or unexpected findings. It is also important to avoid introducing new information or discussing irrelevant details.