Help with Vectors: Force of Friction problem

In summary, the conversation discusses Mr. Mcgoo pulling a sled with children on it at a constant speed. The force of friction on the sled is being questioned, with the given information of a pulling force of 329.461 N at an angle of 17° above the horizontal. The conversation also touches on the concept of breaking down vectors into horizontal and vertical components, and how the friction force is equal and opposite to the horizontal component of the pulling force.
LeonM
"Mr Mcgoo pulls a sled with several children on it at a constant speed. If he pulls with a force of 329.461 N at an angle of 17° above the horizontal, what is the force of friction on the sled?"

Not sure if i even drew the picture right(is it like a triangle, but it doesn't say hill, don't understand the whole "horizontal" thing), but i can't figure how to solve this.

I drew a picture(which may have been incorrect) and identified the Fρ(parallel force) as being 329.461 N and i need to find Ff. I also have the knowledge that Ff is the equal and opposite of Fρ.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Leon welcome to PF!

Looks like perhaps the sled is being pulled along a level surface, and the pulling force of 329 N is applied at an angle 17 degrees above the horizontal. Wording is not fully clear, but that is how I would read it. What is the component of that pulling force in the horizontal direction?

Not sure what you mean by component? Do you mean direction, if so, I am not sure, just assuming east.

LeonM said:
Not sure what you mean by component? Do you mean direction, if so, I am not sure, just assuming east.
Yes, any vector directed in two dimensions can be thought of as having an influence in two different directions. That is, it can be thought of as having two parts. Each part of a two-dimensional vector is known as a component. If the sled is moving left to right (west to east), the force F, applied 17 degrees above the horizontal, can be broken up into its easterly and northerly components, using basic trig and the properties of a right triangle. What is the easterly component of F? What is the direction of the friction force? Is the friction force equal to the easterly component of F? Why?

Right, Right. So the east component would be 329.461 N, which would give you the adjacent side of 17°. After finding all the sides I will have my Fp which would be the hypotenuse, and Ff is equal or opposite Fp(my answer). If I am not mistaken?

First, I am not sure if you are describing the problem correctly. How exactly is it worded? I don't know why the problem would give an applied force accurate to the nearest thousandth of a Newton. The applied force is the hypotenuse. The horizontal component must be calculated.

Related to Help with Vectors: Force of Friction problem

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical representation of a quantity that has both magnitude (size or amount) and direction. In physics, vectors are often used to describe forces, velocities, and other physical quantities.

2. How do you calculate the force of friction?

The force of friction can be calculated using the formula F = μN, where F is the force of friction, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force.

3. What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a dimensionless value that represents the amount of friction between two surfaces. It is typically denoted by the Greek letter μ (mu) and can range from 0 (no friction) to 1 (maximum friction).

4. How do you determine the direction of the force of friction?

The direction of the force of friction is always opposite to the direction of motion or potential motion between two surfaces. In other words, it acts to oppose the motion or potential motion.

5. Can you have a negative force of friction?

Yes, the force of friction can be negative when it acts in the opposite direction to the motion or potential motion. This can occur, for example, when an object is pushed or pulled in a direction that is opposite to the direction of friction.