Help with understanding this rigid-body equilibrium problem

• Thread starter Kolika28
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equilibrium
In summary, the two problems that the expert has been working on lately are problems where the equations are applied to different objects than what is stated in the problem. In the first problem, the pole is applied to the string, but why not the box? And in the second problem, the point where the three strings meet is applied to the box, but why not the pole? The expert recommends that if you are having trouble understanding a problem, to practice, time and patience. Practice will help you understand the problem better, and time will help you collect information which will help you determine the magnitudes and directions of forces and moments.
Kolika28
Homework Statement
I have a hard time understanding rigid-body equilibrium problem, especially when it a system of several objects. Sorry for asking so much here, but my exam is coming up and I really want to make sure that I try to understand all the things that makes me confussed.
Relevant Equations
##\sum F_x=0##
##\sum F_y=0##
##\sum \tau=0##
So here are two problems I have been working with lately:
1591480954147.png

1591480992588.png

I have solved both, so I don't need the help to find the answers. The thing that confusses me is which object one should choose to apply the equations above. When it comes to the first problem, we apply the equations to the pole, but why not the box? And in second problem, we apply them to the point where the three strings meet. I had to look at the solution to find out which object or point I should focus on. But I'm afraid it won't be obvious to me on the exam what object or point to pick. Does anyone have some tips?

Physics news on Phys.org
Kolika28 said:
which object one should choose
some tips?
Make free body diagrams. The ones for W, pulley or wire in the first problem and the ones for the masses and the pulleys in the second problem will be boring. The obvious key candidates will pop up pretty soon.

Likes Kolika28
For torques:

You can compute torques about any point you wish. Given that freedom, you should pick the point that will lead to the easiest computations. In particular, if a force is acting at a point, and you compute torques about that same point, that force will not contribute a torque because the distance to the point is zero, so that's one torque less to worry about. Such simplifications are the first things I look for when choosing where I'm computing torques about.

For forces:

In the first problem, I would not bother writing it down for the box, because it's in a simple enough situation where you can figure out the tension in the string in your mind.

Same for box 1 and 3 in the second problem.

In an exam, you might still want to write it down just to show the person who will correct that you understood.

Likes Kolika28, Lnewqban and Delta2
Kolika28 said:
Homework Statement:: I have a hard time understanding rigid-body equilibrium problem, especially when it a system of several objects. Sorry for asking so much here, but my exam is coming up and I really want to make sure that I try to understand all the things that makes me confused.
The thing that confusses me is which object one should choose to apply the equations above. When it comes to the first problem, we apply the equations to the pole, but why not the box? And in second problem, we apply them to the point where the three strings meet. I had to look at the solution to find out which object or point I should focus on. But I'm afraid it won't be obvious to me on the exam what object or point to pick. Does anyone have some tips?

Please, don't be sorry for asking; somebody here will always be happy to help you.
These problems require practice, time and patience.

Normally, the questions will guide you to the object which forces you need to analyze, decompose in their x and y components and later calculate.
If you apply the equations to the wrong object or point of a mechanism, you soon will understand that such choice is not taking you too far.

Nothing lost at that point, other than time, you keep going with other points and keep collecting information that will help you determine the magnitudes and directions of forces and moments.

Likes Kolika28 and Delta2
Thank you so much everybody for your relplies, I really appreciate it!:smile: I will now try to solve some more problems like this with your comments in mind, and see if I understand it better now.

Likes PhDeezNutz

Related to Help with understanding this rigid-body equilibrium problem

1. What is a rigid-body equilibrium problem?

A rigid-body equilibrium problem is a physics problem that involves analyzing the forces acting on a rigid body (an object that does not deform under the influence of external forces) to determine if it is in a state of equilibrium (when all forces acting on the body cancel each other out and the body is not moving or rotating).

2. How do I approach solving a rigid-body equilibrium problem?

To solve a rigid-body equilibrium problem, you must first draw a free-body diagram of the object, indicating all the forces acting on it. Then, you can use Newton's laws of motion and the equations of equilibrium (sum of forces and sum of torques equal to zero) to analyze the forces and determine the unknown quantities.

3. What are the common types of forces encountered in rigid-body equilibrium problems?

The most common types of forces encountered in rigid-body equilibrium problems are weight (due to gravity), normal force (perpendicular to a surface), tension (pulling force along a string or cable), and friction (resistance to motion).

4. What are the key principles to keep in mind when solving a rigid-body equilibrium problem?

The key principles to keep in mind when solving a rigid-body equilibrium problem are: 1) the body is in a state of equilibrium when all forces and torques acting on it are balanced, 2) forces can be resolved into components along different axes, and 3) the sum of forces and the sum of torques must equal zero for a body to be in equilibrium.

5. What are some tips for successfully solving rigid-body equilibrium problems?

Some tips for successfully solving rigid-body equilibrium problems include: 1) carefully drawing a clear and accurate free-body diagram, 2) labeling all forces and angles, 3) using trigonometry to resolve forces into components, 4) setting up and solving equations of equilibrium, and 5) double-checking your work to ensure all forces and torques are balanced.