Atwood's Machine (Help with Lab Report Conclusion)

In summary, the conversation is about the conclusion for a lab report. The guidelines state that the results should be compared to the expected values and whether they are in agreement with the theoretical value. If the percentage error is smaller than the experimental error, then the results are considered to be in agreement. If the percentage error is larger, then the possible sources of error should be stated along with their expected impact on the results. The speaker is unsure about the difference between percent error and experimental error, and whether experimental error refers to percent uncertainty. They also mention that they repeated the measurements and calculated the average and standard deviation from the data.
johnhuntsman
All that's left to write in my lab report is the conclusion, and I'm failing to understand what my professor is requesting of me. In the guidelines it says,

"Compare your measurements to the expected values. State and discuss whether
your results are in agreement with the expected theoretical value. If the value of your
percentage error (percentage difference) is smaller than the value of your experimental
error, then your results are in agreement with the theoretical value within the limits of
experimental error. If the value of your percentage error (percentage difference) is much larger than the value of your experimental error, then you must describe the reason for this. State the possible sources of error and describe the expected impact of each of these errors on your experimental results."

When he refers to percent error I know what it is he's talking about, but what is experimental error? Does he mean percent uncertainty? Because I know that % Uncertainty ≥ % Error; or at least it should.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you repeated your measurement and got an average and standard deviation from the data?

ehild

Related to Atwood's Machine (Help with Lab Report Conclusion)

What is an Atwood's Machine?

An Atwood's Machine is a simple device used to study the principles of Newton's laws of motion. It consists of two masses connected by a string that runs over a pulley. The goal of this experiment is to analyze the relationship between the masses and their acceleration.

What are the main components of an Atwood's Machine?

The main components of an Atwood's Machine include two masses, a pulley, and a string. The masses are typically unequal in size and are connected by a string that runs over a frictionless pulley. The string may also be connected to a force sensor to measure the tension.

How do you calculate the acceleration of an Atwood's Machine?

The acceleration of an Atwood's Machine can be calculated using the formula: a = (m1 - m2)g / (m1 + m2), where m1 and m2 are the masses and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula is derived from Newton's second law, F=ma, and taking into account the tension in the string and the mass of the pulley.

What are some possible sources of error in an Atwood's Machine experiment?

Some possible sources of error in an Atwood's Machine experiment include friction in the pulley, air resistance on the masses, and human error in measuring the masses or timing the acceleration. It is important to minimize these sources of error to obtain accurate results.

How can the results of an Atwood's Machine experiment be applied to real-world situations?

The principles learned from an Atwood's Machine can be applied to real-world situations where forces and acceleration are involved. For example, understanding the relationship between masses and acceleration can be useful in designing machines and structures, such as elevators or bridges. It can also be applied to sports and athletics, where the movement of objects and bodies are affected by forces and acceleration.