Help with what I think it's an impossible integral

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the surface area of a volume obtained by rotating around both axes, specifically the x-axis. The equation 3y^2 = x(1-x)^2 was given and rewritten as y = √(x(1-x^2)/3). The surface area formula for parallel rotation was used and the derivative of the function was found, leading to an integral that was difficult to solve. There was also a discussion about potential mistakes in determining the integrand and using the correct variables in the formula.
stonecoldgen
So they give me the equation 3y2=x(1-x)2

The idea is to find the surface area of the volume obtained by rotating around both axes.

So let's start with a rotation around the x-axis, I decided to rewrite the equation as:
y=√(x(1-x2)/3)

I know that the surface area for a parallel rotation is S=∫2∏r√((dr/dx)2+1)

and I know the derivative of the function, so I end up with:

S=∫2∏r√2(1-3x2)/(6√(x-x3)/3))+1)

How the HELL am I supposed to integrate that?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you made a mistake in determining the integrand. What you have for the dy/dx is not what I got when I differentiated the function (you also write the function as containing x(1-x)^2 initially and then when you rewrite it in terms of y you have an x(1-x^2) but I believe I got something different when I used either). Also, it doesn't look like you squared the dy/dx in the integrand. Finally, keep in mind that the r is equal to the value of the function, so you have to plug that in (You give the function in terms of y, but then you have r and dr/dx in the formula - those should be y and dy/dx... in this case, the radius is the height of the function)

stonecoldgen said:
I know that the surface area for a parallel rotation is S=∫2∏r√((dr/dx)2+1)

and I know the derivative of the function, so I end up with:

S=∫2∏r√2(1-3x2)/(6√(x-x3)/3))+1)

How the HELL am I supposed to integrate that?

I can't even read that. Please consider typing up those integrals in LaTeX.

Related to Help with what I think it's an impossible integral

1. What is an impossible integral?

An impossible integral is a mathematical problem that cannot be solved using standard integration techniques. This usually occurs when the integral is too complex or involves functions that do not have known antiderivatives.

2. How do you know if an integral is impossible?

An integral can be deemed impossible if there is no known method for solving it or if all attempts at solving it have failed. In some cases, it may be possible to approximate the integral using numerical methods, but this is not always feasible.

3. Can an impossible integral be solved?

In most cases, an impossible integral cannot be solved exactly. However, there are some techniques that can be used to approximate the value of the integral or to find an approximate solution. These include numerical integration, series expansions, and computer algorithms.

4. Why are impossible integrals important?

Although impossible integrals may seem like abstract mathematical problems, they have real-world applications in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields. By attempting to solve them, scientists gain a deeper understanding of the underlying principles and can develop new techniques for solving similar problems in the future.

5. Is there a way to make an impossible integral solvable?

In some cases, it may be possible to manipulate the original integral or use a change of variables to transform it into a solvable form. However, this requires a deep understanding of integration techniques and is not always successful. In general, if an integral is deemed impossible, it is highly unlikely that it can be made solvable.