Help with VHDL Serial Port for Automated HVAC Thermostat

• Thread starter keith03
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Serial
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's experience with an automated HVAC thermostat project and their need for help with implementing a VB GUI and understanding their options for serial communication. They also mention their previous use of Quartus and their switch to ISE for FPGA, seeking advice on any potential pitfalls. They mention finding resources for open source serial port drivers on GitHub.
keith03
Ok. I had a VHDL class last year, and I have muscled through a project that I started on my own, but now I am a bit stuck. I implemented an automated HVAC thermostat that will moniter each room individually. Each room had a 4 bit parallel input that was muxed into a state machine. The set point was also muxed in, and set through dip switches. I would like to make a VB GUI that will allow for serial comm. Through this, I would like to get the current room temp, and also change the set points. I need help in laying out my intentions here. I really don't know where to go next. I have found example UARTs online, and I don't completely undrstand exactly what my options are here. My first thought is to create a state machine that looks for a specific word of data, and then looks at my existing "code." I really am a bit confused. Anybody have some good design approaches to this? I would like to understand how. Thanks ahead of time.

Also, all of my work before was for a PLD using Quartus, this time I am using ISE with a FPGA. Any major do's and dont's with the switch? I figured out how things are suppose to work through tutorials and tooling around, but I don't want to screw anything up. Thanks again.

Engineering news on Phys.org

Related to Help with VHDL Serial Port for Automated HVAC Thermostat

What is VHDL and how is it used in an automated HVAC thermostat?

VHDL (Very High Speed Integrated Circuit Hardware Description Language) is a programming language used to describe digital and mixed-signal systems. In an automated HVAC thermostat, VHDL is used to program the microcontroller that controls the thermostat's functions and interfaces with the serial port.

What is a serial port and why is it important for an automated HVAC thermostat?

A serial port is a hardware interface that allows data to be transferred one bit at a time. In an automated HVAC thermostat, the serial port is used to communicate with other devices, such as sensors and actuators, to collect data and control the temperature and other settings.

How can VHDL be used to control the serial port in an automated HVAC thermostat?

VHDL can be used to program the microcontroller to send and receive data through the serial port. This includes setting the baud rate, configuring the data format, and handling error checking and synchronization.

What are the benefits of using VHDL for an automated HVAC thermostat?

VHDL allows for a high level of control and customization in programming the microcontroller for an automated HVAC thermostat. It also allows for easier debugging and testing of the code, and the ability to easily make changes and updates as needed.

Are there any potential challenges or limitations when using VHDL for an automated HVAC thermostat?

Some challenges with using VHDL for an automated HVAC thermostat may include a steep learning curve for those who are not familiar with the language, and potential compatibility issues with different microcontrollers and hardware components. It may also require more time and resources for development compared to using pre-made thermostat systems.