Rigid body equilibrium problem

In summary, the equation for the torque on the vertical wall does not seem to be working. And it seems that the equation might be missing something.
dbag123
Homework Statement
Determine the lenght of h with respect to b so that the water flows.
Relevant Equations
sum of moments at the hinge
Hello
j.png

Ihave gotten as far as coming up with an equation for the sum of moments and it goes as follows: bh*1/2b-1/2hb*1/3b=0 the answer for h i get is wrong and i don't know if i am missing something. moment arm on the b is 1/2b and the moment arm on h is 1/3h because of the way water pressure works , meaning its a uniform load in the shape of triangle. bh is my way of writing the force as a point load acting on the levers. The answer to this problem is supposed to be h= √3 *b. Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
dbag123 said:
sum of moments and it goes as follows: bh*1/2b-1/2hb*1/3b=0
In your expression for the torque on the vertical wall, why does b enter in?

jbriggs444 said:
In your expression for the torque on the vertical wall, why does b enter in?
my thinking was that replacing the acting force with the area of water would be of help, but yeah its not helping

dbag123 said:
my thinking was that replacing the acting force with the area of water would be of help, but yeah its not helping
I do not think that you are catching on. The wall is h meters high, not b meters high.

jbriggs444 said:
I do not think that you are catching on. The wall is h meters high, not b meters high.
My thinking was that the resultant force acting on the vertical Wall would be 1/2hb(area of triangle) and the moment arm 1/3h from the hinge and the product of these 2 then the moment

dbag123 said:
My thinking was that the resultant force acting on the vertical Wall would be 1/2hb(area of triangle) and the moment arm 1/3h from the hinge and the product of these 2 then the moment
The average pressure on the wall is proportional to the height of the wall. The higher the wall, the higher the average pressure.

The total force on the wall is proportional to the height of the wall [times the average pressure]. The higher the wall, the higher the total force.

The total torque on the wall is proportional to the height of the wall [times the total force]. The higher the wall, the higher the total torque.

The length of the floor segment does not enter into the calculation of torque on the vertical wall. You can use a triangle to calculate the force on the vertical wall. Just not the particular triangle you have in mind.

jbriggs444 said:
The average pressure on the wall is proportional to the height of the wall. The higher the wall, the higher the average pressure.

The total force on the wall is proportional to the height of the wall [times the average pressure]. The higher the wall, the higher the total force.

The total torque on the wall is proportional to the height of the wall [times the total force]. The higher the wall, the higher the total torque.

The length of the floor segment does not enter into the calculation of torque on the vertical wall. You can use a triangle to calculate the force on the vertical wall. Just not the particular triangle you have in mind.

And that's why my moment equation does not work. Thank you.

Related to Rigid body equilibrium problem

What is a rigid body equilibrium problem?

A rigid body equilibrium problem is a physics problem that involves finding the position and orientation of a rigid object in equilibrium under the influence of external forces and torques. A rigid body is an object that does not deform under the action of applied forces.

What are the necessary conditions for a rigid body to be in equilibrium?

A rigid body is in equilibrium when the sum of all external forces acting on it is equal to zero and the sum of all external torques acting on it is also equal to zero. This means that the object is not accelerating in any direction and is not rotating.

How do you solve a rigid body equilibrium problem?

To solve a rigid body equilibrium problem, you need to first draw a free body diagram of the object, showing all the external forces and torques acting on it. Then, apply Newton's laws of motion and the principle of moments to find the unknown forces and torques. Finally, check your solution by ensuring that the object is in equilibrium according to the necessary conditions.

What are some common types of rigid body equilibrium problems?

Some common types of rigid body equilibrium problems include calculating the forces and torques needed to keep a structure or object from collapsing, determining the weight distribution on a beam or bridge, and analyzing the stability of a structure under different loading conditions.

Why is understanding rigid body equilibrium important?

Understanding rigid body equilibrium is important in many fields of science and engineering, such as structural engineering, biomechanics, and aerospace engineering. It allows us to analyze and design stable and safe structures, machines, and systems that can withstand external forces and maintain their equilibrium.